Chord 1200 amp or SH MF 370

karkus30

Ex Member
Reaction score
Looking at a couple of Amps at the moment an old MF 370-2 export model which sounds quite nice priced at 1400 beer tokens or a Chord 1200. Anyone had any experience of either ? I will need to get a Chord for demo and the nearest dealer appears to be in Sheffield, so I am interested in any comments on either amp.

Don't know how far Doug Brady is from you but they had the Chord in stock for dem back in August.

www.dougbradyhifi.com/sale2.htm

They're usually pretty good at letting you demo the stuff at home.

The Chord's a good amp, a little too 'laid back' for me, left me with the impression that it would be great for orchestral or chamber music but less suitable for pop/rock/dance etc.

If you decide to go over to Doug Brady I would recommend you give Sean Williams a call at www.williamshart.com and arrange to call in at his place while you're over there and have a demo of the JLH amps, take no notice of the low price you wont believe how good they are, especially the monoblocs.

Kark,

what speakers are you using?

ad

Originally posted by buns
Kark,

what speakers are you using?

ad

Neat critique on slate audio stands and Marantz cd 17

Originally posted by GaryG
Don't know how far Doug Brady is from you but they had the Chord in stock for dem back in August.

www.dougbradyhifi.com/sale2.htm

They're usually pretty good at letting you demo the stuff at home.

The Chord's a good amp, a little too 'laid back' for me, left me with the impression that it would be great for orchestral or chamber music but less suitable for pop/rock/dance etc.

If you decide to go over to Doug Brady I would recommend you give Sean Williams a call at www.williamshart.com and arrange to call in at his place while you're over there and have a demo of the JLH amps, take no notice of the low price you wont believe how good they are, especially the monoblocs.

Laid back is not what Im into, like rock, dance with a smattering of Jazz/soul stuff.

JLH sounds interesting, any none mainstream manufactures are worth a look.

Your music tastes are similar to mine. I like an amp with lots of 'slam' and 'attack' with a good grip on the bass line. I auditioned a wide range of amps looking for my 'ideal' amp including top of the range stuff from Chord, Naim and Krell. I eventually settled on Krell monoblocs, unbelievable 'slam' and 'grip' just what I was looking for. Unfortunately too expensive to use for my 'surround' channels so I settled on JLH monoblocs (the upgraded SE versions) from Williams-Hart, they are a similar sound to the Krell but with slightly less 'grip' and a marginally narrower sound stage, not bad considering they are less than a fifth of the cost of my Krells, well worth checking out. Sean Williams will send you his amps for a home dem subject to a small deposit on your credit card.

Originally posted by GaryG
Your music tastes are similar to mine. I like an amp with lots of 'slam' and 'attack' with a good grip on the bass line. I auditioned a wide range of amps looking for my 'ideal' amp including top of the range stuff from Chord, Naim and Krell. I eventually settled on Krell monoblocs, unbelievable 'slam' and 'grip' just what I was looking for. Unfortunately too expensive to use for my 'surround' channels so I settled on JLH monoblocs (the upgraded SE versions) from Williams-Hart, they are a similar sound to the Krell but with slightly less 'grip' and a marginally narrower sound stage, not bad considering they are less than a fifth of the cost of my Krells, well worth checking out. Sean Williams will send you his amps for a home dem subject to a small deposit on your credit card.

Cheers Gary,
Im using a Naim 72 / 140 combination, which I have had for a few years now, but that itch is starting to come back and I am wondering if Im missing anything with the latest stuff.

I have noticed that pure A class amps tend to produce a fuller, less nasal sound than the Naims ( which I like because they emphasise the rythmic nature of music ), if I can get all the slam and attack of the Naims but with the advantages of A class / valve I would consider changing.

Originally posted by karkus30

Cheers Gary,
Im using a Naim 72 / 140 combination, which I have had for a few years now, but that itch is starting to come back and I am wondering if Im missing anything with the latest stuff.

I have noticed that pure A class amps tend to produce a fuller, less nasal sound than the Naims ( which I like because they emphasise the rythmic nature of music ), if I can get all the slam and attack of the Naims but with the advantages of A class / valve I would consider changing.

this is setting me up for my recommendation! :D

So you want slam and attack with a bit of valve and class A warmth and scale!? Guess what.....2 months ago, so did I!

