1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choosing so hard work!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Gadjet, May 12, 2003.

1. Gadjet

Gadjet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi,

After reading a few gratefully received replies on my questions on Xv-Z91e and reading back through all the old threads I am totally lost.
    The sharp has put me off because of the 4:3 image and the one that I thought 2Right I will have thatone" is the sony HS10 will be too noisy. It will sit right above my head, I asked next door and they wont have it. Sounds briliant projector but the noise will be a big distraction.
    So I have got £2750 and dont know what to buy.

Love all your help,
    what would I do without this forum,
    phill:confused:

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Phil. if you could stretch just a little more then the Epson TW100 or Sony VW12 are both great pjs. I had the Epson (only for a short while unfortunately until Epson decided not to send it back to me :mad: but to give me a full refund instead :) ). It really was a great pj and I wopuld be delighted to have another if only Epson would tell me if the noisy fan was standard or not. Grrrr!

I am now in exactly the same situation as you.

Would love a HS10 but like you it would be directly above my head so noise rules it out as well as the long throw.

I am put off the HT1000 by the 4:3 panel (have a 16:9 screen) even though I know it is a fantastic unit.

VW12 does not have a DVI input.

AE300 is too short a throw.

Z1. Nice pj but as much as I was impressed with it on Saturday - for the money - it had it's failings picture quality wise (when I got home and watched the same clips on my plasma I really saw where it was lacking).

New TW100 is not out yet and Epson Customer Interaction Centre told me this afternoon they are not even sure if it will be released in the UK.

MT8. Probably the best of all of them, no, definitely the best, but I'm just hesitant to spend over £4k when the technology is moving so fast and prices dropping quicker than a lead balloon. However, I may end up having to go this route to get something I can watch films with again.

My HC room is feeling a bit isolated at the moment :(

3. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    I have a 16:9 screen and use an NEC HT100.

It's perfect for PAL, and has loads of features so that any projected image falls within the 16:9 area, and not outside. Just tell it you have a 16:9 screen and it effectively turns off the rest of the pixels. Image placement is flexible, as you can slide the 16:9 image up or down inside the 4:3 panel, so you don't have to worry about it being in the middle of the 4:3 area of the chip.

In fact some manufacturers are starting to produce 1024 x 576 projectors using the same chip as the NEC, but only using the 16:9 portion of it.

You can pick it up for under £3,200 if you look around, so don't pass it up just because it has a 4:3 chip. :)

It has been measured at almost 2900:1 contrast after calibration with the iris shut, so the claims are pretty accurate, and it has a pretty good greyscale and colours so you don't have to worry about major tweaking for a good image - just setting up white and black levels is enough really, and reducing the sharpness for smooth creamy images is generally all that's needed.

Of course, as you say, with new pjs being brought out all the time, you won't have to wait long for the next developement to come along. You'll have to jump on sometime and buy something, but there'll always be something new around the corner, so you just have to bite the bullet and decide... :)

Gary.

4. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Hi Gary

I've already bitten tyhe bullet a few times in the last 12 months with an AE100, TW100, Barco 701s, TW100 (again) and hope to have learnt a few things from those to ensure I get a damned good one next time.

Can you please clarify something for me. You say that if you tell it you are using a 16:9 screen it shuts off the other pixels but don't you still get an amount of light spill above and below the 16:9 image? If not then it will possible be the one for me but I can't see how they can stop the light from projecting outside of the 16:9 area.

Also, due to the starnge offset on this one I will need to shift the 16:9 image up the screen thus decreasing the top border and increasing the lower one. Is this possible, otherwise the bottom of the image will be on the floor. - [edit] Ah, just re-read your post and see you can do this. Did you compare to an MT8 by any chance?

Thanks.

5. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Hi Messiah,

There is a tiny amount of light spill (if you can call it that) in the unused 4:3 portion of the projected area, but I can only see it in a very dark scene if I look for it with peripheral vision. Otherwise your eyes are adjusted to the brighter images on the screen, and it's not visible at all.

I have tried to look for it and cannot see it at all on most occasions, but then, I do have a black wall (charcoal carpet) which will absorb a lot of light spill anyway.

I did see a Sim HT200DMF when I demo'd the HT1000, but the light spill was not noticable at all then, probably due to the similar conditions to my ht room. The sim had a marginaly better picture (colours wise), but then again, it is more expensive.

If you have light coloured walls, then you may see the overspill, so then i can't say how noticable it is. Blacks are very good, but still not pure black like crt.

HTH

Gary.

6. Gadjet

Gadjet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi

What about the Simm2 HT200. It has 5 star ratings in Home Cinema, it goes over my price limit a bit. Best price so far £3000.
    Only question is 4;3 and 16:9. Does this mean it isnt true widescreen. But rave reviews on picture quality. It must be worth that extra.

Cheers,
    Phill

7. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Yep, again this is another 800 x 600 (4:3) pj. Not so good on rainbows either as it has (I think) only a 2x speed colour wheel. I for one would steer clear and look to newer models.

8. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Threads merged.

Gadget.

No need to start a new thread for each PJ you're considering & every question you wish to ask ;)

9. Gadjet

Gadjet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Sorry Kramer,

As regards too noise reading a thread earlier on by Martin N is there boxes or covers that could go over the projector to keep the noise less or would this increase the heat too much within the projector with the Sony Hs10?

Phill

10. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Thanks Gary

Believe it or not on my Barco 701s blacks were no where near black as you might expect (ask Kramer). I think I should just bite the bullet on the MT8 (what with the refund from Epson it will actually only be costing me £2800 but then again a HT1000 would actually only be costing me £1500). The MT8 is a cracker but then I read a few reviews on the weekend which didn't rate it that highly.

I know I shold ignore the reviews and go with my own eyes but it is off putting somewhat. £4.2k :eek: Now, if someone had a second hand one.....

11. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    I guess the ultimate would be to demo both the MT8 (or 7200) and HT1000 together and see if the extra expense is worth it.

It's can be very tough sometimes - the pic is a reputedly little better and no overspill, but is it that much better to warrant the added expense?

Probably, but would you be happy knowing you could have saved some money?? :D

I hope you manage to get something soon, and look forward to your review. :)

Gary.

12. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    That would be the intention if I could find someone with both or arrange both on demo at the same time. The AV-Sales event this weekend will have the HT1000 but not the MT8 :( I may just wait for the new TW100 if it arrives over here.

13. Gadjet

Gadjet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi,

On the Sony HS10 is there a "whisper mode" that decreases the sound but does not effect the picture quality.
    I am going to view projectors tomorrow morning in and one of them will be the Sony. Especially to see if the fan noise will be too high for me. I am not sure other makes I will be looking at , at Sound and vision they will set up what they have in stock. The only other one which is out of budget but life is too short is the Toshiba MT8. They have not got this in stock. Is it possible for information where to read reviews on this model.
    Your help is so much appreciated,

Phill

14. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    MT8 is a cracking pj. Read about it here

I'm just having difficulty justifying £1500 more than a TW100.