1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choosing a 32" 100Hz widescreen

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Chester, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Chester

Chester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +258
    I should have chosen a better thread subject in my original post!

I'm looking to go from my 24" JVC to a 32" and wondered if any of these were worth the money/which one's best:

Panasonic TX-32PS12 (but I think this'll get boo'd off stage)

JVC AV-32X37 (got a half 'n' half review, but is it any good in real life?)

Sony KV-32FX68 (some of you have suggested this as a safe Sony)

Philips 32PW9527 (and some of you have announced the dreaded Panny demon hits the factory at Philips with this one, sometimes!?!)

I'm open to further suggestions. Budget's about £800. Nicam stereo is plenty as I have a full 5.1 rig. If there is a concensous to spend more money because £800 is going to buy me a pile of poo, how about the Loewe Aventos? What do you think?

Original thread is here. Thanks very much in advance ;)

2. hmsq

hmsq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Well I had the same problems as you trying to buy a 32" telly so after all i went for the Sony KV-32FX68 but after i read that it was going to be taken out and replaced by SONY KV32FQ70 i went for that one!
    I orded it on tuesday from TotalDigital still haven't received it it cost me £889 inc delivery! So as you can see i put it down to the sony you can go for the fx68 as it is good but did not have the extras that i wanted like PIP but if my bro did not want that that would be the sony i was going for, it had a lovely picture when i saw it being demo to me!
    I swear choosing a telly is harder then choosign a gf LOL

3. Chester

Chester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +258
    I went for the Loewe 3981ZWP

Well, what can I say; I guess I had a bit of luck on my side, and whilst doing some investigative work in John Lewis and Sevenoaks (both in Peterborough), I managed to find an ex-demo 3981ZWP. I know the guys and gals in Sevenoaks and also know that this particular set hadn't had much use. All are switched off when not being demonstrated, so as near as dammit new, and with the full 2 years warranty.

But lets look at the competition for a second. My better half has got to live with the looks at the end of the day; the FX68 and PS12 don't exactly inspire in the cosmetic department. The PD30 looks pretty cool, but the Aventos wins with subtle, comfortable albeit a little bland plastics. Contempary is the word I think.

There's a shortfall in the Aventos technical department: a lack of Progessive Scan, but take a look around for a second. Are you seriously going to notice the difference on a 32"? I can see the difference on a 42" plasma (between RGB and PS), but I've got to be studying real hard to see anything at all on a 32" CRT, or in other words, the lack of PS on the Aventos means nothing. This may open a technical debate for some, but the object of the exercise is to get a TV that myself and my better half can be proud of for 5/6 years.

In terms of picture quality, I found some remarkable results. I thought the PS12 looks better than the PD30 whilst watching Sky (which I do). The PD30 grabs too much of the dark colour palette in processes it as black, making contrasts rediculous. Colours looked a little harsh too, but this would be more of a duff set-up thing rather than a fault of the set. The PS12 on the other hand looked a little grainy, as did the FX68, but that's probably more to do with lower grade signals going to these sets. It still didn't inspire. The Aventos on the other hand isn't anywhere near as digitally harsh as the PD30 and manages a real convincing colour balance. Geometry is good too (I can notice on test DVDs that there is some very slight vertical bending, but this is no way noticeable from any real life source, no matter what the content).

I didn't manage to test sound in JL, but the PD30 is reasonable. Same with the Aventos, I don't think it's the best thing since sliced bread (I don't think you can beat the external speakers on Toshiba sets of old, although this adds to width in a huge way), but it's fine for dialogue and theme tunes, etc. Sound staging is quite impressive mind, but I wouldn't use it for stereo DVD playback, or even Dolby Digital with the right upgrades inside and to complement the Aventos.

The thing that really struck me the most was watching Toy Story. I can see depth and textures (in conjunction with my Pioneer DV-454) that would normally be available on a 42" plasma, but not necessarily a 32" CRT, even of this calibre. Well it's there all right! The big wow factor doesn't come in until Blade is viewed (Reg. 1). Fast pace action doesn't lose speed, dark shades are present and don't blend with black. There's a lot of flurescent lighting and reds in the film, and they seem very life like and accurate. This viewing proves what people are saying about Philips tubes, and in particular in the Aventos: simply superb, and proabably the best on offer.

