1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choosing a sub for my smallish room...

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Hikikomori, Jul 11, 2003.

1. Hikikomori

Hikikomori
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What size sub would I need for a 9' x 12' bedroom (carpeted wooden floor) setup?

I'm currently using an old Yamaha YST-SW160 and am not that impressed tbh. It sounds a bit boomy and the bass is way too loose, is it the sub or the relatively small room?
    I say the sub isn't up to much...

I guess I'd need a front firing one due to it being up stairs?

Do I need something overkill or not (i.e ~10" driver be good enough). I like loads of bass though (probably why I don't like my Yamaha much, way too light for my liking...).

Would something like the CHT-10 be overkill? (heard they're good for the money). Totally wouldn't mind paying upto £350 for a sub.

My system (60% music use) -

Yamaha DSP-AX630
    Yamaha NS-200 front
    Yamaha NS-100 surrounds

The main reason I'm looking into replacing it is I just bought some 5.1 THX certified PC speakers and the bass from the sub blows my big Yammy out the water :eek:

2. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    My Lounge is only 15Ft x 12Ft and is therefore fairly small. I have a CHT-10 which fits into my room well. It's not boomy atall and would complement your set up well.
    I'm not familiar with your current sub but you might like to try repositioning it and/or setting it up with an spl to integrate into your other speakers. I wouldn't think the cht-10 would be overkill but it might be worth checking out it's smaller brother the vx-10 (£199 I think).

3. Hikikomori

Hikikomori
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Here's a review of my current 3 year old sub - YST-SW160

I've got it up the corner because there's no where else for it (the thing is way too tall and ugly, the manual says place it in a corner anyway...).

The VX-10 does look good for the cheap price, but would it cope ok with constant loud volumes? I paid £240 for my Yammy 3 years ago :laugh:
    tbh I'm not too sure if I've got the space for the CHT-10, it'd have to go in the corner, but it's deeper than my speakers so it'd be in front of my main left...
    I want something with balls because I think the room is pretty bass light (normal speakers on their own produce little to no bass :confused: that's why I bought the Yammy), probably because the rear being a partition cavity wall?

4. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    My CHT-10 can remove your fillings if your not carefull. If you've got the money I'd go for it. Your not going to get anything better for the money imo. I've heard the Rel quake in comparison which is a smaller compact sub but not as good (imo) and costs more money.
    I'd wing it over to uncle eric on the power buy's - just read the v. long thread if you need anymore convincing of the subwoofers merits.

5. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I've not heard the Velo but a few years ago, over a weekend, I played a £200 Yamaha sub off against the similarly priced Paradigm PS1000. I bought the PS1000 it was a lot better... if bigger. I also sold the Paradigm 2 years later for £20 :D less than I paid for it. I don't think could have done that with the Yamaha.

6. Hikikomori

Hikikomori
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah this Yamaha seems a bit limp...
    Anyway over the weekend I repositioned it (dragged it out the corner). It doesn't boom so much now, but it still lacks kick and power, at higher volumes it starts to flatulate (farty type bass) :laugh:

Is the CHT-10 too big though? It's well with-in my budget (more than I paid for my amp though :blush: ), just don't want something too big for the job.
    My set-up is in a 9' x 12' bedroom (using the 12' as the width). My current crappy Yamaha is only just over 5' away from the listening area (I don't feel any wind or rumbling from it though like I do with my PC THX one), the Velo would be going in the same place, 5' away enough of a distance?

7. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    the cht-10 dimensions are 17"x16"x15" (lxwxh). In my room I'm sitting about 9 Ft away and it seems fine while listening to sound tracks at distances less than that. You don't tend to hear the sub it's more of an overall feel and presence felt rather than an audible sound (if you get my meaning.) How far from Aldershot are you? Your quite welcome to have a listen to mine if you want. I'm sure there someone probably a bit nearer though.

8. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    That happened to me too. I thought I'd broken it and I didn't own it :rolleyes:

Size limits positioning opions, like my SVS can't go under the PJ screen as it covers some of the picture. I don't see how the pysical size of the sub can damage it's sound within the room though.