Chord MOJO discontinued...now what ?

Was it in a sealed original packaging? I bought my Mojo "refurbished" and it had clearly never been opened and somebody had just returned it under distance selling regs.

For first use it needs a long charge.

You can at least judge whether you like the sound? If you do and it is just a battery problem it is probably worth getting RS to sort (it is an easy fix). If you don't then at least you have tried it and lost no money.

I own both a Mojo and a 2Qute and it is very difficult to choose between them. Tiny, tiny differences.
yeah. i am trying to charge it fully again (till the LED beneath the charging port turns off according to the manual).

It was sealed but damaged box. it looked like it has been sealed back. It came with an "Amazon Renewed" leaflet too....so weird !

yeah. i am trying to charge it fully again (till the LED beneath the charging port turns off according to the manual).

It was sealed but damaged box. it looked like it has been sealed back. It came with an "Amazon Renewed" leaflet too....so weird !

Let us know how you get on. My Mojo is good for about 8 hours use on a full charge.

Let us know how you get on. My Mojo is good for about 8 hours use on a full charge.
I really think the battery is dead. i tried to leave it on charge for 8h. The battery LED was still white (although it should turn off when fully charged according to manual) but when i unplug it from the charger, the battery LED is blue.

Using it now on battery and the battery LED level is going down quickly...to the red. so battery is clearly dead.

Emailed with RS, they would refund but can not replace as it depends on stocks of refurbished (and if new, would have to pay the difference...ah !).

BUT i can buy a replacement battery for £45 OR can take the battery out completely as i want to use it as a desktop DAC anyway so can leave it plugged to my macbook for power (buy a splitter Thunderbolt to 2 micro USB i guess).

so still testing if i prefer this to Ifi go blu.

OR can take the battery out completely as i want to use it as a desktop DAC
I'd be wary of that. I used mine permanently plugged in, when I had one, and it made a quiet but audible high pitched noise. A search of the Internet revealed that I was by no means the only person that this happened with.
If it's to be used as a desktop DAC, I would buy a purpose built desktop DAC, personally. There are shed loads for the same money, or considerably less, that will perform just as well.

I'd be wary of that. I used mine permanently plugged in, when I had one, and it made a quiet but audible high pitched noise. A search of the Internet revealed that I was by no means the only person that this happened with.
If it's to be used as a desktop DAC, I would buy a purpose built desktop DAC, personally. There are shed loads for the same money, or considerably less, that will perform just as well.

Did you take the battery out ? or did you leave it in, just power plugged in all the time ?

Yes, i read about that noise too. need to investigate further.

There are other desktop DAC but i also want to be able to transport it easily (between home and office) so need to be on the "small" size. Although i read many reviews saying the Mojo was still performing much much better for its category ? would you have any other recommendations ?

Sold mine, went back to my Topping D30, and used the proceeds of the Mojo to sale to buy new AKG K712k Pro's and a Schiit Magni Heresy. Haven't regretted doing so for a second.

Did you take the battery out ? or did you leave it in, just power plugged in all the time ?
Left it in. Didn't realise that taking it out was an option.

Left it in. Didn't realise that taking it out was an option.
its a bit of a DIY but very easy to do it seems. loads of youtube videos.
one good one is this :

i have the Neumann NDH 20 which are great. but how can a a £120 DAC be as good as a £400 ? without being snobbish and of course, everybody has a different "ear". Or was it a case the difference in quality was not worth the price difference ?

Last edited:
but how can a a £120 DAC be as good as a £400 ? without being snobbish and of course, everybody has a different "ear". Or was it a case the difference in quality was not worth the price difference ?
This is my opinion and I appreciate that there's more than a little similarity between this and the eternal cable debate, but I'm in no way convinced about the difference between DAC's. I've done A/B testing with several in the past, includimg a session with the Mojo and D30. There might have been a marginal differences, but that's all they were. I'd say that, assuming you have a well designed DAC, good source material is far more important. HD streams, lossless files, etc.

