1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choosing between integrateds

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Sab, Jun 25, 2004.

1. Sab

Sab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I have got to choose between the Arcam AVR 300, Denon 3805 and Pioneer AX5i. My DVD player is the Pioneer 757 Ai.

Which do you think would be best for both movies and music?

I am interested by the AX5i as it has the i-link and I would be able to send the CD, DVD, DVD audio/ SACD through this and this would be better than via analogue means.It also has lots of features and is the only one that is THX Select (with THX Surround EX)

All seem to have good reviews as well and I rather confused as which one to choose.

I have had a demo the Denon 3805 only and that was good for movies with plenlty of of low level detail. But not so good with music.

Thanks in advance

2. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Everyone is getting seduced by i-link and digital links. Are far as music is concerned many analogue amps sound a lot better than digital ones. The avr300 is definitely the one to beat for music. Really for movies there is little between all of them.

However, at £1300 the price stinks!

3. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

I've got exactly the same dilemma, except i've got an Arcam FMJ A22 to do stereo duties. So to be honest it probably rules out the Arcam as it's more expensive then the others and as i'm using the FMJ for stereo / fronts I don't need the better stereo that I would probably get from the Arcam.

So if you want very good stereo as well from what others have said i'd consider the AVR300.

Now the other two... Well a lot of reviews quite clearly seem to imply well in my opinion that the multi chanel sound formats sound a lot better from devices like the 757Ai when outputted via the Firewire. This leaves only one option if this s especially important. As Denon Link only supports denon players it means the AX5i

Now, I would guess only way of deciding it would be to listen to same SACD or DVD-A on both amps with same speakers but the AX5i using the firewire and the Denon using analogue cables. If the iLink is THAT important then your decision is made if not well then close your eyes and pick :)

Seriously all three of the Amps appear to be a bloody good buy and I would guess it's very much horses for courses. If SACD/DVD-A is the most important thing to you I would guess AX5i , if stereo reproduction then I would think the Arcam AVR300. If it's pretty much 50/50 or slightly weighted to Movies then listen to all three and whatever takes your all round fancy plump for that one. Denon has a head start if iLink and the possible better stereo from the AVR300 don't matter as it's cheaper.

The only drawback the the AX5i is no PL IIx but how much difference the x makes I don't know. PL II sure as hell was way better then PL I but I think if you don't have a 7.1 setup then there isan't much difference between II and IIx, but i'm just guessing here.

Steph

4. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Oh... forgot to mention sold my Marantz last week so have no A/V amp at all at the moment.

Getting a new credit card next week (bad idea I KNOW!!) anyway i've got around £350 cash to play with so if it's a pathetically low amount on the card i'll just get a Yamaha 750 to keep me going for a few months.

If it's larger then i'm truly stuck between the AX5i and Denon want the Arcam really but can't justify it over the others as i've already got stereo sorted.

Alternatively the price they have been going for i'm tempted by a TAG Processor and a Rotel Power Amp.

Steph

5. Sab

Sab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I do actually have a Tag processor at the moment - the AV32R but it cannot do 7.1 or DVD audio/ SACD. So I would have thought that I would benefit from getting an integrated.

However I am still looking for a cheap Rotel poweramp - there maybe a chance there.

6. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    How about getting a 7.1 upgrade for the Tag or selling it to me :) via paypal in a week or so time :)

Cheers

Steph

7. Sab

Sab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Book trunk I would like to sell it to you. It comes with original box and manuals. I have upgraded it with Prologic II and HDCD (also has MPEG 2 option . I would like £900. But I am open to offers and would like to come to some kind of agreement.