Chord Rumour 2 / Odyssey 2

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by digitalfm, Jul 13, 2015.

1. digitalfm

digitalfm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

My setup is a 5.1 set of Monitor Audio Apex and Denon 5200w Receiver.

I'm currently running QED silver anniversary XT cable.

I'm looking to upgrade and like the look of the Chord Rumour 2 / Odyssey 2.

Given i'm threading the front and rear surrounds through trunking in the wall, the Odyssey is a bit thick, however I could use Odyssey for the Centre channel (which is a bigger speaker to the surrounds anyway), and Rumour 2 for the Front / rear surrounds.

Has anyone tried this combination and do you think it will give me a better sound than simply Rumour 2 all round. Or actually would I notice no difference on this type of speaker?

Has anyone compared the Chord Rumour/Odyssey to the QED SA XT also? Did the Chord out perform?

Would appreciate your thoughts.

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,572
    ' Or actually would I notice no difference' - unless the gauge of the installed cable is causing a problem or the materials used are poor quality (unlikely with QED) you are not going to be 'upgrading' anything by changing loudspeaker cables.

Speaker Wire

Joe

3. digitalfm

digitalfm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Is that because the Odyssey is not a better cable than the QED?
    Given its almost 3 times the cost I expected some sound improvements. I know for HDMI it's different eg digital signal etc but for speaker cables I thought generally the better the cable the better the sound.

Has anyone compared the two?

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,572
    'Is that because the Odyssey is not a better cable than the QED?' - read through the link in post #2!

Joe

5. digitalfm

digitalfm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Interesting read.

So basically everyone on forums that say they improved sound by switching cables, and the hifi mags that compare cables, review and rate them, are effectively all wrong. A cable costing £5 will sound as good as a cable 10 times that amount if all other connections remain equal.

The article is technically brilliant, but not sure I'm fully bought into this, or I might as well get some clean copper cables for £3 quid and laugh at the rest of the world who have spent more.

It's like saying all engines produce the same horse power because at the end of the day it's just a mixture of fuel and air.
    Although you've probably frightened off anyone from now replying saying they noticed a difference, I'd still welcome anyone who noticed a difference :).

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,572
    There are a gazillion web pages dedicated to 'speaker cables do/don't make a difference' - there is also an unclaimed prize of a million dollars for anyone (hobbyist or cable manufacturer) who can consistently identify speaker cables in a blind audio test!

Unless your installed cable is too skinny or made from really poor quality copper I'd leave it well alone and look elsewhere in your room/system if you want to upgrade your system.

It should be pretty simple to prove/disprove my approach - borrow some of the cable you are interested in (cables have huge markups so any local dealer will be only too happy to loan you some :)), employ a willing helper to swap cables around without you knowing which is which and off you go.

Alternatively post some pics of your room/kit layout and some detail on your kit and folk will suggest some alternative upgrade options.

Joe

7. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Just read some of the nonense that these "expensive" cable companies claim is science to justify their price.

"Directional Network Cable" being one of my favourite, you have to think that if they can come up with this "Tosh" what else is just marketing