Choosing an AVR - Yamaha, Denon, Marantz or something else? **Newbie question**

PFrederiksen

Novice Member
Hi AVforums,
I hope this is the right place to ask, you all seem very capable of helping a newbie out at least.
I'm about to buy a new AVR, my first and current one is an Onkyo TX-NR609, so as you can see it's been a few years. I'm having a hard time deciding which one though, but I'm currently looking at Denon X3700 or X4700, Marantz 6015, or Yamaha RX-A2A. Should I choose any of these or something else entirely?
My setup right now is:
Front is Dali Opticon 6 - Dali Opticon 6
Sub is Dali Sub E-12F - Dali Sub E-12F
I have added links if you need to see what kind of speakers they are. I am also gonna be adding an Opticon center soon and rear speakers shortly after that. My usage is probably 60/40 in movies/music. My budget is no higher than what the X4700H costs in my country, which is around $2000.
I hope you can help me out, thank you.

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
The Yamaha RX-A2A is nothing more than an RX-V6 with an extra foot bolted on it.

I'd probably go with the Marantz SR86015 if I has to, but only if you can tolerate the porthole display?

Do you acrually need HDMI version 2.1? Are you not interested in setting up an Atmos setup?

PFrederiksen

Novice Member
The Yamaha RX-A2A is nothing more than an RX-V6 with an extra foot bolted on it.

I'd probably go with the Marantz SR86015 if I has to, but only if you can tolerate the porthole display?

Do you acrually need HDMI version 2.1? Are you not interested in setting up an Atmos setup?
I don't care how it looks, as it's not out in the open. Regarding Atmos, I don't know really. I currently only got 2.1 and I've had that for quite some time now. Maybe, when we move, I'll be able to go Atmos.
Regarding 2.1, I'm not sure if it's wise not to include it. I'll probably keep my receiver for 5+ years and I want to be able to use 4K/120 Hz when I upgrade my TV.

dante01

Distinguished Member
At this point in time and I'd suggest for some consderable time to come, you'll only really need HDMI version 2.1 if a gamer and with intentions of using one of the next gen games consoles. Bot the XBox series X and the PS5 include HDMI version 2.1 and can output 4K at 120Hz. THese new AV receivers do have serious issues with handling the XBox series X's 4K/120Hz signal though. You'd also need a compliant TV in order to be able to display this video. If not a gamer then I'd not bother about it and wouldn't trouble yourself as to whether or not the AV receiver includes HDMI version 2.1. You're not going to need this for any disc based format, TV broadcasters may adopt it for sports broadcasts, but no time in the foreseeable future plus the fact you'd also need a compliant display even if there were more sources that can output 8K/60Hz and or 4K/120Hz video.

afzal

I've got the AVC-X3700H with 2x Dali Oberon 7, Oberon Vokal, an E-12F (plus 6 Yamaha NS-IC600 for Atmos and surround). So, far I'm very happy with the Denon.
You don't say what you're adding to your current mix, to need a 9.2 receiver. Between the Denon and the Marantz. I'd got for whichever is the cheaper and fits your needs.
If you're more into movies, then the Denon may suit you better than the Marantz, btw.

PFrederiksen

Novice Member
I've read some bad things about the SR6015, so I'm a little bit concerned about choosing Marantz.
Regarding 2.1, I have kids where one of them is a 5 year old. He will be playing consoles soon, that's why I'm talking about getting a receiver with 2.1. Can you even get a new topish receiver today without it?
Is a x3700H powerful enough for my speakers?

afzal

I'm pretty sure the X3700H are powerful enough for your speakers, unless you're looking to setup a nightclub.

PFrederiksen

Novice Member
The Hifi stores I've been talking to in my country, seem a little iffy about if a 3700H is powerful enough. I would prefer to buy the right thing from the start.

afzal

The Opticons are spec'ed for amps in the 25-200w range, with a nominal impedence of 4 ohms. My Oberons are 6 ohm spec'ed for an amp in the 30-180w range. The X3700H delivers 105 per channel at 8 ohms and supports anything in the range of 4-16 ohms. I think you'll be alright with the Denon.

