1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choosing the correct display and card combo

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by roninsrv, Aug 13, 2005.

1. roninsrv

roninsrv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi There,

Time to retire my 6 month old Philips CRT and ATI card. I'm looking for suggestions on card and monitor combinations for around £2K. For the card I was thinking about the 6600GT. Seems to get a good following in this forum. On the monitor front I was thinking about a plasma. I'll be sitting around 12 feet away from the monitor so a 32 or 37 inch box will be sufficient. Some questions ...

1. Should I consider LCD or RPTV?
    2. Should I be looking for a DVI connection into the monitor?
    3. Will I get a better picture at this price compared to my CRT display?
    4. Do I need to look for HDMI compatibility?
    5. At what refresh rate (not Hz - pixel black to white) will I fail to notice the difference between CRT and plasma/lcd?
    6. Will I have a real grainy picture on SD TV?
    7. Anyone interested in buying a mint philips 32PW9509C?

Main use for the monitor will be watching DVD and TV (HD & SD). No games.

Guys - your help is grately appreciated - thanks.

2. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +842
    It is difficult to say what is a "correct" display as such, because everybody's needs and preferences are very different.

For around 2K, you might want to look at the Panasonic PV500 (see the plasma forum). It's state of the art.

You will certainly be able to see the imperfections and limitations of SD, and different broadcast and DVD formats/standards. But until they start broadcasting in HD, there isn't much you do about that. Neverthless, with decent sources, the picture will still be good, and with a PC as a scaler, you should be able to get the best out of the material.

Not sure about DVI/HDMI vs analogue. I can't see it making a vast difference, but DVI/HDMI are nice to have.

3. roninsrv

roninsrv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks MikeTV - I'll have a look.