So what if i told you about a tube preamp/powersupply combined with a semi (up to 40w) class A, with a bit of a kick to it! A distinctly non mainstream company (serbian), but have a new distributor in the UK. www.korato.com kpv10 and kta100. there is a review at www.tnt-audio.com

I admit to being more than a bit biased towards these amps, in my view they are the best I have ever heard. It is like a friendly Krell.......all the scale and glory, but not so dry and heartless.

Problem is...... you'll have to wait for the UK distributor to get moving!

Ad

this is setting me up for my recommendation! :D

So you want slam and attack with a bit of valve and class A warmth and scale!? Guess what.....2 months ago, so did I!

So what if i told you about a tube preamp/powersupply combined with a semi (up to 40w) class A, with a bit of a kick to it! A distinctly non mainstream company (serbian), but have a new distributor in the UK. www.korato.com kpv10 and kta100. there is a review at www.tnt-audio.com

I admit to being more than a bit biased towards these amps, in my view they are the best I have ever heard. It is like a friendly Krell.......all the scale and glory, but not so dry and heartless.

Problem is...... you'll have to wait for the UK distributor to get moving!

Ad

Buns,

I could'nt find a price on these, any ideas?

Certainly look interesting, valve pre and trani power, this seems more and more the direction to go. I have a Marshall set up at home using the same system and its magic with a guitar.

The reviewer compares a Naim 140 sound, but more rounded, sounds fantastic.

Sorry to set you up for a recommendation ;) I hate the usual "whats the best" type questions, but I am interested in opinions on the tonal characteristics of different amp combinations compared to Naims amps.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Originally posted by Gordon, Convergent-AV
Karkus: Try and find a dealer who stocks this

http://www.bonnec.de/English/AltoEnglish/altoenglish.html

It's a pretty serious amp. In fact, it's the best poweramp I've ever heard regardless of cost.

Gordon

Gets more interesting by the minute, I found a site on Yahoo, but it had no contact name or telephone number just a set of prices for xmas 98.

4500.00 for the power amp and 3000.00 for the pre, bit outa my league unless I can find a pair secondhand.

Cheers for the info Gordon.

Kark,

I cant actually tell you the price yet! I got mine a while back prior to the distributor! I will find you out who it is and you can get in touch with them!

Ad

Kark,

I cant actually tell you the price yet! I got mine a while back prior to the distributor! I will find you out who it is and you can get in touch with them!

Ad

Should I ask how you aquired your amps, or is it best not to ask.

Mine are now 3 months old....... at the time i had to deal direct with them. It will be good to be able to get them within the UK, it wa a real nuisance with all bank transfers and fairly hefty shipping!

I emailed the guy earlier, i should be able to get back to you tomorrow!

Ad

I emailed the guy earlier, i should be able to get back to you tomorrow!

Ad

Thanks again for the help, hope I can repay the favour sometime.

Thanks again for the help, hope I can repay the favour sometime.

No favour required, you are giving me something to do! :D

ad

So you owe me now ;) :D

errrrmmm yes...... tell you what, i'll get you the contact details for korato distributor.....sound like a fair exchange!? :D

I think i have just entered a closed loop of helping people that i cant get free of because i keep owing people favours! :rolleyes:

ad

"A" Audiosolutions
63, Love Lane
PONTEFRACT
West Yorkshire
WF8 4EG
England

Contact person: Andy Davison

I have also pm'd you with something more interesting.

Ad

errrrmmm yes...... tell you what, i'll get you the contact details for korato distributor.....sound like a fair exchange!? :D

I think i have just entered a closed loop of helping people that i cant get free of because i keep owing people favours! :rolleyes:

ad

serves you right for being so helpful;) :D

"A" Audiosolutions
63, Love Lane
PONTEFRACT
West Yorkshire
WF8 4EG
England

Contact person: Andy Davison

I have also pm'd you with something more interesting.

Ad

Thanks again Buns, thats only two favours you owe me now, Pontefract is in my sales territory, so Ill go take a look.

i contacted koroto 6-9-2002 there was no uk distributer on that date is the uk distributer current, told that you could buy direct from koroto , dont think this encludes shiping costs??? kpv10=670e/or 770 with phono stage kta100 890 euros

Originally posted by mick23
i contacted koroto 6-9-2002 there was no uk distributer on that date is the uk distributer current, told that you could buy direct from koroto , dont think this encludes shiping costs??? kpv10=670e/or 770 with phono stage kta100 890 euros

You would be right, i got mine a few months ago in that way. However, the situation has recently changed.

Also, those costs are excluding shipping (about 200 euros) and import duties which came to upwards of £250.

still worth it though

Ad

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom