1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chord 2400 Amp is not 200w per channel

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Toyboy, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Toyboy

Toyboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as advertised in their brochure...

I borrowed a Chord 2400 for surround to add to my Chord 1200E, sounded nice but got very hot driving my PMC IB1's. Spoke to Chord who said Oh! er, well actually it's 135 watts per channel into 8 ohms, 200 watts is into 4 ohms, our brochures are wrong...so it's basically a slightly improved 1900.

As for posting this elsewhere..guilty as charged, not everyone subscribes to all the fabulous forums.

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    If the point of this post is to point out Chord's mistake,then I'm sure it will get a wide viewing here.....
    Not sure about the brochures,but the website is correct in specifying it at 135W into 8ohms,and whilst it may get a bit hot running a 4 ohm load,it will at least do that,all day,with no trouble,whereas many other amps dont.
    I noted from your previous posts that you'd tried various Meridian power amps with your speakers and had problems when bridged.....amps like the Chords are pretty good when it comes to low or awkward loads,although not in the Krell or Levinson class,but also very nice sound to match.

3. Toyboy

Toyboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Point was to make people aware that they were not getting what they expected as specified in the brochure. Also, the 2400 was on show recently at the Heathrow exhibition, where the reps quoted 200w x5, which would have been 'high value for money', as the brochure states. Web site was updated from To Be something or other to 135w on Friday, after I spoke to Chord, but that was just a coincidence. I did have problems with other Amps, only the Chord 1200E could cope with the abuse, but even that suffers with bass heavy music, the fancy led's on top of the unit dim in time with the music. Anyway, 200w per channel would have been more of a balance with the 1200E, 350w x2, driving the fronts, so now I'm considering the 3005, but it's rather expensive. Having said that, the 3005 retail cost works out at £7.36 per watt, whereas the 2400 weighs in at £7.46 per watt. I do like the the Chord sound, more musical than all other Amps I've tried, but maybe I should try a Krell.

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Being honest,if you want something that absolutely will not stop,no matter what the load,then a Krell is ideal...even so,of the new models,only the FPBs are rated down to 2 ohm loads,although I know the KAV's will do fine as well....the earlier models(of which I have a set of KMA100s)would go on doubling output into decreasing loads down to 1 ohm,but a lot of people don't like the "control" exerted over the sound by those models.
    That said,it's overall very similar to that of Chord,and thus very well worth you having a listen to.
    My old KMAs are rated at 100W Class A and up to 800w into 1ohm,and I've not yet found a speaker that troubles them.

5. Toyboy

Toyboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have heard that Krell Amps can sound a bit bright, is this true ?

6. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If you like the sound of chord amps then you will like the sound of krell. Mind you i've not heard anyone who doesn't like either of these amp brands. Bright they are not.

7. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Listen to a set first....as BlackMagic says,they aren't bright,unless the partnering equipment is.
    I don't like excessively bright or sharp sound,and use my Krells with a TAG AV32R and B&W 805s,but it's never been harsh or bright.

8. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    never really heard chord or krell stuff but if its raw power that your after have you tried CinePro? they make some monstrous output amps that are meant to be pretty good, again never heard them myself.

9. Toyboy

Toyboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Next,you need to look at the price and see if you also like that!....Chord are not cheap,but that will make them seem so.

You may also wish to consider used/ex-dem Krells....avoid the KSA-S series...after the original KSAs,and before the FPBs....still have the build quality,but not the sound quality of the other older and newer models.
    Of the older ones,the KMAs and MDAs are still superb,and the FPBs are a large step forwards.
    If you want another bullet-proof oldie,the Levinson 20.5 has amazing grunt and control,but still fetches around £4k.

11. Toyboy

Toyboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I know...the price is scary.To compare bang per buck, the 400cx retails at £15/watt, the 700cx £10.72/w whereas the Chord 3005 weighs in at a mere £7.36/w, which is cheaper than the Chord 2400, I whinged about, at £7.46/w.
    Good old Bryston 4Bsst is a bargain at £4.17/w. I did try one of these, plenty of power and oomph, but not too musical IMHO. Still good value tho', as is the Rotel 1095.

I'll probably go mad and buy a Chord 3005, good match for my 1200E.

So many toys, so little time to play..

12. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know someone having monstruous 5 channel amp from Chord (yes, model 3005) and it sounds awesome with his Utopias.
    Some people claimed before this combo meets all conditions to sound really bright but, trust me, there's not a trace from it. Just wonderfull smooth and punchy sound. I even go so far to claim I never heard better sounding home system.

And SPM3005 looks huge and gorgeous with those blue lights...

13. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Perhaps have a look at the Parasound JC1? At the prices you are looking at it might fit the bill.

14. Toyboy

Toyboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Naa, heard Parasound, not even in the same league. I'm now looking at Cinepro, see my other post, could be the answer.