choppy playback

L

Lumox

I have installed a Samsung SD-604 dvd player and a sis305 32mb graphics card with tv out.
Running win98se soundblaster 16pci card.
The picture and sound seems sticky. Can anyone suggest anything I should take a look at to make things run smooth (apart from getting more expensive gear).
Thanks.

I think that is your problem. You need a fast processor to decode the MPEG data. You could buy a decoder card if you wish to connect to a TV as well as play it on the monitor. That restricts you to the DVD player software that comes with the decoder card usually. Some of the software players may recognise the card and make use of it, but I don't know which ones do, sorry.

I happen to have one, burried somewhere in my study, you could have that for £25 inc P&P if it's any use to you.

Your only other option is to upgrade your processor but to do that you'll probably need a new mobo and memory too!

DaveP

how big a processor do I idealy need to get a good play back.
My mate had a 500 k6-2 a year or 2 ago and he said that it played dvd's smootly.
Could my sound card cause this problem and would it affect the picture as well.
thanks for your help

I'd have said a 500Mhz K6 was borderline, IIRC a Pentium II 400 was the recognised minimum. What software player are you using? Some are more efficient than others. Can you find out what player your mate had, and try that?

The sound card could have an impact as it's probably sapping cycles from the processor too. A newer card would still cost quite a few quid, especially if you want DD 5.1 playback.

DaveP

My mate can not remember what his total setup and software was.
I am using windvd3.
Perhaps if I change the sound card to a SoundBlaster 4.1 digital, it may be worth it and they are not too expensive.
Thanks

None, I always cntrl/alt/del and close all but the 2 necessary.
Would anything in the bios have an effect.
256mb sd100 ram by the way.
Thanks

just noticed that if I veiw a movie in a smaller screen so that I can see a bit of the desktop, the picture/sound is still choppy, I then right click on the desktop while the dvd is playing, the picture and sound become smooth.
Any ideas

Just to add to my last post.
When the dvd is playing in a frame about half the size of my 15" monitor and I just click on the desktop, the dvd runs fine, as soon as I click back onto the frame I get choppy sound etc.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom