1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

choosing is so hard to do

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by cerouax, Jul 19, 2002.

1. cerouax

cerouax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi everyone, I would appreciate a little assistance...
    after 2 unsuccessful attempts at buying a tv (one Philips 28PW6515 with an annoying buzz, although excellent picture for its price and a slanted screened JVC AV-28R250EKSC with bad edging but great sound) I am faced yet again with the traumatic pleasure of choosing a new tv.
    I really want to get it right this time and hope somebody can help.
    1. I am after a 28-32" flatscreen between £700-1000.
    2. I would prefer a surround system, although I am considering going basic on audio for now and getting a dvd 5.1 system later, is this a bad move?
    3. is the Toshiba 32Z17B any good?

Many thanks for help
    :D

2. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Stay away from the Toshiba 32Z17B. It truly is a misearble piece of work... I eventually managed to return mine in February. The set had many uncorrectable problems... brown patches on the screen, very bad geometry, a picture tilt... to make it worse the engineer was no help at all saying it was all "within spec"!! Steer Clear.

Sound system wise it all depends on how much you can afford to spend... separates will always give you the best sound, but for many, an integrated decoder is fine. The 5.1 systems that come with DVD players only tend to be as good as integrated systems found on TVs.

Get a demo of several TVs at a local store. Take along a favourite DVD and play with the settings on the TV. I personally have a Pixel+ set and many people are finding the new Toshiba PS TVs to be very good. Don't forget Sony either as they too have some good models if you avoid the ones with scrolling bars(!)Buying from somwhere like John Lewis will give you peace of mind should something go wrong.

Good luck with your search. ;)

3. cerouax

cerouax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks rct
    I have considered the Sony option, and I've seen that the KV28LS60S is recommended, unfortunately, I'm not too impressed by the look of the actual tv (and more importantly. neither is my girlfriend). I've also had a look at the KD-28DX40, but it only has 2 Scart sockets. Obviously the FQ series has flaws, are there any other sony models worth a look?

4. Dr.Magus

Dr.Magus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    rct i'm waiting for my 32Z17B to be delivered and i'd heard mostly good things about it but i'm worried mine will be total crap now:(

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you see it in store or are you going just by photographs? Reason I ask is that it doesn't look so good in photographs and seems to photograph badly; looks much sexier in the flesh. ;)

6. cerouax

cerouax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks for the reply SqGod, I've seen that particular model ( and the 35) more in photos, which has led me to walk straight by them instore. I will take your advice and have a closer look. After extensive searching online, however, the Philips 28PW9617 has caught my eye (so many more features for the price than a Sony), although going over a grand could prove a little hard to justify. Therefore I have a few more questions,
    1. Is the 28PW9617 all its cracked up to be? I have seen mention of a hissing sound in the rear speakers.
    2. I know its an awkward subject on this forum, so choose not to answer if you are concerned, but, are there any problems with online retailers (I've seen many good prices) when a fault develops, or any other bother I should know about? Any recommendations on any? (I think that's safe to do:) )
    3. I'm living near Swansea, so there are very few AV retailers locally aside from the high st giants (therefore hard to get specific models of tv nearby). There is one I know of, a Quinns store which I'll be visiting shortly:D but does anyone know of any other in this area?
    4. Can anyone recommend any JVC models for less than a grand?

7. cerouax

cerouax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Oops!:rolleyes:
    5. Does anyone recommend the Sony KV-32FX65 or the 28" model?

many thanks for your help

8. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm only "qualified" to answer 2 of your questions so here goes!

1. I have the 32" model and I'm very satisfied... the picture obtained from Pixel+ can really be superb, although when presented with poor quality feeds you may wish to revert to pure 100Hz or Double Lines (50Hz). The speakers do emit a slight hum from their transformer... if the noise is more than barely audible then something's wrong. I personally don't find the noise to be intrusive.

3. I think that by all means shop locally if you know the shop well etc. otherwise, for peace of mind, pop down to Cribbs Causeway and buy from JL... 5 year warranty too! I did.

Good luck anyways!

9. Orson

Orson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +670
    cerouax

I can offer opinion & share experience on a couple of points (listed in no particular order, & I may go off at tangents as I have been quenching my thirst :devil: );
    I've had a couple of Panasonic TX28PB50's which have both had problems (listed in other posts), but which have a great specification. I paid about £850 online, & could buy it from a local dealer for £1099. The one at the dealer looked superb, with none of the problems I've had. I thought this must be because the dealer had set it up properly etc, but when I went in this weekend to look at a Philips 28PW9617, they couldn't tell me how it worked, find the remote control or even the manual (no, it isn't a Dixons ;) ). When I asked them about the Panasonic, they wern't much better on that, but they did offer me a £100 discount off the display model, as they had had it on show for almost a year.
    (Tangent 1) I know Panasonic had a major fire just before christmas & lost a lot of stock, so perhaps the pre-fire models were better quality than the ones I've had in the last couple of months, as perhaps they are being rushed or whatever to re-stock - I had to wait for mine due to this. The shop probably did very little setting up.
    My point is what you get seems to be pot luck, & if I'd ordered a new Panasonic from a dealer, & they had to order it in, I may still have got a bad one, & paid alot more.
    As for buying online, I bought from HED, who have swapped sets, agreed to refund etc, but they have taken a long time about it - This has gone on for about 5 months. The latest position is they have agreed to swap my set for another, or give me a refund, however, as the set I want Philips (28PW9617) is of higher value, they want me to pay the difference, although they will price match & it leaves me £55 to pay. In an ideal world, I suppose I would like them to send me a really expensive good quality TV, & not ask me for any more money, but in reality I suppose they have been fair - they have sent several engineers to look at the problems - they've swapped once & now offered me a choice of what I want to do. I don't know if I would have got any better service from a high street dealer.
    As far as dealing with problems goes, I find it easier to pick up a phone than to trek to the shop, although I understand the appeal & the possibility of getting a result by making a big fuss in a busy shop on a Saturday afternoon, rather than being put on hold etc. My tip with buying online would be don't buy from anywhere that is email contact only (too easy for them to ignore), always get the name AND the direct dial phone number (they all have them) of the person you are dealing with, agree times that they are to get back in touch with you, and the first time they miss a target, phone & ask them for their supervisor.
    Sound system wise, I'm no purist, & I was really very impressed with the sound from the Panasonic, which has DTS etc, - for me it's good enough without seperates - several friends have commented on how good the sound is - I just hope the Philips is as good, (I think it also has DTS etc), as I think thats the way I will go, after a little more research.
    Good luck in your quest.....