Chord Mojo fixed 3v output.

Alex P79

Hi - after quite a lot of research, the Chord Mojo appears to be a good fit (sound quality/compact size/battery operation - limited number of plugs in room) for upgrading the DAC on a DVD player I have upstairs. This is used with an Arcam A18 amplifier and Piega TS3 speakers. My main question concerns the fixed 3v output when the Chord is used as a hifi DAC. Is this too high a voltage for the A18 to cope with? Most digital separates output at circa 2v (Arcam products seem to be 2.1v). Has anyone used the Mojo in this configuration and has the higher output been an issue overdriving the input stage of their amplifier?

The Arcam has a very clean sound that will match the Chord well. Unfortunately, unlike its bigger brothers, the A18 does not have input trims. However, I do have some -10db in-line attenuators that could be used if required.

Thanks in advance.

Alex

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
You could use the attenuators or use the variable output on the Mojo at 3/4 volume. Better to not overdrive the input on the amp if possible.

If you intend on using the mojo in a fixed system plugged into the mains at all times then I would do a search on the battery life/issues that some have reported when used in this manner.

acgingersnaps

Hi - after quite a lot of research, the Chord Mojo appears to be a good fit (sound quality/compact size/battery operation - limited number of plugs in room) for upgrading the DAC on a DVD player I have upstairs. This is used with an Arcam A18 amplifier and Piega TS3 speakers. My main question concerns the fixed 3v output when the Chord is used as a hifi DAC. Is this too high a voltage for the A18 to cope with? Most digital separates output at circa 2v (Arcam products seem to be 2.1v). Has anyone used the Mojo in this configuration and has the higher output been an issue overdriving the input stage of their amplifier?

The Arcam has a very clean sound that will match the Chord well. Unfortunately, unlike its bigger brothers, the A18 does not have input trims. However, I do have some -10db in-line attenuators that could be used if required.

Thanks in advance.

Alex
I have a Mojo, plugged into a Cyrus One. If you set the volume to 0 and then go up 68 times, it sets the output to 1.9v. I think that 69 might be 2.1v, but I'm not 100%. It also remembers this setting every time you turn it on. The colours on the up and down buttons should be an identical light purple. I've had no issues with the battery, but do unplug it from time to time to run it down and recharge.

Alex P79

Thank you for the responses. It seems that it would be possible run the Mojo at sub 3v output - running it at circa 2v sounds ideal. Ref charging, I have checked the owner's manual (downloaded from the Chord website) and they suggest any USB socket capable of delivering 1amp will do the job. This is possible but not always ideal - has anyone purchased/safely used a suitable standalone charger USB A type charger? I would not leave the unit permanently on charge, rather I would charge it up when needed only.

Regarding cables, what 75 ohm coax to 3.5 mm coax does anyone use? Also, does anyone recommend a good quality 3.5mm stereo to phono connector for the unit's output? I am thinking up to about £30-£40 each.

Alex P79

The amp also has a 3.5 mm stereo input on the front panel if this is recommended or are good quality phonos a superior option?

3rdignis

Amazon basics 3.5mm to Phono

I used usb from tv to charge mojo.

Try volume control on mojo and processor mode on arcam.
@Alex P79

acgingersnaps

USB from PC Mojo. USB from plug to Mojo. I have just repurposed a phone charger. 3.5mm to RCA from Mojo to Amp. Don't worry about expensive USB cables. For the RCA cable £30 should be perfectly sufficient for decent quality interconnects. Don't use the coax, so can't comment.

Alex P79

Thanks for the info. Using the Arcam in processor mode is an interesting idea and would give me options to get the best results.

Top Bottom