1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chord CPM 2800 MKII Integrated Amplifier Review

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Phil Hinton, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
      AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,331
    2. Ripsnorter

Ripsnorter

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +40
      Superb review, Ed. " ... we are reflecting on degrees of excellence that might be seen to be polishing the cannonball." Brilliant writing! I've always been a Chord fan even if the closest I get is pressing my nose against the shop window. Nice to see there are now *cough* 'budget' possibilities. One day, one day.

3. High Fidelity

High Fidelity

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +123
      surely an amp at this elevated price level should get 10 for SQ , I wonder how it compares with Naim Supernait 2 , I would be very suprised if the Chord was better,

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    4. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
      AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,331
      I use a Supernait 2 every day. The Chord is better. Not by a huge amount- the law of diminishing returns applies heavily here- but it is better. The soundstage in particular is a significant step forward.

5. Sluggster

Sluggster

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +34
      Ed, this is an interesting, especially as you compare it to your Supernait. I've owned a Supernait with a Hi-cap for a number of years and the most disappointing aspect of my system was always the lack of sound stage. Everything was firmly centred between my speakers.

My source is an HDX via an nDAC. I've built the system over time and seen worth while improvements with each new acquisition but never managed to shift the sound stage away from dead centre. I recently bought a Teddy Pardo XPS for the nDAC and the difference was amazing, my sound stage really opened up, bass became far more controlled and everything is clearer. It has produced, by far, the biggest jump in performance of any upgrade I've made.

I've always had a soft spot for Chord products but have never been willing to swap out the house sound of Naim equipment. Your comments on the difference in presentation strike a chord ;) with me.

I always expected the amplifier to have the greatest impact on bass control and sound stage and was very surprised to find a power supply on the DAC would have such a profound impact.

6. High Fidelity

High Fidelity

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +123
      Supernait or Supernait 2 ? Quite frankly considering the price I have never been impressed with Chord amplifier sound and I do not care for switch mode power supplies. Which speakers do you own.

7. Sluggster

Sluggster

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +34
      I have a Supernait. My speakers are in my signature. Focal Electra.

8. High Fidelity

High Fidelity

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +123
      I have used a Supernait 2 at home with my Acoustic Insight Phantom Source floor standing TL speakers , the soundstage , bass etc were excellent, furthermore Operatic soprano vocals were better and more distinct than I have heard from any other amplifier including IMO over rated Devialet. I will be very suprised if this all singing dancing new Chord is any better and will be interested to audition it when it becomes available. BY the way I am not a Naim fan apart from the supernait 2. If I did not already have an excellent integrated amp, I would have kept it. Interesting review of Supernait 2 Home Theatre & High Fidelity, I believe they used same Focal speakers that you have.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    9. Sluggster

Sluggster

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +34
      Hi High Fidelity.
      I'm sure the SN2 would bring benefits and I do like the Naim sound signature. I'm now in a place where I am happy with my system.

The only down side to buying Naim equipment is the number of boxes you end up owning. I have a DAC, renderer, 3 x PSUs and an amp (6 boxes). If I could get a system that worked as well but with two boxes I think I would be happier. The Chord seems to have a good amp and DAC, with the Naim NDX as source that would be 2 boxes (though to be honest I would probably keep the xps on the NDX - so 3). At the moment, getting a Chord is probably not on the cards.

Thanks for the pointer to HT & HF. An interesting read.

10. High Fidelity

High Fidelity

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +123
      What is Naim sound signature ? the SN2 has what I would describe as accurate sound. Anything that deviates from as close as possible to the original sound does not interest me. It seems Naim marketing causes audiophiles to end up with too many boxes. Another interesting read is by Andrew Everard Words & Music where he compares the SN with the SN2.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    11. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
      AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,331
      Then, in an absolute sense, your descriptions are inaccurate. Like most Naim amps, there is a slight top end roll off that is used to generate a perception of speed. It's nowhere as pronounced as it was in older designs but it's still there.

12. High Fidelity

High Fidelity

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +123
      I did not notice any roll off at the time when I used the SN2, if I had it now ,I would do another comparison, however as I prefer my own 20 year old amp, you are probably correct.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017