BTW, common practice is NOT to use the 4 ohm setting on the Denon:
"Whether the AVR's high impedance (Z) setting is labelled as 6Ω or 8Ω is irrelevant. The point is NEVER to use the low impedance setting on any AVR, regardless of the nominal impedance of the speakers. It should be set at the higher setting and left there.

This setting has got nothing to do with the nominal impedance of your speakers. In short, what a "Low Z" setting generally does is engage a circuit that significantly limits the output voltage of the AVR. This is soley for the purposes of continuous multichannel high power heat dissipation testing by the electrical product certifiers. In other words, it's actual purpose has nothing to do with real-world usage.

The Low Z mode effectively limits the current available to the speakers, but greatly increases the risk of clipping the amps due to the severely curtailed output. Amplifier clipping is a highly undesirable outcome."

gibbsy

I've read some bad things about the SR6015, so I'm a little bit concerned about choosing Marantz.
Regarding 2.1, I have kids where one of them is a 5 year old. He will be playing consoles soon, that's why I'm talking about getting a receiver with 2.1. Can you even get a new topish receiver today without it?
Is a x3700H powerful enough for my speakers?
Marantz and Denon are owned by Sound United. They share the majority of components. Marantz are considered to be more musical than the Denons.

PFrederiksen

Novice Member
Marantz and Denon are owned by Sound United. They share the majority of components. Marantz are considered to be more musical than the Denons.
I was very interested in Marantz, also because I actually like their design. But I read a review from Audio Science Review stating:
Like clockwork, the performance of Marantz SR7015 tracks other Marantz AVRs we have tested. They take the excellent platform used in Denon sister products, and modify them to produce objectively worse performance by good bit. Distortion is sharply increased and extremely slow DAC filtering causes lots of ultrasonic noise, making any intention of playing "high-res" audio moot. Company feels subjectively the modifications improve the sound of the unit. With no controlled listening test demonstrating that, and measurements showing the opposite, I don't think the changes are wise or merited.

dante01

Distinguished Member
The review is actually based upon graphs and isn't an accurate appraisal of how it sounds. If you are deaf and like looking at graphs then stay clear of the Marantz receiver :lesson:

The Marantz tuning is generally regarded by many to be more sympathetic towards music. Even Sound United's own US rep is of this opinion.

gibbsy

I was very interested in Marantz, also because I actually like their design. But I read a review from Audio Science Review stating:
Like clockwork, the performance of Marantz SR7015 tracks other Marantz AVRs we have tested. They take the excellent platform used in Denon sister products, and modify them to produce objectively worse performance by good bit. Distortion is sharply increased and extremely slow DAC filtering causes lots of ultrasonic noise, making any intention of playing "high-res" audio moot. Company feels subjectively the modifications improve the sound of the unit. With no controlled listening test demonstrating that, and measurements showing the opposite, I don't think the changes are wise or merited.
People put perhaps too much faith the ASR reviews. Done under laboratory conditions and scientific instruments it's highly unlikely that you will hear any difference and I'd rather go by real world reviews. I'm more than happy with the performance of my Denon X6500 with film and TV, it's very fast with a great sense of depth and object placement and I'm on my fifth Denon AV product.

Denon's Achille's Heel is it's stereo music performance and it's here that the Marantz have the edge because of their HDAM circuitry that is tuned better for stereo music. It's better but still not great. If I were looking for a one box solution for both film and music then the choice would fall on Marantz. ASR hasn't done a forensic test of the X6500, not that I'd worry if they did.

PFrederiksen

Novice Member
That might be, I can't say yes or no to that. I can't listen to any of the AVRs for the next month or 2, as Denmark has closed down until then and all our stores are closed.
I think it's incredibly hard to choose an AVR today. My initial thought was to choose Yamaha because I really liked their design and their app is supposed to be really good. But it doesn't seem that the RX-A2A justifies its price and the V6A is supposedly not powerful enough.
I'm incredibly torn :D

The latest video from AVForums

LG C1 OLED TV Best Picture Settings for SDR, HDR and Dolby Vision
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom