1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choosing a quality small sub....help?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Zak, Jul 4, 2003.

1. Zak

Zak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Although this is my 1st post i've been a regular browser of these forums for the last 6-7 months. I've recently upgraded my av amp from an Arcam AVR -100 to a Denon 3803 and has made a massive inprovement. Also upgraded Arcam DV88 to DV89, and recently purchased Panny TH37-PW5. I blame all you guys on these forums for giving me "upgradeitus" but the help I have gained here has been most appreciated!

I'm a bit stuck now for my next upgrade....the sub, MK VX-7.
    The room is fairly small....14ft X 14ft and wont take anything too big. Maybe what I have is good enough...I dont know....I just feel bass response could be better. I've demo'd the MK MX-700 and wasn't impressed by either the price of £1650 or the improvement it made to my system. The Velo HGS-12 is small enough (size wise) for my room but don't know whether this would be too overpowering or an improvement or not. Is it still available now that the DD drives are out?

I'm limited in positioning the sub due to room size and it will only go in one spare corner of the room and cannot measure more than 18"X16"X16" (H X W X D)

Any advice, suggestions or alternatives are welcomed.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The Velodyne SPL800 is a good subwoofer at £775 (Powerbuy price) and will fit into your space easily.

Personally, I wouldn't spend any more as there doesn't seem to be much point pairing a premiership subwoofer with first division speakers.

As an ex owner of the Def Tech Pro Cinema speakers, I like them but I don't see a great deal of point in pairing an HGS subwoofer (even if it does fit) with main speakers that are essentially compromised due to their size.

I upgraded the other way round from you by buying better speakers for the front three first then tackling the subwoofer issue.

3. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    B&W ASW675!

Superb quality sub, small and looks nice!

4. Zak

Zak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the ideas,

"main speakers that are essentially compromised due to their size"

... and for being tactful!

Ideally I need a big new house then can get some nice big speakers to fill the nice big living room....but realisticaly I live in a tiny cottage in the sticks with a tiny cupboard for a lounge (1400cu ft) with tiny speakers....life is full of compromises.

But hey you have a point....and I think I ought to look around for better main speakers first but can only accomadate satellites or small bookshelfs. Any ideas? I had thought 'bout the M&K K-7's but these are classed as their entry level system speakers....would this be 1st division or premier?

I've checked out reviews of both SPL800 & ASW675 subs and would appear to suit my tiny requirements.

BTW Forgot to mention I'm also a midget
    Just kidding.

5. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went for the B&W VM1's to go with the ASW675 and the sound is superb. They go on the wall with brackets and look nice and sound great.

There will always be an element of compromise with these type of speakers but tbh I spent ages demo'ing all the different options available and this is what I liked for both sound and looks.

Go and have a look/listen would be my advice!

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    They are both excellent subs and either should fulfil your purpose. If space is such a problem I would be careful upgrading your main speakers as satellites perform of their best when on decent solid stands so if you do not have the space for the stands you may be better off keeping what you have.

I wouldn't think of changing your Def Techs for any other small satellites as IMO they are the best in the class.

Another alternative is to do what I did and upgrade the front three (to M&K on stands) and leave small sats at the rear