1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choosing compact camera

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by CosmoKramer79, Apr 12, 2005.

1. CosmoKramer79

CosmoKramer79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there everybody, I'm a newbie to this forum :hiya: and need some advice before I shop for a compact digital camera.

I've narrowed the field down to three models from different manufactorers: Sony DCS-P200 (versatile in every aspect), Olympus Camedia C-70 Zoom (has an advantage in optical zoom) and finally Canon Digital Ixus 700
    (in my opinion the best design of the lot).

They all have a relatively high resolution just about seven megapixels and a seemingly vast variety of features... But what to look out for?
    Has anybody got experiences with any of the three cameras, eg. a link to a comparison? Have I left any alternatives out of the equasion?

Any advice regarding pros and cons to these cameras will be appreciated!!!

2. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Welcome to the forum. I would have a look at the Canon S70 as well. Find the cheapest price and ask Jessops to price match it. Have a look on www.pricerunner.com

ASH1

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Dammit, there's a 700 now ? I only got the 500 about six months ago, after owning the Ixus II. For such a small camera, the results are great, and the new silver ceramic case is stunning ! The only downside that I can think of is that it uses a Canon special battery, which can be expensive to buy.

4. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The 700 as the same chip as the 350 and 20D (Digic ll) that's quite impressive. My fav compact of them all though is still the S70.

If you're talking a bout zooms ect it would have to be the panasonic Fz range

5. CosmoKramer79

CosmoKramer79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What I'm looking for has to be compact and with a broad range of features, so I think I'll have to go with the Canon. As to optical zoom, I dont think its so important - for my amateur use anyhow, when you consider the 7,1m pixels there can be performed a lot of digital processing with software and without ruining the picture.

How much is the price difference between batteries from Canon and the ones used in Olympus and Sony?

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I think the genuine Canon ones are about £30, but you can get copies for about £5 from Hong Kong on Ebay. Don't know how much the others are.

7. miniman

miniman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Cosmo If you buy the ixus 700 can you post a short review? as I am looking at buying my first digital camera soon. Thanks Mark

8. nabby

nabby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,442
    I got a DSC-P200 recently and took it on a trip to New York last month. I think it's great for the size and price. I've heard some people say the flash is too weak but I've not had problems with any indoor shots I've taken. I also bought the adaptor to enable the attachment of 30mm thread filters and a 0.45 wide angle lens to give me greater flexibility. It also has one of the quickest power-up and ready-to-shoot times I've seen a compact camera. The Carl Zeiss lens is of high quality, the LCD screen is clear enough although like almost all of them, suffers in very bright conditions. The other big selling point for me was that it has a separate optical viewfinder - I find it makes for much more stable shots although I realise that the LCD gives a slightly more accurate indication of what the camera is going to photograph. The battery seems to last forever on one charge too.
    I'll see if I can post some of the photos I took with it when I get home tonight - alternatively if you pm me I'll send you a few by email (as long as you have a fast connection of course!).
    The biggest downside I've come across is the relative cost of memory sticks comapred to other memory like sd and cf cards. I ended up getting a pretty good deal for a 512 MB sandisk one off ebay which cost me £45 plus postage. The next most annoying thing is the the optical zoom being only 3x rather than 5x, but I can live with that until I can afford a digital SLR.

9. matiano

matiano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Of the 3 you mentioned my personal preference would be the Canon. I would not expect much difference in image quality, as you say all the same resolution and the 3 lens qualities are essentially on a par. For me te downside of the Sony is the extra expenses sem to mount up much faster than any other manufacturer, the Olympus is unorthodox to hold and definitely requires a test run before purchase. The Ixus is nice and easy to use (the Canon interface is so much more userfriendy than the Olympus IMO, in fairness the Sony is fairly similar), by far the most attractive (arguably irrelevant) and has the best build quality. However its more expensive than the Sony and the fully manual mode isnt as comprehensive as on the Sony, so its swings and roundabouts!
    As always best to have a handle, from my experience the Canon handles nicely and has enough features and accessibility to be ideal for snapping. If anything 7mp is too much, unless you are printing massive why not consider the IXUS 50, smaller body yet again.

10. CosmoKramer79

CosmoKramer79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, but then again, I don't want the camera to get too small.

I've just been talking to my local photoshop and the salesguy recommended a Samsung Digimax 700, which according to him takes the best photos in an overall assesment. I just think they have a huge disadvantage as to design and materials, it frankly seems to be composed by very low budget plastique. But then again,should it really matter as long as you get the best photos out of it.. :rolleyes: ?

He also said that the Sony is superior to the Canon, though I dont really care for the shape of P200, he then pointed out another Sony, with the same components but a slightly different design: the W17, which has another advantage - using AA batteries. Fortunately I have until May before I decide, so theres still time for several more visit to the photo store!

11. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    As Ash1 and Seany have suggested I would also say to have a look at the Canon S70.

S70 is a great compact camera.

Ixus 700 looks a great spec with Digic 11, but that means the S70 will be replaced soon with something maybe 8 megapixels and Digic 11 I guess.

S70 was on offer at 7dayshop the other week, now gone so maybe something new is on the way soon !

Ixus 700 video quality looks much improved over earlier models.
    maybe thats due to the digic 11.

Have a good look in the shops then ask for a pricematch at Jessops etc.

Good luck !

Mark.

12. hollie.weimeran

hollie.weimeran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What digital camera tested the Olympus C-70 In last months mag. It came out really well apart from having a "lousy" zoom control.

13. CosmoKramer79

CosmoKramer79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although the salesguy applied a fair amount of preassure for me to buy the Samsung Digimax 700, I went with the Canon Digital Ixus 700, mainly because it has got the nicest exterior but also due to its userfriendly interface and Digic II processor.

With an additional SD card of one Gb, a small casing and a spare battery the total price was 5000 dkkr, or just about £448. I know... I know... It can be found alot cheaper, but I simply couldnt resist - and I like the security of having a nearby place to complain in case of malfunction.

First impressions are very good, but when I get around to do some serious testing I'll post a review... Later this summer I'm heading for Rome, which should result in a infinite number of photo opportunities!!!

14. RekalinSimms

RekalinSimms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently purchased a DSC-P200 as well. I have to say that so far, I have been very impressed. It prints well, and is sooo easy to stick in my pocket and take with me wherever I need to go. I'm very pleased with my purchase, so far.