Choosing new speakers

gava

The world of the audiophile is positively overflowing with Veblen goods.

In blind listening tests it's really hard to tell apart modern decent amps with similar power ratings at vastly different price points.

Unblinded of course the differences are very obvious to audiophiles. :D

Orobas

How did you come to the conclusion that with RP removed the 1120 is £1200 amp??

Genuine question as I’m interested in how you would know this and what you based it on. My knowledge is limited at best so an genuinely interested.
It was a figurative guestimate.... The electronics and room perfect dsp is what makes the Lyngdorf what it is... take the electronics out and just leave the amp.. and to be honest .. i reckon that price point is about where it stacks generously. Can the Cyrus ONE Cast hold it's own against the 1120.. straight amp v straight amp.. nope.. the Cyrus is the loser here.. Can the 1120 without using its room perfect match a Hegel h90 on the same speakers.. not a chance. (and before you say anything.. i know the hegel is £1600 and not £1200) but price wise for amps.. £1500 is about where things get musically very interesting

andycc72

It was a figurative guestimate.... The electronics and room perfect dsp is what makes the Lyngdorf what it is... take the electronics out and just leave the amp.. and to be honest .. i reckon that price point is about where it stacks generously. Can the Cyrus ONE Cast hold it's own against the 1120.. straight amp v straight amp.. nope.. the Cyrus is the loser here.. Can the 1120 without using its room perfect match a Hegel h90 on the same speakers.. not a chance. (and before you say anything.. i know the hegel is £1600 and not £1200) but price wise for amps.. £1500 is about where things get musically very interesting
I had a Cyrus One (with Node2i) before switching to the 1120 and to my ears the 1120 was better even without RP activated. Although for the price point the One (not the Cast as I’ve never heard one so can’t speak on it ) is a cracking Amp.

Last edited:

andycc72

The Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 measured extremely poorly on another forum.
But when he tested it using RP as I imagine 99% of users will, the following was his conclusion:

Conclusions
As I had expected and hoped, the Lyngdorf RoomPerfect does a wonderful job of correcting the impact of the room, especially in low frequencies. Without correction, every system out there regardless of price of components, suffers from significant audible colorations and loss of detail and focus. No, you can't do the same with room treatment. Even the best treated room requires equalization. Over treating the room to get rid of the modes will create a dull/dead which you want to avoid.

The all-one-one aspect of the Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 showed its value in how it obsolete nearly $70,000 in gear in my room. Integration with Roon player (i.e. streaming) does it for me. Get yourself a pair of excellent speakers and pair it with the Lyngdorf and "you are done." Your tiny system will outperform tons of other systems without equalization.

Overall I am happy to give a recommendation for Lyngdorf TDAI-3400. Its room equalization is a joy to use and makes a fantastic difference to your listening experience.

FRFT

True, but everyone was talking about the performance without room perfect. It measures like a very cheap amp.

You can get the same performance for much less.

He also states "My company, Madrona Digital does business with one of the companies in the Lyngdorf family (Steinway Lyngdorf). I consider them a good partner of our company so feel free to read as much or as little bias as you feel is right into my review"

You also missed out this paragraph "Note that similar results could be had with other well implemented equalization system. While performance of RoomPerfect was excellent, it didn't do anything other good systems do. So I will be going to my Dirac system and more powerful amplification. But for someone starting fresh and aiming high, the Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 makes a ton of sense and causes you to forget the issues I found in measurements of its electronics."

andycc72

True, but everyone was talking about the performance without room perfect. It measures like a very cheap amp.

You can get the same performance for much less.

He also states "My company, Madrona Digital does business with one of the companies in the Lyngdorf family (Steinway Lyngdorf). I consider them a good partner of our company so feel free to read as much or as little bias as you feel is right into my review"

You also missed out this paragraph "Note that similar results could be had with other well implemented equalization system. While performance of RoomPerfect was excellent, it didn't do anything other good systems do. So I will be going to my Dirac system and more powerful amplification. But for someone starting fresh and aiming high, the Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 makes a ton of sense and causes you to forget the issues I found in measurements of its electronics."
I read the original review. My point was who is going to buy a 3400 and not use room perfect ?

Doesn’t he also say that the 3400 with RP activated was nearly as good as his $70k rig?

They slaughtered the Dynaudio Special 40’s on ASR too but to my ears they sound wonderful. Im not dismissing measurements but to me anyway they’re not the be and end all. The ASR crowed seem to me to be more into the science than the music.

Orobas

Let's not dilute the OP's thread folks.. we're 6 pages long already and going off topic. Might be an idea to start a new thread if we want to go off topic from what the OP want's and is reporting back and asking

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom