Chop, chop! Nicht in Deutsch, ich danke Ihnen y

johntheexpat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, here's a thread to worry the Mods (sorry!)

The Germans appear to have banned circumcision on the grounds of infringement of the persons rights.

"The child's body is permanently and irreparably changed by the circumcision. This change conflicts with the child's interest of later being able to make his own decision on his religious affiliation."

Of course, various religious factions are up in arms about it, but the judgement seems pretty clear.

BBC News - German circumcision ban: Is it a parent's right to choose?

Interesting topic for debate.

Talking about circumcision, IIRC of all the medical interventions carried out by the US Army during WW2, circumcision was the most common. Which is a bit of information that one day will serve you very well in a pub quiz.

Good on the Germans,we should do that here.Unless for a medical reason ofcourse.

The only worry I can see is what the thread header means.
"not in German, I thank you":confused:

But the people doing this have no medical training at all so what happens to those who suffer because of it?
Never mentioned.

WHO | World Health Organization

"There is compelling evidence that male circumcision reduces the risk of heterosexually acquired HIV infection in men by approximately 60%"

Should be good enough reason to get everyone done?!! ;-)

Results also suggest circumcision also reduces the risk of prostate cancer.

Circumcision Linked To Lower Prostate Cancer Risk

I'm married.She doesn't have HIV so i wont be catching it.

A suggestion that it may reduce the risk or prostate cancer,wont have me rushing out to get the end chopped off.

Cutting out eating crap and drinking also reduces the risk of cancer,or so we are told.Wont be stopping that either ;)

But the people doing this have no medical training at all so what happens to those who suffer because of it?
Never mentioned.

Plus it shouldn't be done in the name of religion.What happens when the child grows up and doesn't want to be part of the religion forced upon him? You can't stick it back on.

The only worry I can see is what the thread header means.
"not in German, I thank you":confused:

It was supposed to be : Nicht in Deutschland Vielen Dank, but I wasn't paying enough attention. The "I thank you" bit sounds a bit like Julian Clary but its 35 years since I was at school with him, so I hope any influence he may have had (which he didin't!!!) would have lapsed by now.

The health benefits seem well established, its a bit of a shame about the religious side of it though.
Leaving it until all men have reached the age of majority is also not helpful, as the only person who I know to have had it done when not very young was practically bent double in pain for quite a long time. Which doesn't really encourage one to follow suite. I suppose the GIs who had it done on masse must have been tougher than me!

It was supposed to be : Nicht in Deutschland Vielen Dank, but I wasn't paying enough attention. The "I thank you" bit sounds a bit like Julian Clary but its 35 years since I was at school with him, so I hope any influence he may have had (which he didin't!!!) would have lapsed by now.

The health benefits seem well established, its a bit of a shame about the religious side of it though.
Leaving it until all men have reached the age of majority is also not helpful, as the only person who I know to have had it done when not very young was practically bent double in pain for quite a long time. Which doesn't really encourage one to follow suite. I suppose the GIs who had it done on masse must have been tougher than me!

You went to school with Julian Clary?

I'm more intrested in that than this thread :D do tell.....

You went to school with Julian Clary?

I'm more intrested in that than this thread :D do tell.....

Not a lot to tell really. A bit camp even then, but other than that...

Well I do remember once on the rugby pitch, he intercepted the ball really quite sweetly, held tight and ran a full three quarters of the length of the pitch, leaving all in his wake, to score a magnificent try.

Almost.

Shame he was running in the wrong direction.

Never mind, I'm sure there are stories like that about all of us.

Quite brave.

What group of people\religion are famous for routinely performing circumcisions at birth.

And the Germans what to stop them from doing it!

I know it is absolutely nothing to do with history but I imagine quite a few are going to make the embarrassing comparison.

Cheers,

Nigel

Quite brave.

What group of people\religion are famous for routinely performing circumcisions at birth.

And the Germans what to stop them from doing it!

I know it is absolutely nothing to do with history but I imagine quite a few are going to make the embarrassing comparison.

Cheers,

Nigel

I don't think this is the start of the 4th reich.

Has the law been passed already?

I'm sure if parents want to do this to their children,they will just take them to another country.

I'm still of the mind that this shouldn't be forced onto children.Atleast wait until they are old enough to make up their own minds.

Dunno the specifics, but apparently "The government said it would find a way around a ban imposed by a court in Cologne in June as a matter of urgency."

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom