Chord qutest vs Naim uniti atom , a matter of poorer SQ from qutest!

Rupert123

Novice Member
Hi,

I have a dilemma which I am trying to resolve! I have a Naim uniti Atom which is hooked up to a gryphon Diablo 300 which feeds B&W 802 d3. I use hi res steaming via quboz and tidal.

I have been wanting to upgrade my SQ and as the atom is a all in one box, I decided to go the separates way.

I got an innuos zen mini mk3 as a streamer and hooked it to a chord qutest external dac via usb ( have tried optical digital as well). The sound quality of the atom sounds better, has more sharpness, depth and the music feels more engaging. The sound from the qutest ( rca output) sounds in comparison dull and flat.....

I am a bit gobsmacked as I have heard so many good things about the qutest. I have a LPSU powering the qutest as well but it’s still not as good as the atom..

any thoughts or ideas as to why this is happening. I desperately wanted the qutest to sound better but just feels soft and not detailed as the Naim.

Rupert

Pauel

Standard Member
I cant understand how come you got both gryphon and atom.
Looks like you should have taken something like naim nac 272 - a streaming dac/preamp, or, say, another cool streamer with proper dac/preamp - aurender a10, auralic vega, etc.

Rupert123

Novice Member
Thanks for your suggestions. I had the atom before getting the gryphon. Once I got the gryphon, I decided to go the separated route as the atom couldn’t output a digital signal and there wasn’t a clear upgrade route for the front end.

Craig uk

Just wondering is the Atom pulling from Zen mini too? And also are you referring to streaming or playing files from HHD? There are a lot of benefits for a one box solution especially for streaming purposes.

Rupert123

Novice Member
Just wondering is the Atom pulling from Zen mini too? And also are you referring to streaming or playing files from HHD? There are a lot of benefits for a one box solution especially for streaming purposes.
The atom is used for streaming via tidal.I was planning to sell the atom expecting the sq of the zen mini plus qutest to be higher, but was surprised when that wasn’t the case

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom