Choosing a REL - Splitting hairs

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Adam_W, Jan 31, 2001.

1. Adam_W

Adam_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's the quandry - I've heard it repeated a million times on this board!

Is it a REL Strata III ex demo model from Seven Oaks, cherry wood finish, 3 months warranty at a price around £400-500? A REL Q201E, wood finish, £499 brand new with 3 years warranty? Or even the REL Q100E, black finish, £349 brand new with full warranty? (the Q models aren't from Seven Oaks)

This sub is going to be primarily for home cinema (and a bit of music) with my B&W 600 series speakers. However, this year I'm in a small room in student accomodation - these good deals are over soon so I'm looking to get a sub now and change rooms in the flat from my 9' x 14' to a larger more rectangular room.

A perplexed, but itching to spend student

Adam

P.S. Just remembered this! REL Q201E web site states bottom of frequency range starts at 25Hz but the brochure I got today says 18Hz. Anyone know which is true? 18Hz would be amazing, rattle the china and thrash the new B&W ASW-2500.

[This message has been edited by Adam_W (edited 31-01-2001).]

2. Spaceman

Spaceman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd buy a Strata III definitely. It goes deeper and the 100W is really plenty of power. I've heard this sub in a homecinema setup as well as a music setup. Even my friends mouth opened up, and he's got a 350W sub. [​IMG]

The REL Q201E does 25Hz at -6dB. It does produce 18Hz but barely noticable. The StrataIII does 20Hz at -6dB.

3. HT Dude

HT Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Adam - the REL website is out of date and in need of an overhaul. Some newer models are not mentioned.
    This is apparently in the pipeline.
    I would believe the brochure.