Chord MOJO discontinued...now what ?

acgingersnaps

DACs do make a big difference and those asserting otherwise I can only surmise do not have sufficiently resolving systems/ears to identify differences.
DAC's make a difference. Not a big one though. If you're not happy with your system sound, changing the speakers and room dynamics can make a massive difference. Changing your DAC, assuming it's not broken, is just tinkering around the edges.

shug4476

DAC's make a difference. Not a big one though. If you're not happy with your system sound, changing the speakers and room dynamics can make a massive difference. Changing your DAC, assuming it's not broken, is just tinkering around the edges.

The speaker/room interaction is paramount, that much is true. The difference between the DAC in my Arcam CD93T, the Chord Mojo, and a Chord 2Qute was easily discernible through my Townshend pre.

There was a big jump between the Arcam and either Chord, but a more subtle distinction betewen the two Chord DACs.

I would love to try a Hugo TT or a DAVE, something from dCS etc.

gava

Yes. I am using/testing your 2nd option. Although I do not think it’s possible to turn the AirPods Max off when you have them on your head anyway (your 3rd option) .

The DAC is £220 and the APM are £450 so yes, for £670 I am sure there are better wired options (what would you recommend out of curiosity) but I also need a good wireless headphones for other settings/activities. That’s why I wanted to try to use the APM….

Thank you for your help so far !

TLDR;
iFi GO + Hifman Sundara. £500 all in.

For portability you should have something with:
1. USB + Bluetooth for convenience. (Ideally with BT LDAC though it sounds like sadly you may be an Apple person - but LDAC in case you ever upgrade to a phone that supports it)
2. Plenty of power to drive any sort of headphone.
3. Balanced and unbalanced connections - mostly with headphones that's just a power thing.

I have not seen any reviews of the new iFi yet but for £500 buying today I would choose something like:

DAC/Amp

There is a very good selection of nice headphones floating in an absolute sea of trash.

Open Back
  • Hifiman Sundara £300
  • Sennheiser HD560S £170
  • Sennheiser HD660S £430
  • AKG K712 Pro £220
  • Beyerdynamic DT series are all respectable.
Closed Back
  • AKG K371 £100
  • Neumann NDH 20 £420
  • Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO or M £170
  • Sony MDR-7506 £85
  • Audio-Technica ATH-M50x or M70x £250
  • Meze 99 Classic £200
Semi Open Back
  • FOSTEX T60RP SEMI-OPEN REGULAR PHASE HEADPHONES £200

Any of which will put you into a different sound class to the Apple stuff.

acgingersnaps

Open Back
  • Hifiman Sundara £300
  • Sennheiser HD560S £170
  • Sennheiser HD660S £430
  • AKG K712 Pro £220
I use the 712's. They are brilliant for the money. The only headphones I've ever owned that give me a satisfactory experience with my vinyl. They are so well balanced across the sound spectrum and are a joy for any sort of music.
However, if you plan to ever use them out and about, open backed is not the way forward. I have wireless buds for that.

Steven

Senior Moderator
Open Back
  • Hifiman Sundara £300
  • Sennheiser HD560S £170
  • Sennheiser HD660S £430
  • AKG K712 Pro £220

Would remove the HD560S and HD660S and insert the HD600 or HD650

Beyer only if you like the wonky etched treble peak, for example you are studio mixing so want the detail more forward compared to the smoother Sennheiser HD600 / HD650 sound

Your mileage may vary 😎

shug4476

Would remove the HD560S and HD660S and insert the HD600 or HD650

Beyer only if you like the wonky etched treble peak, for example you are studio mixing so want the detail more forward compared to the smoother Sennheiser HD600 / HD650 sound

Your mileage may vary 😎

I was going to say the same. The HD660/700/800 are actually unlistenable with some recordings.

The HD600 is a fantastic piece of kit and at current prices is a no brainer.

thesquale

TLDR;

1. USB + Bluetooth for convenience. (Ideally with BT LDAC though it sounds like sadly you may be an Apple person - but LDAC in case you ever upgrade to a phone that supports it)
3. Balanced and unbalanced connections - mostly with headphones that's just a power thing.