I have one niggle though, and it comes in the shape of AMD (Auto Movie Detection, or aspect ratio switching). Whilst the Aventos does a funky curtain slide thing with the picture whilst switching, it's easy for it to get confused when watching 4:3 channels on Sky, for instance music channels that sometimes have widescreen videos. It's not that major, and you can override it, or switch AMD off all together of course. There's no such problem on DVD video, correctly switching between 4:3 and cinemascope as appropriate.

Another thoughful surprise is how easy it is to set-up the Aventos. Sky to AV2 and DVD to AV3, AV2 RGB on, and AV3 permanently configured to RGB. The manual is tiny in comparison to its features, but you simply don't need the manual after you've got the grasp of what the symbols are on the Control 150 remote. The on-screen instructions are virtually idiot proof, only falling fowl when it comes to in-bound SCART signal formats which are totally defeating to the novice, and even I had to look up some technical literature to know that Y-V is S-Video! Generally speaking, excellent.

What's it like for Sky? I know a huge percentage of people on here need good Sky performance. I've seen Sky displayed on lots of equipment, and I'm not convinced that A) the source is as good as it could be, and B) it isn't set-up properly on a lot of systems. Once I had configured the set using test DVD Video and a couple of films, Sky seemed a little harsh, over contrasting and hard on the eyes, especially with horrid flesh tones. I couldn't fix this completely, but backing off the colour a little, and choosing Services on the Sky remote, and setting Contrast from Picture Settings to Low seemed to cure much of the problem. I'm using a Panasonic Sky Digital receiver, and other people may have differences with other equipment. Going back to DVDs and colours didn't seem washed out at all by my tweaking, in fact it looks more realistic now! Living proof that it's worth while playing with settings and getting everything working in harmony.

Since all my equipment (except for the Panny Sky box) is black, it was a sacrifice for me to go for the Platinum finish set, when I really wanted the Graphite. The boss says it looks fine and I saved 25% (with a bit of friendly haggling, not forgetting of course it was discounted already as ex-display). You can pick up Aventos's for about £1K off the net, more for the Graphite for some reason, but if I had to choose between my original limited budget of £800, and sets available for the £1K+- bracket, I'd up my limit and go Aventos every time!

So there you have it. If there are any more questions about the Aventos, feel free to ask away and I'll endevour to answer questions.

Cheers ;)

4. Dragonoptical

Dragonoptical

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually I bought myself a Sony KV-32FX68 a week ago, and I'm not really pleased with it, the picture is grainy/pixelated when watching analog tv (digital tv will only be available here at the end of the year), logo's, tennis courts and so on are really flickering, and...the set is buzzing (which is apparently a common problem with the sony sets)!!
    So I'm going to give it back and try to take a Loewe 3781 in the place (hopefully the shop where I got my Sony is selling Loewe sets...).
    Could you guys tell me if the Loewe 3781 offers:
    - a picture quality without a lot of pixelization/grainy effect
    - a picture without a lot of flickering
    - that's about it, if the pic is good and the set doesn't buzz I'm glad! (it's sad that when you'r giving 1000€ for a set you can't ask more than just a good pic quality and no flickering)
    Thx!

5. Chester

Chester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +258
    Can I ask why you're thinking about the 28" and not the 32" since you've already had one? You might find the Aventos is not quite so deep (front to back).

If the quality of the 32 is anything to go by, the 28 will be excellent. It's probably going to be better from the point of view that the screen is physically smaller, revealing slightly less detail, but also not hiding more digital artefacts and grainyness that can get worse as screen size increases.

Just as with Hi-Fi, the better quality your components, the more detail you reveal, but also more problems can be found with recordings/broadcasts.

Bear in mind that the 28" only has one RGB SCART socket, unlike its bigger brother that has two.

6. Rojo Habe

Rojo Habe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Doesn't the 81 in the model number mean that it is 32" (81cm)?

Speaking of which, there's no 3781 in the brochure I've got. There's an Aventos 3981 (32") or 3970 (28"). Unless the 3781 is the Belgian model?