Choosing my first AV receiver

TheRealOC

Novice Member
Morning all, new poster here,

My wife and I are planning to build a house, and I'm trying to select an AV receiver for the house.

Would really appreciate a steer in the right direction as I've never owned an AV receiver before, and a lot of audiophile terminology goes right over my head. I'm looking for something that can accomodate the following:

1) Server cabinet: In my plans, I have a dedicated server cabinet where all my ethernet networking equipment, home server, etc can be rack mounted and stored in one area. If I were to store the AV receiver away in that area also, then I would be interfacing with it primarily via a smartphone app, or by Google Home voice control (or similar), as I would like to use it in multiple rooms in the house.

2) My Office: I'm a pretty hardcore retro gamer, and for the most part, I use original hardware. So I have about 20 consoles in my office ranging from a 4k-capable PS4 Pro all the way back to 1970s 240p consoles like the Atari 2600 (and everything in between) using a wide range of analogue video standards (RF, composite, component, RGB scart) and HDMI. Everything is run through a complicated network of switches and upscalers but the TLDR version is that I have the option of playing any given console on either an early-2000s CRT, or a 4k QLED (depending on what mood I'm in!).

I would love to be able to setup my office with both TVs side-by-side, and put a basic 5.1 system in the room, and have either TV output to the same speakers (if I could hook my PC workstation up to the same speakers also, that would be a bonus).

3) Home Theatre System in the living room: Very interested in setting up a 5.2.1 or a 7.2.1 home theatre system in the living room.

4) Rest of the house: We don't have anything particularly out-of-the-ordinary planned for the rest of the house. Probably we'd like to have in-ceiling speakers in a few other rooms, and have audio/video distribution to a couple of other TVs in the kitchen/main bedroom.

Obviously, my office is the fly in the ointment. If I was just setting up a home theatre and AV distribution through the house, I'd just buy the best receiver I can afford and call it a day. I know of two receivers (Denon AVR-X3400H and Denon AVR-X3500H) that are known in the retro-gaming community to work well with similar setups. And I guess I could also look on ebay for an older pre-HDMI receiver and setup a separate set of speakers just for the CRT television). But I really would like to a "one size fits all receiver" that can handle all the above - would anyone have any recommendations? (Thanks in advance and apologies for the long post!)

Last edited:

TheRealOC

Novice Member
Forgot to mention: the CRT has:
-1 Aerial input socket (RF),
  • 1 RCA (composite) inputs
  • 2 SCART inputs
  • A pair of L/R RCA Audio outputs

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom