Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Choosing a DVD player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by tan1415, Jan 6, 2001.

1. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Hope you can help me with choosing my DVD player.
    I have narrowed my choices to the pioneer 535 and the tosh sd 100e.
    535 has the upside because it's able to play CDR unlike the Tosh. (is this correct)

the thing i don't like about the pioneer is that it's TOO plasticky. All the internal parts in the Pioneer is made from plastic.

Both will be regionfree, so i'll be able to play DVDs from all regions. But will i have problem with RCE?
    RCE is a protection system right?

Well hope someone can help me out. MAybe tell where i can find some reviews.
    And recommendations on different DvDplayers are welcome.

Daniel T.

2. Jay2000

Jay2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When you say 'region free', do you mean a player set to region 0 or will it have the ability to be set to a specific region?

You may have problems playing RCE encoded titles if your player is a 'region 0' machine.

Buy from somewhere like www.techtronics.com whose multi-mods are usually manual switching capable.

3. clone

clone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The multiregion Pioneer 535 should have no problems playing RCE discs as there is a manual region select option.Yes it also plays CDRs.
    The Toshiba SD100E has better picture quality,but it is automatic region select only.This means its one of the few players that has trouble with RCE discs (though there are work-arounds to get them to play).The tosh also does not play CDRs.Please not that there are currently only 3 RCE discs.

These 2 players (or the Pioneer 530) are the current best buys for under £200.Buy either of them and you won't be dissapointed.

4. Napoleon

Napoleon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Tan,
    I own a chipped Toshiba Sd100,and it plays as well as anything could.It is ultra quiet,and detail is awesome.The RCE issue is not too much of a problem as has already been mentioned in a reply to you.I just make sure that i buy the films i want today,in case they are released later on with RCE .
    RCE can be got round but it would be annoying.The SD100 also has the best picture zoom around;it can zoom a 2:35:1 ratio with
    no obvious distortion.
    Best wishes.

5. Greyhound

Greyhound
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Pioneer 636 only has one search speed which is supposed to be puny. As this is the next model up does anyone know if the 535 is the same?

6. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

i think that trickplays are one of the major critiques on pioneer.
    It's pretty poor in that area.
    But to tell you the truth i thought that the 636 was better equipped in this area.

There's a major sale on a pioneer 626.
    Around 250 pounds.
    Right now i am not sure which to choose.
    Either the 535 or the more expensive 626.

7. Greyhound

Greyhound
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The reviews I've read seem to give the 626 just that little bit over the 525 so it may be the same with the 535. Someone responded to my post about Pioneer players warning about the 636 (the 626 replacement) not supporting video pass through on the two scart sockets. I'm not sure if this will be the same on the two models your interested in, so it may be worth while checking it out if you decide to buy and its something that you need.

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You mention the manual select for regions on the DV535, I have a multiregion one and recently played a R1 disc, I firstly set the region code to 1 and put the disc in, everything worked ok. Being curious I decided to try a R2 disc, this worked fine as well. I then change the setting back to R2. Obviously the R2 disc worked fine, I then tried the R1 disc again and this worked fine as well. Does this mean I have a region 0 player or is it that the player auto selects the region when you put the disc in. I have noticed the player beeps when a disc is put in, once for R1 and twice for R2 or so it seems, also the instruction sheet that tells you how to access the region menu says "you may need to manually select the region for new releases such as ..."

Any ideas?