Reaction score
need some advice on soem ampifiers and speakers am interested in

i seem some amplifiers i interested in
i currently have a yamaha RN602 i not like it, sounds to harsh to me
way harsher than a marantz mcr611 i used to like

3 amplifiers i interested in

marantz pm6006
cambridge audio AXR100
NAD C 328 , are these nad good? i dont see any of the big hi fi sites selling this?

want something with better puch (bass) but not overbearing
this yamaha sounds very flat compared to what i had before

which be best amplifier?

want it for music but do good vocals also for movies

also just to say i have dali spektor 2 speakers that i use for my computer audio as my amplifier is connected to a soundcard via optical

i dont feel like the dali speakers the vocals are clear enough for video likes movies, youtube, twitch tv
the voice not seem be out enough

i dont want bright sounding speakers, want more warm

i seen 3 speakers
Mission QX1
Elac b5.2 or 62.2
Fyne audio F301

which of these are more warm sounding and would these be an improvement over my dali spektor 2 speakers?

let me know please

You'd be better of using a pair of active speakers designed for near-field listening. Passive bookshelf speaker either side of a computer monitor are not going to sound good. With actives you won't need an amp, so you could spend a little more money on the actual speakers.

I'm going to tag in a couple guys that could steer you in the right direction because actives are not my thing.

@Ugg10 @Paul7777x

if i got an active speaker i would want its connections to be either

2 optical connections
or 1 usb audio plus 1 optical
also a headphone port

i currenty use a soundbard to connect optical to my ampififer as my computer not have optical

am not sure its best to either get a amplifer like i have now yamaha RN602 plus dali spektor 2 speakers

like i said not sure i like my system so swap it for maybe a cambridger audio AXR100
and maybe change my dali spektor 2 speakers also for something better

for best audio qaulity is it better to have amplifer plus bookshelf speakers

or just to get an active speaker?

what would give the better sound quality?

soz and to ask
active spakers seen smaller so does this not mean they sound worse like less bass etc?
because of there smaller size?

actually i can use my soundcardfor the headphone if speaker not have it

am confused if active speakers be better cos i dont see many with 2 optical or 1 optical plus 1 usb

just seen a whafedale and dali active there lacking the extra connections an amplifier can give me

No idea of your budget but what @Hixs was suggesting is a pair of active monitor speakers designed to be used at close distances. These tend to be designed to produce a neutral clear sound and have built in amplifiers so only need a preamp or dac to run them.

Your spektors have 5.25” woofers and ar3 rated at 55hz so are not going to produce much bass.

If I were starting from scratch then using your pc/tv as your main source then I would look at second hand gear, something like -

Low end using you pc to control volume -

Smsl m3 dac with headphone output £60
SMSL M3 USB Powered Audio Decoder - Black 744759563620 | eBay

M Audio bx8 d3 £240 - but if you have a small room these may overpower it very quickly.

Midrange - using a dac with a volume control/variable output to reduce digital volume bit reduction that can occur in pcs -

Dacmagic plus £150

Dynaudio BM5 mk3 - there are others cheaper but around the £500 used is close to average.

Then from there the worlds your oyster -

Benchmark dac c.£450-600

Focal shape twin £1150 -

However, the other thing you could try is to add a small subwoofer like the BK Gemini which will fill in the bass but may also help that vocal midrange, tweaking the treble on the rn602 may also help.

Finally, if your room is square and has hard floor and not a lot of furnishings then this may be the cause of the brightness.

Just a few thoughts.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
people have suggested to me the yamaha RN602 sound is better than the marantz mcr611 this correct?
also are cambridge good because i see alot more forums that talk about marantz, yamaha, denon

not so much on cambridge
would a cambrige AXR100 be better sound than a yamaha RN602?
i find the yamaha to be harsh, this may mean very bright if others agree?

would cambridge be less harsh?
marantz may have a more warm sound not have the features i want

i like a amplifier to have abit of punch to it bass not be totally flat

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom