Choppy videos in Dolby Access app - OLED55B9PLA

chenarms

Standard Member
Hi everyone!
I have an LG OLED55B9PLA TV that cannot play some of the sample videos in the ‘Dolby Access’ app smoothly.
I’d like to know if other people with this TV also have noticed this issue or is there a problem with my device. Netflix Dolby videos play fine but it’s only a handful of videos in the Dolby Access app that are choppy. I really appreciate any help or feedback.
To replicate the problem: please go to LG Content Store >> Install ‘Dolby Access’ >> in Dolby Access play the video entitled ‘Art of India’. Does it play smoothly for you?
What I’ve tried so far:
  • Reset to factory settings and reset video settings
  • Software update
  • Tried ethernet connection
  • Toggled True Motion
  • Reset Virgin Media internet access point.
Thank you in advance!

EDIT 1: I’ve checked my connection using a 4k 60fps YouTube video and it looks like my speed is 150Mbps. Please see attached picture.

EDIT 2: I’ve just found the cause of the problem. Strangely enough, It’s to do with audio settings! Currently the audio is set to PassThrough via eARC to Sonos Arc + surround speakers + subwoofer.
The videos play smoothly again if I disable eARC. So this is something for Sonos and Dolby to sort out between them. Thank you very much everyone for your feedback : )

Attachments

• 4F99270F-5E32-400B-A0D5-34FF9CC17BD7.jpeg
    4F99270F-5E32-400B-A0D5-34FF9CC17BD7.jpeg
    299.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Wing80surfer

I have the 55cx & noticed that some vids aren't as smooth as I'd have expected in the Dolby app. I'm not worried about it though as other apps - Netflix, Disney+ etc play just fine

chenarms

Standard Member
I have the 55cx & noticed that some vids aren't as smooth as I'd have expected in the Dolby app. I'm not worried about it though as other apps - Netflix, Disney+ etc play just fine
It’s possible that some of these demo videos are 8k with such high frame rate that the B9 can’t handle. Nevertheless, it’s disappointing to see choppy videos from a flagship 2020 TV. Thanks for your reply : )

@chenarms

Out of interest... Is your TV connected to the internet using a wired or wireless connection?

Personally I can't access any of those 'Dolby Access' samples on my 2016 LG television, but if I had to hazard a guess I reckon the 'Art Of India' sample has most probably been encoded using VP9.2 (with HDR and Opus audio) at 60.000fps as apposed to 30.000fps or below...

chenarms

Standard Member
Personally I can't access any of those 'Dolby Access' samples on my 2016 LG television, but if I had to hazard a guess I reckon the 'Art Of India' sample has most probably been encoded using VP9.2 (with HDR and Opus audio) at 60.000fps as apposed to 30.000fps or below...
Yes it’s very likely. After all, Dolby wants to show off.
I’m going to buy the 2021 Apple TV and I hope it would be more powerful and more predictable than WebOS on B9. Thanks for the feedback : )

Is it your intension to access and view a lot of YouTube content in HDR at 60fps?

Just-so-you-know... Media streaming services such as Netflix, Amazon , Disney+ and Apple support the HEVC (h.265) video format, which your model of TV is capable of playing fine. NOW TV still stream their content using AVC (h.264)...

chenarms

Standard Member
Is it your intension to access and view a lot of YouTube content in HDR at 60fps?

Just-so-you-know... Media streaming services such as Netflix, Amazon , Disney+ and Apple support the HEVC (h.265) video format, which your model of TV is capable of playing fine. NOW TV still stream their content using AVC (h.264)...
Since 60fps is becoming more and more popular online it’s good to be able to play it but I much prefer the look of 30 or even 24fps.

Since 60fps is becoming more and more popular online it’s good to be able to play it but I much prefer the look of 30 or even 24fps.
It's not popular at all for movie content...

Inferno

Distinguished Member
It’s possible that some of these demo videos are 8k with such high frame rate that the B9 can’t handle. Nevertheless, it’s disappointing to see choppy videos from a flagship 2020 TV. Thanks for your reply : )
Just FYI I have a B9 and I have no choppyness at all on any of the video clips you mention from that app, it has to be your connection if I was to hazard a guess.

It's a 2019 TV not a 2020 one.

chenarms

Standard Member
Just FYI I have a B9 and I have no choppyness at all on any of the video clips you mention from that app, it has to be your connection if I was to hazard a guess.

It's a 2019 TV not a 2020 one.
Thanks for this. I’ve tested the connection on the TV’s browser and I’m getting 190mb (5ghz) with 20ms ping. 2ghz is half as fast. I’ve also tried Ethernet and the speed is just below 100mb with around 20ms ping. It’s puzzling 🤨

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom