Choosing new speakers

And yes the Dynaudio Evoke 30 are 4 ohm speakers but the impedance curve of speakers move with the frequency on how loud you play.

I am quite surprised the 1120 can’t do wonders which has build in room software correction. Probably been proven it doesn’t work any room then, we’ll...

I don’t own the 1120 but you haven’t tried too do run RP from scratch again?

Or buy the Bladelius, Primare, Hegel amplifiers which most certainly indeed can drive 4 ohm speakers.

@Aslund, did you mean 8 ohm or 4 ohm when I mentioned the System Audio speakers?

8 ohm should be no problem. If it was 4 ohm you meant I’m quite surprised that can’t work with the 1120.

Why not Tannoy Eaton, yes they are “stand mounted speakers” in away. Even so just place them on the floor. The sound we’ll reach your ears correctly.
They are designed that way.

Two in each corner, left right would do wonders with the 1120.

Tannoy are super easy to drive for most amplifiers. 89 dB sensitivity, 8 ohm. In practice you can drive them with an amplifier around 40 watts if the sensitivity are 89 dB.

If not KEF R5, R7. But the finish is not pretty. So I would chose the black finish. I believe there are only two color options.

I mentioned the Special 40's with the sub for a very special reason in that they can match "most" towers for sound quality .. but i appreciate and understand your view on standmounts especially with small fingers around..

Floorstanders around the Evoke 50 quality i would touch ... hmmm... If.... you can get to demo a pair.. then the Gato Audio's FM-30 is a serious contender... sound wise i would say it sits in-between the Sonetto V and the Evoke 50 ... it's a unique listen for sure. They look visually appealing.. they are small and discrete for a floorstander at just 30L volume with 3 x 5" (127mm) midbass drivers, of which 1 is for mid and 2 are for the bass . They're 4ohm .. 87db sensitive and would work very well with the Lyngdorf.. and work well in smaller rooms :)

Being from Denmark also ... they should be relatively easy to find for you

Gato Audio FM-30 Three-Way Passive Floorstanding Speaker

fm-30_persp_black_grey.jpg
They also do this fine looking thing.

And also have a 30 day trial period.

Excellent find from Orobas.👍
Gato Audio. Never heard about them before. I can not find much information besides a few reviews. Even here in Denmark I can not find much about the brand, but they have office and showroom 20min from where I live.
Thank you for bringing it to my attention. Then I can check their floor-standing and wall speakers out :)
When I look at their frequency curve they indeed look a bit similar to Sonus Faber. I only wonder if the backward bass port will be a disadvantages compared to the downward one on Sonus Faber.

To check out wall-mounted speakers I went today to HifiKlubben. The Danish Dali and Lyngdorf dealer and I heard there two systems:
and

I have heard floor-standing speakers before from Dali in HifiKlubben and after listening to the wall-mounted speakers I am sure now. I do not like the Dali sound. It is a bit funny as I have used my Dali 850 for 15 years. But my ears want something different after noticing the more open and airy sound I got when I connected my Dali 850 with Lyngdorf TDAI-1120.
I listen to the Lyngdorf MH-2 and BW-2 and I really enjoyed the sound much more than the Dali combo, but I must also admit that listning to the Lyngdorf I could not help but to compare it to Sonus Faber Sonetto V, that I listen to last weekend. I really missed the upper tones from the Sonus Faber when I listened to the Lyngdorf combo. I think I have been bewitched by their sound. On the other hand the Lyngdorf combo is much easier for me to position and costs half of a pair of Sonetto V. Other problem is whether I can get enough out of the speakers with my room to justify the cost. @Helix Hifi you mentioned that the Sonetto V could play quite dynamic with the right amplifier, would that include the Lyngdorf TDAI-1120?

Hello, have you considered the Evoke 30?

Everything I read suggests they are good in small to medium rooms.
That is another essence of my problem. When I audition a speaker in a much smaller room than my own, how much of my experience can I transfer to my room. Evoke 50 was terrible in the small audition room, but will it shine in my bigger living room? And vise-versa for Evoke 30?

🙏 Busy at present - threads been busy I see (I blame @Paul7777x :rotfl: for everything really) hope to catch up with where you're at over the next few days.