As an example, if Fiio can produce a very decent DAC for under £25, who's to say that Topping can't do an excellent one for 5x the price?
Honestly, if you haven't heard this, buy it and have a listen to how well you can do for the price of a new LP. It should put the cost of expensive DACs into perspective. Is it the best ever? No. Is it more than acceptable for the money? Yes. Definitely.

Amazon product ASIN B009346RSS

For what its worth, I found the Chord Mojo VASTLY superior to the IfI Go Blu...I have been trying 3 songs streaming from Amazon HD @ 24 bit/96 kHz with both and Chord Mojo is really a lot better for me. iFi was £200 and the refurbished Mojo was £260 ( i know these two are slightly aimed at different usage but just judging sound).

Can Richer Sounds not fix the battery? It comes with a warranty!

This is my opinion and I appreciate that there's more than a little similarity between this and the eternal cable debate, but I'm in no way convinced about the difference between DAC's. I've done A/B testing with several in the past, includimg a session with the Mojo and D30. There might have been a marginal differences, but that's all they were. I'd say that, assuming you have a well designed DAC, good source material is far more important. HD streams, lossless files, etc.

As an example, if Fiio can produce a very decent DAC for under £25, who's to say that Topping can't do an excellent one for 5x the price?
Honestly, if you haven't heard this, buy it and have a listen to how well you can do for the price of a new LP. It should put the cost of expensive DACs into perspective. Is it the best ever? No. Is it more than acceptable for the money? Yes. Definitely.

Amazon product ASIN B009346RSS

There are measurable differences between DACs and they do not all perform identically.

There is a separate debate about whether those measured differences translate into subjective performance and, if so, how much.

The Chord DAVE is the best measuring DAC I have seen.

There are measurable differences between DACs and they do not all perform identically.
Agreed.

There is a separate debate about whether those measured differences translate into subjective performance and, if so, how much
For the most part i don't think that the differences are very big.

Agreed.

For the most part i don't think that the differences are very big.

I think they are like everything else in HiFi - diminishing gains and require you to spend ever more lavish sums on the rest of the kit to spot the differences!

That said, I can very clearly hear differences between the DAC in my Arcam CD player, Chord Mojo, and Chord 2Qute, even once level-matched.

Can Richer Sounds not fix the battery? It comes with a warranty!
I have asked specifically and they seem to reply on this item, they can refund or replace (if they have in stock), not repair.

I have asked specifically and they seem to reply on this item, they can refund or replace (if they have in stock), not repair.

That is ridiculous.

customer service is checking with the service center...but not guaranteed as they "can struggle to source the spare parts"

Have you tried contacting Chord directly? They will be able to tell you if the batteries are available.

Have you tried contacting Chord directly? They will be able to tell you if the batteries are available.
oh i know where to find the battery (audio sanctuary sells it for £42 and i send the link to RS!!). i just want RS to pay for it ! not me !

oh i know where to find the battery (audio sanctuary sells it for £42 and i send the link to RS!!). i just want RS to pay for it ! not me !
Hi there,

I was obviously sorry to read of the problems you have been having with your chord Mojo and offer my apologies.

So that I may investigate further, and resolve the matter to your satisfaction, please could you drop me a PM with your details?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Tom Griffiths
Head of Customer Service
Richer Sounds

Hi there,

I was obviously sorry to read of the problems you have been having with your chord Mojo and offer my apologies.

So that I may investigate further, and resolve the matter to your satisfaction, please could you drop me a PM with your details?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Tom Griffiths
Head of Customer Service
Richer Sounds
thank you. Any update ?

If the rest of your system is up to it, I recommend NJC audio's reference series dac ii. A fantastic unit and a great little company from the Devon area, the guys give a real personal touch and keep you updated of the build...yes they build these to order with a three year warranty.I have both the dac and headphone amplifier, but also use the dac into my exposure 31010s2d.

If the rest of your system is up to it, I recommend NJC audio's reference series dac ii. A fantastic unit and a great little company from the Devon area, the guys give a real personal touch and keep you updated of the build...yes they build these to order with a three year warranty.I have both the dac and headphone amplifier, but also use the dac into my exposure 31010s2d.
its a bit above my price range but i like the idea. will look into it

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom