Choosing primary schools and catchment areas

p1tse

What needs to be considered on choosing reception/ primary schools?

Also how do I find out about catchment areas?

shodan

Distinguished Member
For the catchment area you may have the information on the website for your local authority. For primary schools I would look at what's nearest (you don't want car journeys if you can avoid it, especially with young kids) and recommendations from friends and family who have kids in the area.

p1tse

I can't see anything on local council site
South Gloucestershire

p1tse

Thanks
I obviously didn't know what to look for
Great link and going through 100+ pages

p1tse

They mention an "area of prime responsibility"
So those without don't have catchments?

We're in the middle of a house sell wanting to move closer to other schools which makes it more difficult

do some reasearch on the school, ask the la in previous years has it been oversubscribed? it may be you can obtain a place without being directly in the catchment area.

some schools (voluntary aided) will give priority on faith rather than cathchment also.

it is worthwhile being realistic with your prospects fromthe outset and expressing more than 1 preference. going on previous years should be enough to gauge deman/success for schools. it is most likely that the school may have an admission limit of 30/45/60 meaning that there is no scope for flexibility because of class size legislation.

good luck

p1tse

Thanks

Doing some reading around, websites, school prospectus, ofsted etc.

A lot of ofsted intro starts with school size, ethnic mix, English as first language and disability mix

hi. the other thing i wouls say is that whilst an ofsted can give a good steer it is not the be all and end all. the best way of geting a flavour for a particular school is to visit during a normal school dy, met the head teacher and senco and ask questions, , let your child get a feel for a school,

lfsted is a snapshot report at a given time, sometimes 3 or 4 years ago now as outatanding schools dont have ofsted in regularly if there are noproblems.

p1tse

thanks

its all quite scary really, as its such an important decision

house on market too wanting to get closer to schools but not shifting :(

p1tse

Thanks

Is this your area of work, past, present experience, parent etc.

Above link by craig1912 shows number of intake and refusal
We don't fall in a catchment area

With schools having Area of prime responsibility I assume those in area have first choice
But those that don't have area of prime responsibility do it by distance factor?

hi. yes present work. 10 years in education dept. transport and admissions. ill look at the links tomorrow. but it does soud like that yes.

p1tse

hi. yes present work. 10 years in education dept. transport and admissions. ill look at the links tomorrow. but it does soud like that yes.

Don't suppose you had a chance to look

Big IF but if our house was sold stc how does that stand from our position

Also are initial applications accepted and refused by schools first or governed by authority

will look today. different authorities vary. but documentary evidence of an address maybe enouugh to satisfy the la that you will be loving at that address. also worthwhile checking with the la as a lot have a processing date after the deadline where they will accept a change in address, this is to be fair to anyone movng post closing date and before the offer date.

and it depends on the type of school as to who the admitting authority is. increasing schools are being academies now under the academies bill. these are semi independent schools responsible for admissions decisions. same as voluntary aides faith schools, the governing body make decisions not the la.

the la will be coordinating the admissions which is its statutory function and will publish a prospectus detaililing types of schools, deadlines, etc. check to see when this is published. possibly october or november.

Don't suppose you had a chance to look

Big IF but if our house was sold stc how does that stand from our position

Also are initial applications accepted and refused by schools first or governed by authority

https://consultations.southglos.gov...69.1/PDF/-/PropAdmArrSept2013SchYr2013_14.pdf

Hi this is the document that you are interested in, although I can only see it in the consultation stage and not the determined final policy. I would contact Glos and ask for a copy of the determined document or the link to it. on mobile so couldn't browse very well.

In that scheme it does make reference to late applications being considered in change of circumstances.

what you will need to do is make sure you apply before the original deadline and submit a timely application. If your circumstances change, I would speak to admissions and see where you stand, I would say it would be reasonable for them to consider your change in circumstances as if you were moving away or into another LA those circumstances would be considered in order to enable you to apply elsewhere.

The bit about prime areas is correct, it is basically what is defined as prime area, and those in that area are given priority and distance used if needed.

VA Schools and academies may (will) have totally different criteria. Which schools are you looking at?

Mine go to a voluntary aided school in another counter with a different education authority :)

We had a scare with my youngest as for the first time ever it was oversubscribed in the top criteria but after being in the continued interest list and for us a lucky nasty instant divorce of another family meant my youngest got her place now as well. During that scare we were looking at moving but in the end I'm glad the buyers pulled out as I like where we are.

p1tse

Thanks going to read linked attached

We don't lie in an area of prime responsibility and with local schools having area of prime responsibility or I know others are oversubscribed makes me feel nervous

Do local authority have a defined tick list I.e distance to school first etc.?

Thanks going to read linked attached

We don't lie in an area of prime responsibility and with local schools having area of prime responsibility or I know others are oversubscribed makes me feel nervous

Do local authority have a defined tick list I.e distance to school first etc.?
It really depends on the school concerning as well, I'd look on their website for the admission criteria...

The DfE sets the code and guidance, but on a local level it can be implemented differently as long as they do it inline with the code/guidance...It is useful information but only really when you are in a dispute or are a governor and are changing the admission criteria locally..But anyway here it is...

School admissions - current codes and regulations - Schools

i think you need to look at the schools you are interested in and see if they have set their own criteria and familiriae yourself with which category you would be for each choice.

to be fair, the local autority would have set a fair scheme in line with the code of practice (2012) its now really down to them to apply it correctly of course...

p1tse

Thanks both
A lot of reading :)

I read on the link you have to put reason of choice, is that the case and what do people put?

I live on a new estate near bs16 1qY
So not in an area of prime responsibility

First choice would be a place a few miles away if doing it via google maps
Bromley Heath infant
This I know is a desirable choice with over subscription, so will no doubt struggle

Other choices not sure.
Nearest would be frenchay but it's catholic and in area of prime responsibility

Some other nearest options just not keen on, either due to stats, ranking or what we have heard

hi you can put reasons however, unless exceptipnal social, or medical they are likely to have no bearig on the decision. initially it will be determined by the oversub criteria.

it sounds like you are going to striggle initially die to demand on places and the popularity. after initial allocation if u havemissed out there will be waiting list process and an appeal process to follow, although it would be worthwile seeing of it would be an infant class size appeal and if it is you may decide not to put yourself tjrough that process due to a legal class size limit and no flexibilty from the appeals panel including them not being able to factor in your circumstances.