I have not seen any reviews of the new iFi yet but for £500 buying today I would choose something like:

DAC/Amp

There is a very good selection of nice headphones floating in an absolute sea of trash.

Open Back
  • Hifiman Sundara £300
  • Sennheiser HD560S £170
  • Sennheiser HD660S £430
  • AKG K712 Pro £220
Closed Back
  • AKG K371 £100
  • Neumann NDH 20 £420
  • Sony MDR-7506 £85
  • Meze 99 Classic £200
Semi Open Back

thank you for taking the time to give all these options !!! really appreciated .

Yes....i do have Apple Macs and phones...

so for the DAC/Amp, these are options that can connect with BT to the source hardware (phone or Macbook) or USB direct (i suppose this connection is better)?

Ideally, i am trying to have just one set of headphones at home or at the office (which could be noisy) so yes, a closed back is the preferred option (i did try open backs before and it does not work for me).

Combination of iFi GO BLU and the Neumann NDH 20 gets to £560 all in. Just a tad cheaper than just the APM+cable price ! but now i need to find another wireless headphone to watch movies (the APM was also used and connected to a Shield and Amazon HD stick!).

Thank you all . Great advice as usual.

thesquale

TLDR;

DAC/Amp

Open Back
  • Hifiman Sundara £300
  • Sennheiser HD560S £170
  • Sennheiser HD660S £430
  • AKG K712 Pro £220
Closed Back
  • AKG K371 £100
  • Neumann NDH 20 £420
  • Sony MDR-7506 £85
  • Meze 99 Classic £200
Semi Open Back

Hello !

So went for the Neuman NDH 20 + iFi GO blu.

I have both Amazon HD and Apple Music on free trials.

Any recommandation on what to test these on ? i know the obvious answer is "test it on what you usually listen to..." but i am curious (and i listent to all genres all the time) if there are any Albums that are quite interesting to test on Lossless/FLAC ? when trying out headphones...

thank you

gibbsy

Any recommandation on what to test these on ? i know the obvious answer is "test it on what you usually listen to..." but i am curious (and i listent to all genres all the time) if there are any Albums that are quite interesting to test on Lossless/FLAC ? when trying out headphones...
I always use the Steven Wilson remix of Jethro Tull Songs from the Wood. Another good album with great range and soundstage is Carly Simon's Anticipation, the percussion is superb. For me it will be CDs or SACDs when auditioning headphones or headphone amps. For soundstage and instrument separation I use Holst's The Planets as the individual tracks go from loud and exciting to very quiet with a choral work in the on the last track.

It is true though that you should listen to music you know really well. Headphones especially will have their failings and you may pick up on those rather than the good bits. Closed backs will be weaker in bass than open back. Good recordings are essential though as there is no hiding place with headphones.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Here’s my kit test list, the majority are well recorded but between them have male and female vocals, studio/radio statio/club/larger room acoustics, some acapella, some deep lows, some dense mixes, I guess the only thing missing is a bit of classical. You should be able to find most on Apple Or Amazon.

Note - don’t play the James Blake track too loud first time round, it has some very low frequencies in there at fairly high levels, ease your woofers in gently.

Otherwise, as @gibbsy says, Steven Wilson produced stuff is normally very good, Daft Punk and Steely Dan also have good production too. You can have a look at DRWars database for your favourites, typically any track / album with a DR over 12 will sound pretty good.

acgingersnaps

Here’s my kit test list, the majority are well recorded but between them have male and female vocals, studio/radio statio/club/larger room acoustics, some acapella, some deep lows, some dense mixes, I guess the only thing missing is a bit of classical. You should be able to find most on Apple Or Amazon.

Note - don’t play the James Blake track too loud first time round, it has some very low frequencies in there at fairly high levels, ease your woofers in gently.

Otherwise, as @gibbsy says, Steven Wilson produced stuff is normally very good, Daft Punk and Steely Dan also have good production too. You can have a look at DRWars database for your favourites, typically any track / album with a DR over 12 will sound pretty good.

I've been enjoying my system so much recently that I've nearly buried the upgrade bug for good. A quick blast of 'Songs from the wood' (not a song I was familiar with) has just added another shovel of dirt over the hole. Cracking test track. Plenty going on sonically and a great demo of my amp's tremendous sound stage.
Cheers for that!

gava

Hello !

So went for the Neuman NDH 20 + iFi GO blu.

I have both Amazon HD and Apple Music on free trials.

thank you

There is so much....

A few nice albums to stretch your new cans (if you like this sort of thing)

1633171474590.png

1633171606531.png

1633171651270.png

1633171707488.png

1633171808445.png

1633171845078.png

1633172212378.png

1633172283672.png

Juansan

Novice Member
Hello all !

I was about to buy a Chord Mojo to hook up my laptop with Amazon Music HD to my headphones just to realize the product has been discontinued. I have looked around and asked couple of shops the same question : any other suggestions for same quality/pricing (c. £400) ? and nobody can recommend anything. They are waiting for Chord to replace the Mojo with the Mojo 2...

Any suggestions for my use ?

thank you all !
I appreciate that you have pulled the trigger on an alternative but is there formal confirmation from Chord that the mojo is actually discontinued? its still on the Chord website and my understanding is that there is a slowdown in production caused by the chip shortages but not that it is actually discontinued.

thesquale

I appreciate that you have pulled the trigger on an alternative but is there formal confirmation from Chord that the mojo is actually discontinued? its still on the Chord website and my understanding is that there is a slowdown in production caused by the chip shortages but not that it is actually discontinued.
yes, you are probably right and these could be rumors. but right now, i can not buy it !

shug4476

Richer Sounds have refurbished Chord Mojos available on their website at a competitive price.

shug4476

shug4476

I should add it is a bargain at that price!

thesquale

I should add it is a bargain at that price!
well... thank you !!!! ordered ! will compare with the iFi Go Blu ! and return the one i like the least ! Bluetooth might be missed as i was connecting to a NVidia Shield too (as a second use for my headphones) but that was not the main use for it.

I do not get why the search engine on the website did not give me this result though but hey ! thanks again !!

shug4476

well... thank you !!!! ordered ! will compare with the iFi Go Blu ! and return the one i like the least ! Bluetooth might be missed as i was connecting to a NVidia Shield too (as a second use for my headphones) but that was not the main use for it.

I do not get why the search engine on the website did not give me this result though but hey ! thanks again !!

You have to manually go into the 'Clearance' section and search for it there. It is all very convoluted.

The Mojo is a better DAC than headphone amp, but is excellent at both.

thesquale

You have to manually go into the 'Clearance' section and search for it there. It is all very convoluted.

The Mojo is a better DAC than headphone amp, but is excellent at both.
oh well. Thank you RS....the "refurbished" Mojo battery is completely dead it seems. I charged it full. Used it for 1h maybe then turned it off. I can not turn it on any more and from the LED beneath the charging port, it is out of battery. so now what...i can probably return it but what a waste of time. don't they do QC before sending "refurbished" items !

shug4476

oh well. Thank you RS....the "refurbished" Mojo battery is completely dead it seems. I charged it full. Used it for 1h maybe then turned it off. I can not turn it on any more and from the LED beneath the charging port, it is out of battery. so now what...i can probably return it but what a waste of time. don't they do QC before sending "refurbished" items !

Are you sure it was fully charged?

shug4476

i think so. I am trying again.

Was it in a sealed original packaging? I bought my Mojo "refurbished" and it had clearly never been opened and somebody had just returned it under distance selling regs.

For first use it needs a long charge.

You can at least judge whether you like the sound? If you do and it is just a battery problem it is probably worth getting RS to sort (it is an easy fix). If you don't then at least you have tried it and lost no money.

I own both a Mojo and a 2Qute and it is very difficult to choose between them. Tiny, tiny differences.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Black Friday 2021: What you need to know
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Blu-ray Special - The Cinema of Zhang Yimou & Gong Li
  • By Mark Costello
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 24th November 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Panasonic 2021 TV update brings full 4K resolution with VRR and HFR