1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choosing the right speaker setup

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by muppet9, Nov 22, 2001.

1. muppet9

muppet9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

Im pretty new to this so bear with me ;)

I am looking at getting a Denon 2802 and a new dvd player (not decided yet, suggestions welcome) and i would like to know what the best speakers would be, i have been looking at the KEF Cresta's which seem to have had good reviews, or the Mordaunt-Short package available from Richers.

If you've got any better recommendations on an amp, please let me know also. :)

Thanks alot

muppet9

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    Hi

Nothing wrong with the Denon 2802, but if you could stretch to the 3802 you´ll get better musicality and a few more features. They can be had for around 600 at some places.

The Kef crestas are great speakers (i like Kef stuff!!) and will suit the Denon well.

For a dvd player, it depends on your budget, how about the Toshiba 210e, great player for a bargain price available from 170 - 200 multiregion.

cheers

3. muppet9

muppet9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you know where i can get the 3802 for 600? How is the 2802 & 3802 for music btw?

The KEF's are looking pretty good, i need to find somewhere round ere so i can listen to them. Are there any other speakers i should know about? Got about 500 - 600 to spend on a full speaker package.

I will take a look at that Toshiba DVD, but as i already have a dvd i was going to be spending a bit more, maybe one of the Denon DVD players? I will spend about 300ish but if there is a really good one for not much more then i could be tempted.

This will be for a Home cinema setup btw, cant belive i didnt say that in the original post.

Cheers

4. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One clear advantage of the 3802, besides more power and an extra channel (that wouldn´t be important to me), is the variable crossover frequency, specially as you are geting small speakers.

Have you looked at the KEF eggs, they are prety good, and nice looking, high women acceptance factor...

5. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,499
    Dont go for the Denon DVD player unless your TV can satisfy it,s component outputs. If you must change your player the Tosh is good but , try and keep the cost down a bit and spend a bit more on your speakers. The Denon 3802 is worth more than Kef,s Cresta,s.
    I know !!!

Kev

6. muppet9

muppet9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are the Cresta's small then?

Unless the KEF eggs are going to sound better than some full size speakers, ie floor standers etc - which i very much doubt, im not interested im afriad! :) I like big speakers anyway :) How much are the KEF eggs just out of interest?

7. muppet9

muppet9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TV is a panasonic 28" 100Hz jobby, cant remember the exact model. What do you mean by "Dont go for the Denon DVD player unless your TV can satisfy it,s component outputs. "?

Which speakers then? :)

8. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,499
    Does your TV have 'component' in ?

I will have M&K K Series (wicked)

Kev

9. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On a limited budget, small speakers are better, you get more quality, as you need a subwoofer for home cinema anyway, you still get all the bass...

10. muppet9

muppet9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i think it has component in, not too sure though.

600 quid is a limited budject?! :) How much do i have to spend to get a decent set of full size speakers then?

Weres a good place with info and pricing on the Eggs?

11. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The eggs will cost around that, see other threads in this forum...

A reasonable set of floor standing speakers will cost a lot more, audition the eggs, or similar with a subwoofer and you will be pleasently surprised...

12. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    Hi

The Denon 3802 is available at www.unbeatable.co.uk for just over 600 quid.

The Kef eggs should be around 600-800 depending on where you shop.

The Toshiba dvd will give players costing twice the amount a good run, actually outperforms some of them!!

The Kef crestas are great as well but you´ll still need a sub.

cheers

13. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Have a listen to the Tannoy Home Cinema packages aswell, I like Tannoy stuff (and I don't even own any)

14. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    A Panasonic 28" is unlikely to have component inputs as the only "normal" TV's to have them are Toshiba.

I also agree that the Tannoy floorstanders are worth an audition as I used to have the original M3 and thought that they were fantastic.

Ian

15. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In my opinion the KEF Crestas are not worthy of the name. I would audition them with Tannoy and Missions in the same price bracket. It's all a matter of opinion of course but I found them very dissapointing. I'm sure we all hear things differently but they just sounded muddy and uninteresting to me whereas the Missions are smooth and the Tannoys dynamic. In the end I spent 5 times as much and bought Ruark Contempory R's. I blame it on Barclaycard.

16. muppet9

muppet9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    alright i think i might have decided to stretch the budjet a bit more. (again)

Looking at the Monitor Audio Silver 8i AV2 Speaker Package from HifiBitz, and a Denon 3802 amp. What do you reckon?

Obviously i need to go and audition some speakers etc (finding the time), but your opinions are very helpful.

Cheers

17. garylloyd

garylloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Hi.
    www.audioreview.com has a few reviews
    of monitor audio speakers.
    Sorry i could not be of more help.
    Gary

18. gazzerr

gazzerr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Muppet9,

That was my route and I have had my monitor audio's 8i/10i/3i for about a month with the 3802. I am pleased with the package and compared them to the castle pembroke and mission 78's. I really liked the Ruark Contemporary series but they are another price bracket (higher)!

No regrets. HiFiBitz delieverd them in a week as they didn't have the package in stock. :)

19. muppet9

muppet9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i listened to the denon 3802 and the monitor audios yesterday. Fantastic sound, really impressed. I need to listen to some other stuff, but i have pretty much made up my mind :)

20. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,971
    Nothing wrong with the Crestas, and they get even better when used with a quality sub. The reason is the sub does all the bass and free's up the other speakers to deliver their best.

I use Cresta with a Rel Storm and the where the best budget speakers imho at the time i bought them.

One thing to think about is buying a quality subwoofer like a Rel and using budget speakers until you can afford better in the future. Will give you a far better performance level and a sub is for life, it will still be ther when you upgrade the speakers.