Choosing new speakers

Aslund

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone

First of all a big thanks to everyone who shared their opinion regarding my quest on finding an all-in-one amplifier in New All-in-one amplifier
The short recap is that I am interested in Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 but my current speakers, Dali 850, is not a good match. The Lyngdorf has a much better separation of the sound which highlights that the bass is quite boomy. RoomPerfect helps but doesn't eliminate the problem.
I have therefore been searching for a pair of speakers to match Lyngdorf TDAI-1120. Since I am from Denmark my choice of speakers is limited to what is available here. Another problem is placement, my current speakers are positioned quite close to the wall, which might also explain the boomy bass that I experience, so I need something that is more insensitive to placement. Pictures can be seen here: Speaker placement
I was also told to focus on 4 ohm speakers for the Lyngdorf TDAI-1120.

I visited one dealer in my area which has Dynaudio Emit 50 and Dynaudio Evoke 50 on display.
Dynaudio Emit 50 - Your hi-fi journey starts here
Evoke 50 - Large floorstanding speaker for home audio - Dynaudio
I much say I was quite impressed with Emit 50 given the price. It has a good full sound and amazing bass. There was a few hiccups with the bass in a few songs but it might be due to the room being quite small. The audition room was around 4m x 4m and treated. The Evoke 50 was absolutely terrible in that room, the bass was totally off and I did not enjoy them at all. They might sound better in a bigger room but I am a bit hesitant since my experience with them left me the impression that they are quite picky with placement.

Another speaker I have been looking at is the Sonus Faber Lumina V.
The three-way floor standing loudspeaker Lumina V | Sonus faber
Sadly I was not able to find any dealer with Lumina V, but I visited one which had Lumina III on display. That room was even smaller, around 4m x 3m with concrete floor and the back-wall treated. Here the Lumina III again has the issue with bass and it was not a pleasant experience.

Lastly I have tried Sonus Faber Sonetto V.
3-Way Stand Loudspeaker Sonetto V | Sonus faber
That was auditioned at a third dealer with a bigger room, maybe 5m x 5m. The sound really left an amazing impression with me. They where not as bass heavy as Emit 50. Emit 50 could really shift the bass according to what is played, something I a bit missed with Sonetto V, but it has a full and deep sound. The high frequencies really stood out and I enjoyed the ability to suddenly hear things in my music I did not hear before.
While the bass did not impress me so much I also feel a bit relieved as they might work nicely with being placed close to the wall.

Basically what I need to do now is to either audition more speakers or select some for home audition. Currently I have Emit 50 as my budget choice and Sonetto V as the more premium option.
Any input is deeply appreciated :)

Regards
Sebastian

Have you thought about the Lyngdorf speakers that are designed to be wall mounted and work with the room perfect system. The FR1 full range wall speakers with a BW2 subwoofer come in around £2500 in the UK which is half way between your two options. Or add a second BW2 if you need even more bass.

Last edited:
Either that... or go sexy.. Dynaudio Special 40 ... with a pair of subs :)

Hello everyone

First of all a big thanks to everyone who shared their opinion regarding my quest on finding an all-in-one amplifier in New All-in-one amplifier
The short recap is that I am interested in Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 but my current speakers, Dali 850, is not a good match. The Lyngdorf has a much better separation of the sound which highlights that the bass is quite boomy. RoomPerfect helps but doesn't eliminate the problem.
I have therefore been searching for a pair of speakers to match Lyngdorf TDAI-1120. Since I am from Denmark my choice of speakers is limited to what is available here. Another problem is placement, my current speakers are positioned quite close to the wall, which might also explain the boomy bass that I experience, so I need something that is more insensitive to placement. Pictures can be seen here: Speaker placement
I was also told to focus on 4 ohm speakers for the Lyngdorf TDAI-1120.

I visited one dealer in my area which has Dynaudio Emit 50 and Dynaudio Evoke 50 on display.
Dynaudio Emit 50 - Your hi-fi journey starts here
Evoke 50 - Large floorstanding speaker for home audio - Dynaudio
I much say I was quite impressed with Emit 50 given the price. It has a good full sound and amazing bass. There was a few hiccups with the bass in a few songs but it might be due to the room being quite small. The audition room was around 4m x 4m and treated. The Evoke 50 was absolutely terrible in that room, the bass was totally off and I did not enjoy them at all. They might sound better in a bigger room but I am a bit hesitant since my experience with them left me the impression that they are quite picky with placement.

Another speaker I have been looking at is the Sonus Faber Lumina V.
The three-way floor standing loudspeaker Lumina V | Sonus faber
Sadly I was not able to find any dealer with Lumina V, but I visited one which had Lumina III on display. That room was even smaller, around 4m x 3m with concrete floor and the back-wall treated. Here the Lumina III again has the issue with bass and it was not a pleasant experience.

Lastly I have tried Sonus Faber Sonetto V.
3-Way Stand Loudspeaker Sonetto V | Sonus faber
That was auditioned at a third dealer with a bigger room, maybe 5m x 5m. The sound really left an amazing impression with me. They where not as bass heavy as Emit 50. Emit 50 could really shift the bass according to what is played, something I a bit missed with Sonetto V, but it has a full and deep sound. The high frequencies really stood out and I enjoyed the ability to suddenly hear things in my music I did not hear before.
While the bass did not impress me so much I also feel a bit relieved as they might work nicely with being placed close to the wall.

Basically what I need to do now is to either audition more speakers or select some for home audition. Currently I have Emit 50 as my budget choice and Sonetto V as the more premium option.
Any input is deeply appreciated :)

Regards
Sebastian
Sonus Faber are laidback warm speakers, Dynaudio warm too but also more dynamic.

If voices are important too you, then Sonus Faber wins with their romantic nice midrange. And with right amplifier they sound quite dynamic also.

The Dynaudio, Sonus Faber need both large rooms, 6. 6 meters. Pretty large living.

You don’t seem to say anything on how large your living room is, if I’m not mistaken. One option is to try two Sonus Faber Sonnetto 2, then see if you need subwoofer.

Or two Dynaudio Evoke 20. Maybe with subwoofers. Or if you can place your current speakers on the long wall of living room, if you can.

Or try some floor standing speakers from local hifi shops. Speakers are room dependent, some can sing in one room not in the other.

I must say I’m quite surprised the 1120 with digital room correction can’t solve the issue, they are supposed to..

But I haven’t tried the Lyngdorf. You can try another amplifier? I remember long I used the Nad 350 with B&W 601 S1 speakers. The sound was boomy no matter what I did, then boom the Arcam A80 solved the problem totally. Why because the Arcam sounded more neutral with some warmth in the midrange.

Last edited:
You can’t try the different voicing on the 1120. Focus etc,

Try some Soundcare Superspikes, damping feet’s under speakers also. Amazon has plenty options.

Since I am from Denmark my choice of speakers is limited to what is available here.
Although I'm in the UK I have a decent knowledge of what's available in Denmark due to recently responding to someone in Denmark. I'll watch the thread and see if I can be helpful at any point.

I'm aware that the different dealers who supply the less mainstream (HifiKlubben) brands are very geographically distant but it would be helpful to know which town you live in.

Since it seems your budget is high then maybe System Audio Legend speakers may suit you.

These may be rather good. All reports seem to indicate so, and the RP will make them better.

They also have a 45 day home test period.

And I’d seriously consider these three.

No middleman, straight to your door, making them exceptionally good Value and they have a stellar reputation.

And, a free return policy if you’re not delighted.

The only real way to test a speaker is in your room with your own amp.

EDIT.

Both the S400 and Arendal claim to be largely placement agnostic.

Last edited:
Sorry, didn’t see the sketch of your room. That is pretty large living room if my math is not totally off.

Simple solution-place your current speakers on the long wall on the left side of the sketch.

It probably would be a pain moving everything but it could be worth it. Then maybe the speakers you are looking at would perfect fine in that room.

Btw, those Buchard speakers are supposed to be fantastic according to the internet. Radiator bass on the rear of speakers.

Ps, the chair in front of the left speaker is a killer. Can it be removed?

...and as Helix says, rearranging the hifi to the long wall side would be very much the better way to go.

(With the speakers around 2.5 metres apart).

Lyngdorf even recommend it.

The room it self has a depth of 7 meters. Move them 2 meters from the side walls/back walls.

And try and rearrange your listing chair.

Have you thought about the Lyngdorf speakers that are designed to be wall mounted and work with the room perfect system. The FR1 full range wall speakers with a BW2 subwoofer come in around £2500 in the UK which is half way between your two options. Or add a second BW2 if you need even more bass.
Actually no. It could be an idea to try to give them a listen. There is a big chain here, HifiKlubben, who should have them on display. But is there a reason to go after FR1 if you plan to use the subwoofer? Lyngdorf themselves refers to MH-2 in combination with BW-2?

I have been considering a similar setup with Arendal. They have wallmounting speakers and subwoofer too. My only problem is that I always seem to see them in regards to home cinema so I wonder how good they are for music. I properly weight music 80% music and 20% TV/movies.
They might be offering a try-and-buy but it is not as simple as one might expect as they take 10% of selling price for handling freight and doing it myself would be a significant expense, so I have to choose carefully if I want to give Arendal a try or not. Especially with Lyngdorf as an alternative that I can actually listen to.

