1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choosing between: LC32GA3E, 32WL46/8, 32PF9956

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by simone, Oct 17, 2004.

1. simone

simone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking for a new LCD screen but I have a restriction of it being max 80cm (84cm at a push) wide. So far I've found the following contenders:

Sharp LC32GA3E
    Tosh 32WL46
    Tosh 32WL48
    Phillips 32PF9956

I've seen the Sharp and the Tosh WL46 in a shop and the Sharp screen looked really good compared to everything else - the Tosh had a very poor feed so it was hard to compare it.

Can anyone advise me? The Tosh screens are quite a bit cheaper but the new 48 has HDMI, the Sharp only had DVI and the Phillips has HDMI but seems quite restricted on the resolutions it can display compared to the PF9986 (which looks lovely but is too wide).

Any help much appreciated. I guess I'm leaning towards the Sharp unless any of you out there think the PQ of the Toshes is much the same...

Thanks,

Simon.

2. Mike246

Mike246

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Simon,

As you may see from my thread I took delivery of my Tosh 32WL48 yesteday.

No negative comments but am trying to get my UHF/Scart systems organised to do it justice - on UHF it is intolerent of a weak signal. I also have a space issue as the set fits within a cabinet. The Tosh is 810 mm wide so you are just OK.

The 32WL48 has one benefit over the others, I think. The pixels are 10mS response time so there is no motion blurring. Also consider that the stand sets the set back six inches or so which I had not really anticiapted!

Regarding HDMI, I guess it is the coming thing but I am not aware of any current peripheral which can provide material to it.

Also, there is a supply issue. I got mine from Unbeatable at £1299 and I am unaware of any other source who can actually supply stock. Unbeatable proved most efficient to deal with.

If you are considering the Sharp, try to view both connected to a feed (UHF or Scart) which you are likely to use.

3. simone

simone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mike,

Very interested in your impressions of the WL48 - I guess we should not overlap with your thread devoted to this but if it is a 10ms panel then it clearly is very different to the WL46.

I was planning on wall mounting the screen so stand should not be an issue.

You can get HDMI DVD players I think?

I guess I need to see this set side by side with the Sharp then. It is certainly a lot cheaper.

Simon.

4. Mike246

Mike246

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Simon,

My Sony DVD player is fine but would consider upgrading it to HDMI if suitable DVDs were available.

My second choice would have been the Sharp, particularly as they now have a bottom speaker model and integrated the tuner. Like you, space is a problem.

You do need to see the two sets working together, which is tough as nobody will be showing the 32WL48 yet. John Lewis will certainly be the first. Don't know where you are but there is a shop in Hatfield where you can see the Sharp and the 32WL46 together.

5. simone

simone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in London so a trip down to John Lewis is clearly the way to see the 48. Hopefully they have the Sharps there too.

A friend of mine here bought a 42" plasma with HDMI and a HDMI DVD and he says the difference in playing just normal DVDs was stunning - so might be worth checking it out. I guess it is probably like the difference between a DVI-D cennection to an LCD monitor and a normal analogue signal in - the difference is huge because there is no digital->analogue->digital converstion going on.

Simon.