Choosing new surround speakers for AV32R DP

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by maj74, Mar 27, 2006.

Tags:
  1. maj74

maj74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Am currently in the porcess of upgrading my speakers and although I only use 5.1 at the moment, I want to replace speakers with a 7.1 setup so that I have matching speakers ready for when I have a larger living room!

I'll be honest I've always struggled to get my head round the reasons for and against using conventional speakers as surrounds, or using di/bipole surrounds.

Now I was in a branch of Sevenoaks today and was told by the salesman:

In a 5.1 setup in a medium sized room, use normal speakers as surrounds.

In a 7.1 setup, use 2 pairs of di/bipoles.

He was very clear that this was the correct strategy for each situation. Is this a generally agreed viewpoint, or is this just made-up salesman talk?

Any comments much appreciated.

I should perhaps add that I listen to quite a lot of multichannel music, not just movies.

2. laalves

laalves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I am to believe that this is greatly a matter of taste. If I remember reading correctly, the THX Ultra2 calls for dipoles in the lateral walls and two conventional speakers, close together (yes, as close as possible), in the back wall.

That said, mostly out of convenience and taste, I have 4 dipoles in the lateral positions.

I wouldn't recommend my Monitor Audios, since they distort at times (loud effects soundtracks, even with a 150Hz cuttoff), and are clearly an area for future improvement, but, to my ears the dipole way all around is excellent for dispersing sound all around, and are quite difficult to localise.

I'm considering a future upgrade to some B&W or Revel models. Not the most urgent one, however, since I don't listen to multichannel music. To this effect I have read that most people prefer conventional speakers for SACD and DVD-A, BUT remember that these are strictly 5.1 in spec.

Luis