Choosing a replacement TV from John Lewis

starosta

Standard Member
Hey all,
My previous TV was taken for repair, but the parts are unavailable so JL offered a replacement, but I want to upgrade and am looking at £1000-£1400 range for a 55". I've been back and forth and can't make a decision. Sadly all 2020 models are no longer in stock.
So I've been looking at:
£1K models: LG 55NANO916PA and Samsung QE55Q80A
£1.2K models: Sony XR55X90J, LG OLED55B16LA and Samsung QE55QN90A (after £200 cashback from Samsung)
£1.4K models: LG OLED55C14LB and LG 55NANO966PA

The TV will be on a wall in a bright room, I want the best out of my PS5, Sky F1 and streaming movies and shows on Netflix, Amazon Prime and Disney+, and I would like to have at least two HDMI 2.1.
Is the fact that Samsung aren't DV certified a hinder, especially for the future?
Is there a big enough quality jump between those 3 tiers to justify higher price? If it's "future-proofing" then I'm happy to bear the cost.
Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated. I haven't slept much over the last few days trying to make a decision, and now I'm completely lost.
THANKS!

tvdavid

Samsung QE55QN90A prob the best to get. or the LG C1

tvdavid

Just need to decide which is better for you in a bright room. but I am pretty happy with my CX.

tvdavid

the C1 will give you 100% Viewing angle to.

Dodgexander

Bad timing to be getting a replacement unfortunately, JL are full of 2021 models that haven't long been released and are overpriced, whilst good value 2020 stock has all but disappeared. Hard to recommend any given the prices they have at the moment.

If you have no choice and have to settle for paying the extra, from your list you should choose between the LG C1 OLED and Samsung QN90A, weigh up the differences between LCD and OLED tech and take your choice from there.

starosta

Standard Member
Thanks a lot guys.
I've noticed that it's pretty unfortunate timing, but there's not much I can do right now after they took the old TV already.
I will get some pros and cons for both and try to make the call.

starosta

Standard Member
In the end I think I will settle with Samsung. Mostly because the living room is a really bright room with a lot of direct and indirect sunlight throughout the day. LG OLED is dimmer than my previous Samsung LCD and we were struggling with it already.
The last thing that is on my mind is the Dolby Vision. HDR, especially netflix, looks fenomenal on OLED. Will HDR10+ be enough just to keep the samsung satisfying enough?

starosta

Standard Member
Thank Dodgexander for calming my anxieties ;)
I will try to have a look at LG tomorrow in JL store and if it's as dark as I imagine I will go for Samsung.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom