1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choose right speakers please help!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by William Shin, Sep 4, 2005.

1. William Shin

William Shin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am considering the upgrade of my b&w 602s2 now.
    It's only for music as I run HT separately and will be driven by MF A3 int amp and 3.2 cd.

I listen mostly to classical music such as vocals, string instruments, orchestra and also jazz and some light pops and sound tracks. However tight bass control, speed and depth are important, which is one of the main reasons for upgrade.

My budget is up to a grand for ex-demo or s/h.

My listening room size is 12" x 13", not big and not good shape either but I have had no problems with boomy bass as it is reasonably well furnished.

Currently I have narrowed down two brands Spendor and PMC .
    Spendor s5e, s6s, s8s
    PMC gb1, fb1, fb1+

Question is

Are those floorstanders are suitable for my room size or right choice?

Particularly comments on strength and weakness of each speakers would be of great help.

I have read through the threads on forum but the problem is the more I read the more I am confused.

I have demoed today PMC gb1 and fb1 unfortunately fb1+ and spendor s5e were out for home demo. I was impressed with bass extension of both. B&W 602 is far beyond par in that area. That's all I can tell for a short demo.

Also any other recommendations including standmounts within that budget?

Any advice would be greatly welcome.

2. sonofmoth

sonofmoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    could you get a home demo too?

3. William Shin

William Shin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, the dealer I went to is 100 miles away and home demo available only for the weekend.

4. harv

harv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I would consider JM Lab and ATC as well. The ATC's have had great reviews well everywhere, SCM 12's (I think £999). I'm using JM Lab 816 speakers at the mo, very fast, deep but tuneful bass, good timing, they're a bit bright though and can be fussy about positioning but when they're happy... They come with foam bungs for the ports and I had them in a room similar to yours. But they have since been replaced by 816s model with an improved crossover. Which I haven't heard but did get good reviews.

5. William Shin

William Shin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Atc has rave reviews indeed however cosmetic is also important. I don't think that muscular look impress my other half.
    Are there any sites I can get some more info on JM Lab 816 from?

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Do you have a Totem dealer near you as the Rainmakers may fit the bill. Nobber22 and I listened to them at the Bristol show in 2004 and we agreed that they were the best sounds that we heard that year amongst the sensibly priced speakers.

7. William Shin

William Shin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian,

Unfortunately most hifi dealers are all closed, Superfi, Hifi inn all gone. I think N'hampton, wellingborough are hifi dealer's grave.
    I know nothing about Nobber22. Are there any sites where I can get some info. I am not an expert and normally follow the main streams, choose a safe choice which most people recommend. You know what I am talking about :D

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    According to the Totem distributor's website Leicester Hifi are Totem dealers and brief details of the Rainmaker are here

9. William Shin

William Shin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for info, Ian, which is helpful.
    Rainmaker's quite compact size, I guess price would be near a grand.
    I heard Ruark Sabre 3 has good reviews, good bass delivery for under 900 quids. What do you think of those two in terms of bass department?

It seems like none recommend spendor or pmc for me. Are they definately not suitable for my current set up including room size?

As I mentioned before I would prefer s/h if possible particularly speakers. It would be better if I can get hold of s/h one easily after demo and decision of my mind.

10. Dickster

Dickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    William,

I'd definately recommend the PMC GB1's :thumbsup: . They fit in fine with my Arcam set-up and in a room not far off the same size as yours. They're also small and compact as floorstanders go so not too intrusive.

Hope that helps.

Dickster

11. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    William, why does it have to be floorstanders?

You said:
    . In my book, that's something only quality standmounts can achieve.

PMC, Spendor & Pro-Ac have some superb standmounts. Get yourself some Partington Super Dreadnoughts and a pair Pro-Ac Reference 8 Sigs. You'll be smiling from ear-to-ear :smashin:

Other alternatives to the brands you have mentioned (you failed to give a reason for your preference) would be Sonus Faber (high WAF!), Revolver (amazing vfm & perfect for your music preferences) and Dynaudio.

DT

12. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    We heard the PMC GB1 at the Bristol show this year playing classical music and they certainly sounded good to our ears - as did the Spendors and Dali.

13. William Shin

William Shin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was impressed with PMC GB1 sounds, particlularly bass control, it' very exiting. But I haven't had enough time to test mid band and treble with various music so I am still not sure. If I had compared Spendor s5e and pmc gb1 side by side I should have had much better idea. Big brother FB1 delivers bass much better than gb1, more punch and depth.

From various reviews and comments on this forum I have got uncertainty about their weakness.

1. I really like bass sound of pmc, no doubt for short term listening but am not sure about long term listening, whether its forwardness in mid, high bands gives me fartique. Some party speakers do.

2. I got feeling Spendor might be much safer choice, less aggressive but how about bass control?

Yes, my brain keeps saying standmounts but my heart floorstanders :D
    I don't mind standmounts as long as it gives me musical exitements.

14. William Shin

William Shin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    GB1 is really petit size of floorstander. Less impressed with its finish but sounds impressive. I haven't found s/h. New one is slightly over a grand. For that money I feel I can get a little bit better s/h standmounts or floorstanders.
    IHO MF doesn't sound as warm as Arcam. Do you think GB1 and MF are good match?

15. William Shin

William Shin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spendor s5e - ex-dem 799 plus postage
    Atc scm12 - ex-dem 699 plus postage
    Audiovector MI 3 - ex-dem 795 plus postage
    Epos M22s - s/h 750 plus postage

The above mentioned are currently I found on market. Are they all reasonable price? Which one would you recommend as a good purchase, or most tempted if you were out to spend?

16. William Shin

William Shin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Since I asked for your wisdoms I would like to let you guys know what I have decided. now I ended up with Spendor S6s owner.

Well, it wasn't exactly what I was after. I almost leaned towards to PMC. However even though PMC's fantastic bass control its treble and mid band to my ear were still major concerns. No doubt it is a fantastic speakers but maybe not for my musical taste, such as classical vocals and instruments. Initially I was blown away due to its bass but for a long term I might long for much sweeter sound. When I focused on vocals and main string instruments I wasn't 100% convinced.

Then I heard Spendor S6s next. Amazingly it sounded more or less the same as most forum members and professional reviewers mentioned. Fantastic silk-like sounds, very sweet and very musical but mediocre bass perfomance. Nothing special, too safe and too reserved, lack of punch, whatever music you throw into it it won't upset anybody.

End of day however it's lovely high/mid band sounds are too good to resist and it's cheap as s/h too. I am sure there are much better speakers out there but so far it will do a good job for me until the next upgrade.

Another benefit of Spendor is that it suits perfectly for my room size, there is no hint of boomy bass or distortion even it is resonablely big size of floor stander. For lack of bass I added subwoofer instead, then it suddenly filled up the missing low end punch and began to sing as what I wanted. I Actually wanted something like Spendors treble sound with PMC's bass. Now I seem to have both.

I was always skeptical about using subwoofer for hi-fi set up, I used to own Rel Q50, Quake, Q100. I fiddeld around with high level connection but never happy with its sound. My current one is Velo CHT10, which isn't high-end sub and I purely use for av set up. I wouldn't dare to call it a musical sub but I was very surprised how it integrated well with main speakers and added extra exitement without distorting the overall balance.

Maybe next time if my budget allows I will try another sub to see how much it can improve.

Anyway that's the story so far. Thank you guys again for your comments and suggestions.

17. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Thanks for returning to give us the end of the story. The Spendors are fine speakers indeed.