Taasrup hurrah ! Last member I tried to help was in Aalborg ! Give me a shout if there's anything I can do.
Thank you for you willingness to help. While I wrote this thread to settle my thoughts I have plenty of questions still in my head:

- Is Sonetto V and TDAI-1120 a good match and can I make it work in my room (Without moving the speakers to another wall or move them several meters forward?). I might be able to move the speaker to around 50cm from the wall, but then the distance between the speakers will shrink.

- How is the musicality of Arendal 1961 Monitors + 1S Sub? Their price in tempting but I hate their marketing. They indirectly make it sound like returns is free and only reveal 10% cut when you go into detail. That irritates me.

- How much do you sacrifice on wall-mounted speakers. I am no expert at judging and listning. For me wall-mounted speakers and a subwoofer sounded fine. On the other hand I am worried if you loose to much quality on this combo.

And yes the Dynaudio Evoke 30 are 4 ohm speakers but the impedance curve of speakers move with the frequency on how loud you play.

I am quite surprised the 1120 can’t do wonders which has build in room software correction. Probably been proven it doesn’t work any room then, we’ll...

I don’t own the 1120 but you haven’t tried too do run RP from scratch again?

Or buy the Bladelius, Primare, Hegel amplifiers which most certainly indeed can drive 4 ohm speakers.
@Aslund, did you mean 8 ohm or 4 ohm when I mentioned the System Audio speakers?

8 ohm should be no problem. If it was 4 ohm you meant I’m quite surprised that can’t work with the 1120.
Thanks a lot for your passion to help me :)
When I talked to the sales guy regarding the Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 he just mentioned that he would recommend 4 Ohm speakers and avoid 8 Ohm speakers. You should not always trust what a sale representative tells you. On the other hand I have noticed that Lyngdorf always uses their 4 Ohm output as a part of their model name, so I thought there was some truth behind it.

@Aslund re the Gate-Audio

They are a really fascinating speaker in their design.. they sound like a much more open and airy sonus with a touch of the Dynaudio bottom end.. almost like a hybrid.

Pay particular interest to the rear speaker terminals and the jumper system.. the jumper system is almost like an equaliser depending on what the points used are... This is how you "tune" the speakers output.

prod_pres_fm-30_03_big.jpg

Being only 30L .. they are compact but punchy and will use that rear port to aid their bass.. not to bloat it....

Have a demo.. take your lyngdorf or if they can.. get a home demo.. they are a very interesting listen :)

Thank you for you willingness to help. While I wrote this thread to settle my thoughts I have plenty of questions still in my head:
Still too busy at the moment - I've not yet even read the whole thread:facepalm:. Will let you know when I have.

I’d also not be too concerned about moving speakers out into the room.

Lyngdorf expressly recommend quite the opposite with RP.

And wall mounted is their preferred mode.

I also didn’t know about Arendals 10% charge.

So they can pork themselves. I was interested...

@Aslund I have finally read the thread.

You have some very knowledgable and experienced members on this thread - who do not just repeat something that they've read, heard, or been told. Their advice is based an real personal experience and reliable sources - not some rubbish they've picked up social media or youtube or a lack of understanding of how complex the issue of sound reproduction actually is.

I apologise if I've missed someone out but IMHO posts by @Ugg10 @Paul7777x and @Orobas are such people.

The source of information is important - for example the manufacturer of the items website. Taking Lyngdorf as an example you seem to be being given hearsay and anecdotal advice. There are many Lyngdorf threads on the forum - I'll leave it to my more knowledgable colleagues to suggest any they think would be good starting place.

Speaking personally I use the like/agree etc button on posts which are fact or personal experience based. I can't speak for my colleagues, but as a generalisation I don't use the button on posts that are dubious. There are many posts on this thread with no reactions against them.

with a pair of subs
I always advise having a sub ( because they are designed for the purpose of accurately reproducing the bottom octaves - as a generalisation even large expensive floor standers have next to no output in the bottom octave - bottom C on a piano is 16.35Hz) in your case due to the size of room you should have 2. This should also deal with room modes better and will help the 1120 to correct your room better. Integrating a sub is usually a nightmare and two is even worse but you have the 1120 which will do it for you.
I must say I’m quite surprised the 1120 with digital room correction can’t solve the issue, they are supposed to..

But I haven’t tried the Lyngdorf.
I also am surprised by this - as I posted above - there are threads that will help you with this.

If there are concerns about the 1120 not being powerful enough, I would first suggest that a Lyngdorf speaker set would help and there's always the option of adding a power amp. A class D amp based on either the Hypex or Purifi modules need not be expensive and have been well reviewed and recommended by folk who have bought or built them.

Purifi Audio

nordacoustics.co.uk/ Nord make very high quality amps using the above modules.

I have to go now but if you're interested in those class D amps let me know. :)

@Baron Mole Thank-you for your comments regarding both mine, and some of the other members that have posted on this forum and it is much appreciated.

With the Gate-Audio .. I have tried to reach a compromise with the room layout and lack of moving options to give that floorstander that doesnt boom or get too muddy down in the bass area whilst still retaining that punch airy sound :)

The FM-30 is a lovely speaker that just works and the way their crossover is setup, i do believe the Lyngdorf can take full advantage of.. its the jumper setting that has to be got right .. that's the only awkward bit too them :)

The Lyngdorf has a much better separation of the sound which highlights that the bass is quite boomy. RoomPerfect helps but doesn't eliminate the problem

I must say I’m quite surprised the 1120 with digital room correction can’t solve the issue, they are supposed to.

I am quite surprised the 1120 can’t do wonders which has build in room software correction.
Agree. There may be an unidentified issue with your setup. I would be wary of spending big money until you can be confident of your understanding of the problem. If it were my money, I'd investigate bit more (but then I'm tight!)

A few thoughts...

Can you be certain the Lyndorf's room correction is working and optimally set up? If it's set just fine, why is it not doing it's job? I have no experience of room correction - maybe there's a simple answer?

Whilst I understand that you have tired of the Dali 850's sound, experimenting with these speakers may help point you in the right direction. Have you tried blocking the Dali's ports? What effect on sound quality did this have, with and without room correction? And does the Lyndorf's room correction allow user customizable settings? Worth experimenting with if it does.

Would Sonus Faber Sonatta V speakers be positioned in exactly the same place as the existing Dali's? Whilst you have a decent sized listening room (opening into another room), IME of using many speakers in many different sized rooms, I would anticipate an overly warm tonal balance (with uneven bass) from the Dali 850 (and speakers of similar size) in the same position in your room, although the seating position often makes a big difference to perceived tonal balance. The left speaker is just "too hemmed in" (too much stuff nearby, too close to rear and side wall) so I wouldn't expect the light, airy sound you seek is possible, even with a capable speaker. Positioning the Sonus speakers in the same place could give disappointing results so a home demo (or option to return) is a must.

Best guess - speakers designed for wall mounting + sub will give more accurate results in your room than higher quality speakers in the current position.

I also have a problem understanding the idea to have a small speaker that need to be mounted and placed like a tower. Why not get a tower then instead of paying insane money for a simple stand?

Problem with larger speakers is the often underestimated sonic effect of cabinet panel resonances. Drive units' movements cause cabinet panels to vibrate thus panel resonances add to the sound we hear. And panels continue to resonate for a (very) short time after the drive units have stopped moving. Small speakers = smaller panels and therefore less energy storage to blur the sound. Some manufacturers go to great lengths to minimize cabinet resonances, e.g. Q Acoustics with their concept 500 floorstander.

Last edited:
@Aslund, as mentioned I have not listed to the 1120 personally, so I can not comment if the Sonus Faber could work well with 1120, only you can decide if you like the sound.

If I were you I would search for the Lyngdorf tread, many helpful people there who can help you.

As mentioned your are quite uncertain if the speakers would work fine in your room, is difficult to tell, even with Lyngdorf it i seems,

Perhaps you should send private mail to the Lyngdorf experts/hifi sales persons here on the forum.

@Rob Sinden, I believe knows how Lyngdorf room correction system works perfectly.

Proac Response D30, sealed speakers. You’ll find them if you search the model number, and Denmark.

Not heard personally, but read stories online they are supposed too be one the 🇬🇧 legendary speakers like Harbeth, Spendor.

The classic BBC sound I believe with some warmth in the midrange.

I could be entirely wrong about their voicing, so I leave it to the members who live in the uk to comment on how this speakers sound.

Either that... or go sexy.. Dynaudio Special 40 ... with a pair of subs :)
That’s what I have and it’s definitely ‘sexy’ 😉😂

I very much agree with @dogfonos . Your room is very large and that together with the open plan element would suggest to me that it has rather unusual acoustics.

I'm thinking you should post the issue on the main Lyngdorf thread to access the much more expert knowledge of people who know RP inside out.

@Aslund re the Gate-Audio

They are a really fascinating speaker in their design.. they sound like a much more open and airy sonus with a touch of the Dynaudio bottom end.. almost like a hybrid.

Pay particular interest to the rear speaker terminals and the jumper system.. the jumper system is almost like an equaliser depending on what the points used are... This is how you "tune" the speakers output.

prod_pres_fm-30_03_big.jpg

Being only 30L .. they are compact but punchy and will use that rear port to aid their bass.. not to bloat it....

Have a demo.. take your lyngdorf or if they can.. get a home demo.. they are a very interesting listen :)
You are certainly giving them a lot of credit. They are also located actually on the way to work, so I could arrange a listen one day when I am leaving office early. But I am a bit curious, how do you know about them and more importantly, why do you not own a set? :)
What they write on the website sounds very amazingly and your warm words inspire confidence in giving them a listen, but I wonder why the brand is not more widely recognized if they are so good?

Agree. There may be an unidentified issue with your setup. I would be wary of spending big money until you can be confident of your understanding of the problem. If it were my money, I'd investigate bit more (but then I'm tight!)

A few thoughts...

Can you be certain the Lyndorf's room correction is working and optimally set up? If it's set just fine, why is it not doing it's job? I have no experience of room correction - maybe there's a simple answer?

Whilst I understand that you have tired of the Dali 850's sound, experimenting with these speakers may help point you in the right direction. Have you tried blocking the Dali's ports? What effect on sound quality did this have, with and without room correction? And does the Lyndorf's room correction allow user customizable settings? Worth experimenting with if it does.

Would Sonus Faber Sonatta V speakers be positioned in exactly the same place as the existing Dali's? Whilst you have a decent sized listening room (opening into another room), IME of using many speakers in many different sized rooms, I would anticipate an overly warm tonal balance (with uneven bass) from the Dali 850 (and speakers of similar size) in the same position in your room, although the seating position often makes a big difference to perceived tonal balance. The left speaker is just "too hemmed in" (too much stuff nearby, too close to rear and side wall) so I wouldn't expect the light, airy sound you seek is possible, even with a capable speaker. Positioning the Sonus speakers in the same place could give disappointing results so a home demo (or option to return) is a must.

Best guess - speakers designed for wall mounting + sub will give more accurate results in your room than higher quality speakers in the current position.

Problem with larger speakers is the often underestimated sonic effect of cabinet panel resonances. Drive units' movements cause cabinet panels to vibrate thus panel resonances add to the sound we hear. And panels continue to resonate for a (very) short time after the drive units have stopped moving. Small speakers = smaller panels and therefore less energy storage to blur the sound. Some manufacturers go to great lengths to minimize cabinet resonances, e.g. Q Acoustics with their concept 500 floorstander.
One thing I might have forgotten to mention is that I do not own the Lyngdorf TDAI-1120. I borrowed it home for a weekend to check it out, so my experimentation was limited. From the thread I have also noticed I have made an error by actually pulling the speakers a bit more out when testing. Seems it should have been closed to the wall.
If I got a pair of Sonetto V then it would be placed the same place. I might increase the length from the side wall from 21cm to 50cm but then the speakers will also be 30 cm closer to each other.
I really hope that the Sonetto V will not be hampered too much as it is really is my favorite speaker so far in my audition.
But the next step in my effort in home testing, but I use this thread to seek out some feedback and gain some knowledge. Like I have now learned about my errors in RoomPerfect.
And thank you for your explanation regarding large and small speaker, but how do you then find a suitable sub for your speakers? At least with floorstanding everything is matched together, is it not?

@Aslund, as mentioned I have not listed to the 1120 personally, so I can not comment if the Sonus Faber could work well with 1120, only you can decide if you like the sound.

If I were you I would search for the Lyngdorf tread, many helpful people there who can help you.

As mentioned your are quite uncertain if the speakers would work fine in your room, is difficult to tell, even with Lyngdorf it i seems,

Perhaps you should send private mail to the Lyngdorf experts/hifi sales persons here on the forum.

@Rob Sinden, I believe knows how Lyngdorf room correction system works perfectly.
Proac Response D30, sealed speakers. You’ll find them if you search the model number, and Denmark.

Not heard personally, but read stories online they are supposed too be one the 🇬🇧 legendary speakers like Harbeth, Spendor.

The classic BBC sound I believe with some warmth in the midrange.

I could be entirely wrong about their voicing, so I leave it to the members who live in the uk to comment on how this speakers sound.
I will try to seek out the Lyngdorf geeks and see if they have any experience with TDAI-1120 and floorstanding speakers. One thing that attracts me to Sonotte V, besides the gorgeous looks and amazing sound, is the very balanced and even impedance load of the speakers. It is something they themselves point out and it really seems to be a speaker that they have dedicated a lot of effort in both design, electronics and drives. I do not know if tickle down is a myth or not, but it is a company used to make speakers ten times the price and knows where to cut corner for more mortal audiophiles :D
And the Proac Response D30 is way way too expensive for me. Sonetto V is the absolute limit. I even told me wife a fake price that is 40% under the sale price to avoid being scolded :D
I always advise having a sub ( because they are designed for the purpose of accurately reproducing the bottom octaves - as a generalisation even large expensive floor standers have next to no output in the bottom octave - bottom C on a piano is 16.35Hz) in your case due to the size of room you should have 2. This should also deal with room modes better and will help the 1120 to correct your room better. Integrating a sub is usually a nightmare and two is even worse but you have the 1120 which will do it for you.

I also am surprised by this - as I posted above - there are threads that will help you with this.

If there are concerns about the 1120 not being powerful enough, I would first suggest that a Lyngdorf speaker set would help and there's always the option of adding a power amp. A class D amp based on either the Hypex or Purifi modules need not be expensive and have been well reviewed and recommended by folk who have bought or built them.

Purifi Audio

nordacoustics.co.uk/ Nord make very high quality amps using the above modules.

I have to go now but if you're interested in those class D amps let me know. :)
Thank you for your input. I listen to a Lyngdorf speaker set but I miss the Sonus Faber sound. I am a bit divided what to do. Sonus Faber has a wall-mounting Sonetto speaker but I do not know how they compare to Sonetto V when combined with a subwoofer. My question is then also what to choose of subwoofer. Should you choose the Sonus Faber Gravis Subwoofer or another brand?

You are certainly giving them a lot of credit. They are also located actually on the way to work, so I could arrange a listen one day when I am leaving office early. But I am a bit curious, how do you know about them and more importantly, why do you not own a set? :)
What they write on the website sounds very amazingly and your warm words inspire confidence in giving them a listen, but I wonder why the brand is not more widely recognized if they are so good?

One thing I might have forgotten to mention is that I do not own the Lyngdorf TDAI-1120. I borrowed it home for a weekend to check it out, so my experimentation was limited. From the thread I have also noticed I have made an error by actually pulling the speakers a bit more out when testing. Seems it should have been closed to the wall.
If I got a pair of Sonetto V then it would be placed the same place. I might increase the length from the side wall from 21cm to 50cm but then the speakers will also be 30 cm closer to each other.
I really hope that the Sonetto V will not be hampered too much as it is really is my favorite speaker so far in my audition.
But the next step in my effort in home testing, but I use this thread to seek out some feedback and gain some knowledge. Like I have now learned about my errors in RoomPerfect.
And thank you for your explanation regarding large and small speaker, but how do you then find a suitable sub for your speakers? At least with floorstanding everything is matched together, is it not?

I will try to seek out the Lyngdorf geeks and see if they have any experience with TDAI-1120 and floorstanding speakers. One thing that attracts me to Sonotte V, besides the gorgeous looks and amazing sound, is the very balanced and even impedance load of the speakers. It is something they themselves point out and it really seems to be a speaker that they have dedicated a lot of effort in both design, electronics and drives. I do not know if tickle down is a myth or not, but it is a company used to make speakers ten times the price and knows where to cut corner for more mortal audiophiles :D
And the Proac Response D30 is way way too expensive for me. Sonetto V is the absolute limit. I even told me wife a fake price that is 40% under the sale price to avoid being scolded :D

Thank you for your input. I listen to a Lyngdorf speaker set but I miss the Sonus Faber sound. I am a bit divided what to do. Sonus Faber has a wall-mounting Sonetto speaker but I do not know how they compare to Sonetto V when combined with a subwoofer. My question is then also what to choose of subwoofer. Should you choose the Sonus Faber Gravis Subwoofer or another brand?
@Aslund Why do i not own a pair... (A) i cant afford that sort of money! ... (B) i have always preferred Roksan / Dynaudio (Standmount) / Old REL Sub partnership, (C) My room is on a first floor.. wooden floorboards, almost zero insulation/carpet and i have nosey neighbours underneath me that complain about the slightest bass thump despite the fact they are severe alcholics and keep me up all hours of the night..

As for how i know about them.... I am well versed with alot of amps and speakers :) I've listened to alot and played with alot since 1996 and have owned stuff from Nytech, Ion, Krell, Sonus Faber, Quadrel, Restek, etc over the years :)

A lot of brands like to keep a relatively low profile and just concentrate on the equipment these days. Gato-Audio are one such company. You generally only find them at a select few hi-fi dealerships these days that specialise in that niche market of top end hifi from non "domestic names
Think of Gato-Audio like Bang & Olufsen .. a one stop manufacturer, dealer and vender package :)

To give you an idea of the pedigree of shops that would stock them.. just check out Pink Noise in Bruxelles for example .. PINK NOISE | ENCEINTES ACOUSTIQUES

This is their showroom
EKxtBH4WoAUym1F

Thats the Gato's straddling a pair of Harbeth Super HL5 XD's (6,000 euros for the pair without stands) with the amps there being Gato's on the top and Analogue Audio on the bottom!

Gato-Audio obviously want you to use their own Gato amps for best matching sound.. but looking at the above photo and the one below.. you can see the FM30 has been used with many different brands.. The one below i can see Valve kit, i can see Naim, and a load of other brands on show... with no Gato amps in sight
IMG_8039.JPG

The above photo was from another polish review.. and they had Musical Fidelity M5si's the Naim is the Supernait 3i and the big reds are the SPL Director preamp with the SPL Performer M1000 Poweramps (each mononlock is nearly 4,000 euros and the pre is about 3,300 euros)
Głośniki podłogowe Gato Audio FM-30 review. Right click to translate to your language

Last edited:

I’m convinced you already have your answer.

You clearly love the SF sound so I’d simply go for the wall mounts and the Gravis (or two).

It’s what Lyngdorf strongly recommend and the sound suits you. Best of all worlds imo.

However, the SF subs are expensive.

So for the price of the floorstanders you can get the the wallmounts and a pair of BK Electronics XLS 200s.

Small, in ten finishes and sound superb.

BK ship to Europe and have all the vat/import business sorted out.

Last edited:
Ps, a lot of people are put off buying small or wall mounted speakers by the belief that the bigger, more expensive ones in the same range must sound ‘better’.

That is not usually the case. They may well sound bigger, naturally.

But there is plenty of room for the smaller speaker to be the better sounding in that it is a smaller cabinet and less prone to resonance, especially at volume.

And smaller cabinets are much cheaper to build and ship. It’s a big difference, so the smaller speakers have the advantage of being as profitable as the bigger ones for much less outlay.

Much of the price difference between floorstanders and smaller speakers is composed of the shipping cost, the building time and cost, and the extra margin dealers require.

Sound quality is rarely a concern.

And, crucially, there are very, very few floorstanders of whatever size and price and reputation, that can match the sound mass and size of excellent small speakers and properly integrated subwoofers.

Also consider these perhaps (and sub/s ).

Very wife friendly and would allow you to consider using the longer wall as the tv/hifi space.

Or better again.

Finally, I promise, genuine three way, Olympica quality for the price of Sonnettos.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom