1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choosing a digital camera

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Gemz1982, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Gemz1982

Gemz1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what to look for when buying a digital camera.
    I use to have a Fuji F410, but i sold it, it was a really good little camera think the optical and digital zooms were 3 mp each, but i sold it to wait to buy a better one. But was thinking what is actually better as it did the job. Im not up on digital cameras so dont know what to look for mega pixel wise, zoom wise extra, i went for the last one because of the look of it.
    Are the dear ones not always the ones to do for, was 3 mp enough for just amature use??
    Thanks

2. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Really is such a vast amount of choice in digitam cameras. Could you give us some idea for your Budget?

There's Amertures with grands worth of gear. Don't get caught up in mp there is much more to a camera. Basically the hole should be greater then the sum of it's parts

For a really good, compact that i'm sure you'd get a great deal for look at the IXUS 700 if it's in your budget

There's also the fantastic canon s70 which in my opinion is the best compact on the market, has a a great mix of auto and manual modes for if you want to learn more

But you really are spoilt for choice

give us some idea of what your budget is and we can help further

3. Gemz1982

Gemz1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for you help matey.

My budget is no more then £200

So what sort of things do you look at, what about the optical and digital zooms??

What do you mean by the hole should be greater then the sum of its parts, basically that the quality etc of the lense etc is what to go for??

Both those cameras look really good, but I don’t understand any of the specs

4. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Forget digital zoom, you want at least 3x optical zoom and that's pretty much standard. You simply want to look at the Ixus range.

I take it you want something that'll fit in your pocket?

Those cameras are over budget, but look at some of the other ixus's like the 50 40 and 30 here http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/

Simple to use and take great photos

5. Gemz1982

Gemz1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    are the 50, 40 and 30...... 500, ??? and 430..... couldnt tell.

I apreciate you giving me the ranges you have but please could you tell me a little more back ground info to digital cameras.

I will defo be looking at the IXUS 700 and Canon s70, thanks to your help.

Many thanks

6. njp

njp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +169
    Canon do this annoying thing of calling their cameras by different names depending on where they are selling them. The Ixus 50 is also known as the Powershot SD400, for example. I'd happily recommend this, having recently bought one myself. However, although it is only marginally above your budget (if you buy from the right source!), you need to bear in mind that the supplied 16MB SD card is completely useless (all manufacturers do this!) so you also need to budget for a sensibly sized one. And you might also want a spare battery so you aren't caught with a flat one. Minimum additional cost is therefore say £10 for a 128MB SD (but bigger is better). A spare battery (genuine Canon) would add a further £25.

As for additional info, what do you need to know? As already stated, you should completely disregard any digital zoom specifications (and switch it off in the camera settings!). I went for the IXUS 50 because I wanted an ultra-compact, good quality still images, a good video mode, a reasonable optical zoom, decent macro performance, an AF assist light for focussing in low light (something my previous camera, a Pentax Optio, was hopeless at) and all-round general high-tech loveliness... Oh, and I wanted it to switch on *fast* and respond quickly. My previous camera was so slow to start I sometimes inadvertently switched it back off before the lens had even appeared, thinking I must have failed to press the 'on' button!

If you don't need such a small camera you could save money by getting a compact rather than an ultra-compact. I don't have any specific recommendations (my own research concentrated on my own requirements!), but if you think about what you actually want/need, I'm sure others will be able to help.

7. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm afraid you really do need to do some research yourself it's the best way to learn. That's the best way for us all to help you. We need to find out what you expect from your camera then we can point you to the right one.

Things to think about.

Full auto: This is pretty much where the camera does everything for you.

Full auto along with manual control: This is the best option, but only if you want to learn more. It gives you more control over your images. The S70 has the best of both worlds so you can use the auto functions until you understand more about how your camera works, you can then try manual.

S70 is over your budget but a fantastic camera.

We can't tell you what you need, you have to do the research and think about what spec you want. Then you'll get a better answer

Mean time read the reviews of the cameras i shown you. The ixus 50 (sd400 in the states) http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/sd400.html

The canon S70
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/s70.html

The Ixus 700 (SD500 in the states) http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/sd500.html

8. Gemz1982

Gemz1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was looking at the IXUS 40 yesterday, 4mp, is this also know as something else, I asked the guy in the shop and he said SD400.

I also looked at the 50 although not with it working as it want charged up, a bit inconvenient. The 50 and 40 are exactly the same its just one is 5mp and the other is 4mp. The look really smart.

Iare these known as ‘ultra compact’ as you mentioned. What is a compact, is it bigger, not as ‘ compact’ should I put it, ha ha.

What is optical zoom?? Can you switch this off like you said you could the digital. What does the optical zoom contribute to quality of picture etc

9. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Come on now do some research:laugh:

Optical is the lens, digital is just software. You control how much zoom you want to use normally on a digital camera which normally has a range of 35-100 mm

Compact is something that's still small enough to fit in your pocket, ultra is just smaller

10. Gemz1982

Gemz1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what i understand so far is that the Ixus 50 is also known as the powershot Ixus SD400

The Ixus 500 is now discontiued, but you can still get hold of it, though i do not know what has replaced it.

The IXUS 500 is £240
    The IXUS 50 is £220
    and the IXUS 700 is £289

I have compared the three and the IXUS 700 and IXUS 50 have very similar specifications and the 50 is the odd one out. Though the 500 is dearer then the 50 although the 50s specs are mostly the same as the 700

Confusing

11. miniman

miniman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have just bought the Ixus 700, which is my first digital camera and I can't recommend it enough. Its a great point and shoot camera, small but easy to use. Hope this helps. Mark

12. MattB1

MattB1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Ixus range are exellent cameras and if you are after something small then you could do a lot worse.
    Alternatively there are other excellent cameras for under £200. I use an Olympus C765 which is an excellent mid range Ultrazoom. You can get it's bigger brother (the C770) here for £179.99 which is an excellent price. It's not the easiest compact to use in the world but given a bit of practice you can get excellent results. The Canon A85 would also be an excellent choice, although it is only 3X optical zoom.

If size is an issue go for an Ixus. If not and you want a few more features like big zoom you could look at the Olymppus C765, Olympus C770, Panasonic FZ3 (if you can still get hold of one).