Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Choosing correct Aerial, advice needed!

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Jpfahy, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Jpfahy

Jpfahy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm hoping some of you knowledable folk here can offer some advice. :eek:
    Can the Digital TV Reception Predictor can be trusted to give accurate results for UHF transmissions?

The reason I ask is I'm going to fit an aerial sometime this week and want to make sure I order the correct one beforehand. I understand that getting a specific band works better as it ignores background frequencies and concentrates on the ones from your transmitter?
    The Crystal Palace Transmitter seems to be ranged between 22-34UHF so Band A sounds right, right?

On top of this, I need to make allowance for splitting the signal to 4 Television sets so will I need to use a mast head amp with the associated Splitter/power supply?
    The predictor does recommend an Amplified High Gain Aerial for the postcode, so I also needed to know which Aerial would do the job?
    There seem to be a lot of log periodic and small element aerials on surrounding rooftops so I presume this means the signal is pretty good in the area, the current Aerial is mounted on the fascia board and gives between 30%-60% on the Freeview box signal strength meter. So definitely room for improvement....

Any advice would be much appreciated ;)

2. Jpfahy

Jpfahy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Richard,
    Thanks for the links! :smashin:
    There is no amplification on the existing aerial, just 1 metal splitter (taped together with insulation tape) and about 30m of brown coax cable, trailing all over the place. All the channels are there too with only the odd 'high pitched noise' interfering on the sound.
    I guess that Triax one looks like my best bet (minus the masthead amplifier).
    What kind of fixings would you recommend for mounting that aerial to a chimney (3 bed semi-detached)?

3. Jpfahy

Jpfahy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again for the advice Richard :smashin:
    I'll let you know how it goes

4. gogsboy

gogsboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I wondered if you could give me some advice on choosing the correct aerial etc.

Is it vital to obtain info about your transmitter before making a choice and if so what is it that is important.

There are people in my area who have paid companies around £80 -£130 for their aerials/labour and apparently its a weak area.

Anyway I purchased a digi box today and get a picture with one of the old aerials (one with red bit on the end) and its only mounted in the loft.

The majority of the channels are fine, some don't have full signal, C5 being one of them.

If I upgrade the aerial is it essential I mount it outside and could you reccomend one.

Any info would be helpful as you can tell I am far from an expert in this field.

5. richardys

richardys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In some cases yes, for instance if you are getting your signal from Crystal Palace you will require an A group aerial. Most people will opt for a Wideband aerial.

I would say that price is expected for a medium strength area.

The red bit on the end normally indicates an A Group aerial.

You will always get a better signal outside.

If you want to keep it in the loft then I would suggest getting a high gain aerial and installing that with an amplifier in the loft.

6. gogsboy

gogsboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, my signal is coming from Durris, what do I need to look for when choosing the correct aerial.

Here is the link for Durris -

http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/coverage_retailer.pl?postcode=AB228GJ

With regards to the aerial I am currently using with the red bit in the end, its very old, nothing fancy and one of the places I called for a quote told me it would be totally useless as it wasn't even designed for picking up CH5, however I do pick up CH5 but its not the same quality of 1,2,3 and 4.

Could you recommend an aerial for that transmitter and can you buy any old mounting kit or are certain ones for certain types of aerial.

Also unsure of what cable to use, some say just standard co-ax, have heard you can also use satellite cable, is this correct.

If I was to mount a new aerial and use one of the triangle splitters to feed two sets, does that mean you only get half the strength or just you might lose a little quality.

Thanks