But I also wonder how these wallmounting systems is going ti compare to a tower speaker. For my simple inexperienced mind I would expect better sound from a tower.

Either that... or go sexy.. Dynaudio Special 40 ... with a pair of subs :)
I have a distaste for standmounted speakers. I have small children so a stand makes me worried. I also have a problem understanding the idea to have a small speaker that need to be mounted and placed like a tower. Why not get a tower then instead of paying insane money for a simple stand?

Since it seems your budget is high then maybe System Audio Legend speakers may suit you.
I was told to avoid 8 Ohm speakers for Lyngdorf TDAI-1120, so I am unsure it can handle SA Legend speakers.

Although I'm in the UK I have a decent knowledge of what's available in Denmark due to recently responding to someone in Denmark. I'll watch the thread and see if I can be helpful at any point.

I'm aware that the different dealers who supply the less mainstream (HifiKlubben) brands are very geographically distant but it would be helpful to know which town you live in.
I live close to Copenhagen in a city called Taastrup.

These may be rather good. All reports seem to indicate so, and the RP will make them better.

They also have a 45 day home test period.

I am not a bit fan of standmounting speakers. With small kids and I find the format strange, sorry, I am not so experienced to understand their value. I just see tower speakers or wallmounting speakers.

And I’d seriously consider these three.

No middleman, straight to your door, making them exceptionally good Value and they have a stellar reputation.

And, a free return policy if you’re not delighted.

The only real way to test a speaker is in your room with your own amp.

EDIT.

Both the S400 and Arendal claim to be largely placement agnostic.
I went into Arendal into my first reply too. It is an interesting brand. I dislike their 1723 monitor as it can not be wallmounted. The stand makes no sense to me. But their 1961 monitor can be wallmounted.
Again I am hampered by my inexperienced, but when I see the 1723 tower and notice it is a 2.5 way design I feel it is a bit underwhelming. I have the impression that a 3-way would be better?
I am also a little worried about the high power requirement of the 1723 tower, can the TDAI-1120 handle them?

Sorry, didn’t see the sketch of your room. That is pretty large living room if my math is not totally off.

Simple solution-place your current speakers on the long wall on the left side of the sketch.

It probably would be a pain moving everything but it could be worth it. Then maybe the speakers you are looking at would perfect fine in that room.

Btw, those Buchard speakers are supposed to be fantastic according to the internet. Radiator bass on the rear of speakers.
The room it self has a depth of 7 meters. Move them 2 meters from the side walls/back walls.

And try and rearrange your listing chair.
I have added some additional pictures to my lensdump folder. I don't have much space to work with as my wife as occupied as much as possible. Even my poor speakers are used for her decoration. Moving them 2m forward will also make it look very funny and strange.

Ps, the chair in front of the left speaker is a killer. Can it be removed?
Yea. I know. I have to have a look at it. We have a bit of cable mess behind it so we have to find a solution for that :)

Actually no. It could be an idea to try to give them a listen. There is a big chain here, HifiKlubben, who should have them on display. But is there a reason to go after FR1 if you plan to use the subwoofer? Lyngdorf themselves refers to MH-2 in combination with BW-2?

I have been considering a similar setup with Arendal. They have wallmounting speakers and subwoofer too. My only problem is that I always seem to see them in regards to home cinema so I wonder how good they are for music. I properly weight music 80% music and 20% TV/movies.
They might be offering a try-and-buy but it is not as simple as one might expect as they take 10% of selling price for handling freight and doing it myself would be a significant expense, so I have to choose carefully if I want to give Arendal a try or not. Especially with Lyngdorf as an alternative that I can actually listen to.

But I also wonder how these wallmounting systems is going ti compare to a tower speaker. For my simple inexperienced mind I would expect better sound from a tower.

I have a distaste for standmounted speakers. I have small children so a stand makes me worried. I also have a problem understanding the idea to have a small speaker that need to be mounted and placed like a tower. Why not get a tower then instead of paying insane money for a simple stand?

I was told to avoid 8 Ohm speakers for Lyngdorf TDAI-1120, so I am unsure it can handle SA Legend speakers.

I am not a bit fan of standmounting speakers. With small kids and I find the format strange, sorry, I am not so experienced to understand their value. I just see tower speakers or wallmounting speakers.

I went into Arendal into my first reply too. It is an interesting brand. I dislike their 1723 monitor as it can not be wallmounted. The stand makes no sense to me. But their 1961 monitor can be wallmounted.
Again I am hampered by my inexperienced, but when I see the 1723 tower and notice it is a 2.5 way design I feel it is a bit underwhelming. I have the impression that a 3-way would be better?
I am also a little worried about the high power requirement of the 1723 tower, can the TDAI-1120 handle them?

I have added some additional pictures to my lensdump folder. I don't have much space to work with as my wife as occupied as much as possible. Even my poor speakers are used for her decoration. Moving them 2m forward will also make it look very funny and strange.

Yea. I know. I have to have a look at it. We have a bit of cable mess behind it so we have to find a solution for that :)
I mentioned the Special 40's with the sub for a very special reason in that they can match "most" towers for sound quality .. but i appreciate and understand your view on standmounts especially with small fingers around..

Floorstanders around the Evoke 50 quality i would touch ... hmmm... If.... you can get to demo a pair.. then the Gato Audio's FM-30 is a serious contender... sound wise i would say it sits in-between the Sonetto V and the Evoke 50 ... it's a unique listen for sure. They look visually appealing.. they are small and discrete for a floorstander at just 30L volume with 3 x 5" (127mm) midbass drivers, of which 1 is for mid and 2 are for the bass . They're 4ohm .. 87db sensitive and would work very well with the Lyngdorf.. and work well in smaller rooms :)

Being from Denmark also ... they should be relatively easy to find for you

Gato Audio FM-30 Three-Way Passive Floorstanding Speaker

fm-30_persp_black_grey.jpg

“I went into Arendal into my first reply too. It is an interesting brand. I dislike their 1723 monitor as it can not be wallmounted. The stand makes no sense to me. But their 1961 monitor can be wallmounted.
I am also a little worried about the high power requirement of the 1723 tower, can the TDAI-1120 handle them?”

The 1723 tower does seem to present a very stiff current requirement. A lot of 3 Ohm or less impedance on their published curve.

A properly made three way should be better than an equivalent 2 or 2.5 way speaker, but they are not cheap. And pound for pound, Arendal are apparently exceptional so a three way of the same calibre will be expensive indeed.

And the point of the stands is to make the 1723 monitors look like tower speakers and to be as immovable. Whilst still having all the benefits of a standmounts.

In this case that would be a much easier load (never dipping below 4 Ohms so the 1120 would be more than happy driving them), and not overpowering the room.

I mentioned the Special 40's with the sub for a very special reason in that they can match "most" towers for sound quality .. but i appreciate and understand your view on standmounts especially with small fingers around..

Floorstanders around the Evoke 50 quality i would touch ... hmmm... If.... you can get to demo a pair.. then the Gato Audio's FM-30 is a serious contender... sound wise i would say it sits in-between the Sonetto V and the Evoke 50 ... it's a unique listen for sure. They look visually appealing.. they are small and discrete for a floorstander at just 30L volume with 3 x 5" (127mm) midbass drivers, of which 1 is for mid and 2 are for the bass . They're 4ohm .. 87db sensitive and would work very well with the Lyngdorf.. and work well in smaller rooms :)

Being from Denmark also ... they should be relatively easy to find for you

Gato Audio FM-30 Three-Way Passive Floorstanding Speaker

fm-30_persp_black_grey.jpg

They’re a mighty fine looking speaker with some intriguing technology too.

Last edited:
Spendor A7 may work also. Not difficult for most amplifiers.

They’re a mighty fine looking speaker 👍
They sound mighty fine too...

Soundrebels did a full hands on review of the FM-30... it is on polish but you can right click and translate to your native language.

Their review is here Gato Audio FM-30

They sum it all up perfectly at the end

Moreover, taking into account the fact that the FM-30 evidently disappear in rooms with an area of twenty square meters, if you are looking for small floorstanders with much more absorbing capabilities of your competitors, I would suggest starting with them.

They also do this fine looking thing.

And also have a 30 day trial period.

Excellent find from Orobas.👍

🙏 Busy at present - threads been busy I see (I blame @Paul7777x :rotfl: for everything really) hope to catch up with where you're at over the next few days.

Taasrup hurrah ! Last member I tried to help was in Aalborg ! Give me a shout if there's anything I can do.

The audition room was around 4m x 4m and treated. The Evoke 50 was absolutely terrible in that room, the bass was totally off and I did not enjoy them at all. They might sound better in a bigger room but I am a bit hesitant since my experience with them left me the impression that they are quite picky with placement.
Hello, have you considered the Evoke 30?

Everything I read suggests they are good in small to medium rooms.

I really don’t see how any of these speakers could work??

He does not have any room in the living room to move the speakers two meters from the side walls/back walls.

One option is to throw away/sell the tv stand, then buy some floor standing speakers.

Otherwise it is speakers which can be placed on the walls.

Sonetto Faber Sonetto has speakers which can be placed on the wall. You probably need two subwoofers with those speakers.

But why not buy the Evoke 30, then just move the tv rack.

Take your wife with you and listen too some speakers. You haven’t considered Martin Logan, Magnepan? Now experience with those speakers.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom