1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choose me a LCD in the price bracket of £500 to £700

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Rookies, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    Ok I have been looking round this fourm today and am finding it very hard to choose what LCD to go for

So please choose me one between £500 to £700 the lower the better please it for bedroom HD ready is not really needed but good for future proof I suppose

There you go guys a challange

2. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    Sounds like the Sharp LC26P50E is the perfect LCD for you.

[​IMG]

It's "PAL Optimized" so it'll be the best looking LCD out there for regular television/DVDs, and is fully HD capable. (it downsizes HD material to fit the screen perfectly)

£630 at EmpireDirect - probably about £25 shipping.

3. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    That looks lovely Better go and see one working, Is it very good picture wise and the like and it deffo HD future proof ready for when I get Sky HD?

Also trying to find out if it capable of going on the wall??

Cheers

4. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    He said it was "HD Capable" not HD Ready, ie. it will still receive HD when available but display it at a lower resolution. Not a great deal of difference on a 26" though.

5. leeb

leeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
  6. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,401
    The other option would be the Samsung 26" model that can be had for around 550 to 700 online. There are four variations of it, LE26R41B/LE26R41BD/LE26R51B/LE26R51BD. This one is HD ready and future proof.

7. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    I looked at a samsung today not long ago at John Lewis and quite like it. Which of those modle the best or are they all the same?

Cheers

8. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    I think the differences between the 41 and 51 are cosmetic only and I think the ones with the D on the end have intregrated Freeview.

9. NackNack

NackNack
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    I have the 26" LCD Samsung from Homecinematv, £587 delivered, top notch it is. HD Ready.

10. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,401
    The ones with the D in the model number have an integrated digital tuner ( IDT ). The ones with 51 in the model number are exclusive to the Dixons store group ( Dixons, Currys and PC World ) and are slightly cosmetically different with the triangle bit on the bottom being partially black as opposed to all silver on the 41 models.

11. Shook

Shook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got my Samsung LE26R41BDX from waratah for £611 and it's superb. I couldn't be happier. And properly HD ready for the price, it really is a bargain.

I have to say tho, that Sharp is a beaut, if you're not bothered about HD.

The Aquos TV's have a great picture.

12. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    Ok Guys am more toward the Samsung now. Is it good With standard RF signal if I have a good reception? As I am moving house soon and this tv is to go into my bedroom and I am thinking of holding fire on getting my current sky plus refitted into the new house and hold for the Sky HD. Or should I get my current setup installed by a local fitter and then upgrade later what you all think

13. cozzykim

cozzykim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi all,
    sorry to jump in with this one
    How big is your bedroom Rookies?
    How about this one:-
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...3767339-3591837
    I've been looking for a decent spec 32" LCD for a while, almost bought the woolies 32" Crown until found out on here that it has no VGA input in current form.
    So, I found the Video7 in that thread an' went 'n' ordered one.
    Will post impressions when it arrives.
    Also it ain't that difficult to install your old $ky by yourself, if you can drill four holes in your house wall and the dish can 'see' 19E then it can be done even without a sat finder - mine was - search the forums for instructions or to be pointed in the right direction.
    Give it a go
    Good Luck

14. homerdog

homerdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    My Samsung is happily hanging from my bedroom wall ;)

Another vote for Waratah, a pleasure to do business with :)

15. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Sky will reinstall you're Sky+ for free if you move home. I still say if you only want a bedroom LCD for watching SD material then you're better off with the Sharp.

16. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    Well I plan to go SKy HD in Feb so will this sharp me ok for it? There a few different sharp please link me to the one you suggest please

17. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    If you wnat to watch HD in all it's glory then the P50 probably isn't the one for you. Try the GA6 instead or look at the Panasonics.

18. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    Thankyou for your help, Are you suggesting I should not go for the samsung? The reason pls?

19. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    I have the 32" Samsung LE32R41BX and would personally not recommend it. I have had two faults with mine, am in the process of getting a refund, and will be picking up a Sharp LC32GD7E to replace it. (£1400 though; a little out of your budget, and the 26" is £1000)

It does not handle SDTV well at all in my opinion. It does not do a good job of de-interlacing, which results in a smeared image. It is good with 480p, great with 720p, and poor with 1080i. The Sharp P50 should look fantastic with all inputs. True; it won't look as good as a 720p panel with 720p content, but it should look better than a 720p panel with any other resolution. The difference at 720p is very minor though.

A 720p LCD will have to "upscale" normal television (note: SkyHD will only have 6 HD channels, the rest will still be SDTV) which essentially means it has to "guess" and create information out of nothing. (interpolation)

The Sharp P50 will run SD content natively (no scaling whatsoever) and will downscale HD to fit. This means that you lose some resolution, but downscaling, if anything, makes images appear sharper. HD will still look fantastic.

At 26" I'm not sure how much difference you would really see between native 720p and downscaled 720p to be honest, but you will definitely see the difference between native SDTV and upscaled.

The only reason I am going to be buying a 720p panel is because I'm a gamer, and from December onwards, 99% of the games I buy will be running in 720p, and the resolution is very important there. (not so much with television/film) If you just watch television/dvds, unless you're planning on being an early adopter of BluRay & HDDVD (probably about £1k each for a player, and there are talks of £30/movie) you won't be seeing much HD content for some time.

If I wasn't a gamer and watching regular television was a concern, I'd be buying a P50.

20. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    Many Many thanks for your ace reply Hmm Alot of people have said the Sharp me best for my need as I only for Sky And TV really. Maybe best going down that route then, Even though it is ok for HD it can take HD signals but not at full performance but you all saying I wont see that much of a different as only watching sky and tv

21. dkboy22

dkboy22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried to take some photos for comparison between a 37" P50 and a 37" HD Ready Sharp LCD, both running 720p HD demo material - see this thread:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252410&page=1&highlight=P50
    I'd struggle to tell the difference at normal viewing distance, even on a 37". Therefore, difference should be negligible on a 26".

22. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    If you don't mind me saying you seem a bit confused as to what you want out of a new LCD. Is it going to be normal Sky plus DVD use, or SKY HD and any other HD content you can get you're hands on, ie. HD DVD/BluRay, Xbox360 etc, or is it as I would guess a combination of both. If you want a compromise that's going to give you excellant results with standard Sky TV and DVD as well as being able to display Sky HD if/when you get it then the Sharp P50 is the one to go for. On the other hand if you're going to leave standard TV behind and solely use it for HD next year then a HD Ready screen is for you, possiby the Sharp GA6 or GD7.

23. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    i am thinking of a sharp too but have a couple of quick questions - is the 32" 16:9? the sharp site says Screen Resolution 960 x 540 x RGB ??! And will it display NTSC material properly/well? Ebuyer selling the 32" P50 for £810 ish. not searched anymore yet but still a good price. or is the Toshiba WL56 better for samr price?

24. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    Yes, 960x540 is 16:9. :) As for NTSC material; I can't say how well it would do, but I'd imagine as good as any other LCD that has to upscale. (of course 720p / 1080i are the same resolution with PAL / NTSC)

25. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    ok cheers - is this better than the Toshiba? i watch freeview and DVDs and the odd xbox game and would (maybe) use my pc though it.

26. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    To say one set is better than another is very subjective. We can only say that in our own opinion the Sharp gives the best picture with standard defintion TV and DVD. You need to look at both the Sharp and Toshiba and make up you're own mind which is better for you.

27. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    Well I am really wanting one Future proof really as I know I will be getting a xbox 360 and SKy HD. I know I want one that is future proof but it also gotta be able to handle my current needs till the HD comes. Get what I mean. The sharp looks good thou and found it at good price. So I am looking in different angles and choices first.

I am now looking to see what Panasonic modle there are at 26" and hd ready and can handle normal tv and sky plus well for time being. Low price too if possible.

I aint rushing into this just doing my search with you all and with all your help get me the kit I deserve

28. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    Well, X360 is due out in 47 days, so it's not exactly going to be long till you'll be playing in 720p.

In that case, definitely look at a 720p native display, however you will be making a compromise with the quality of regular television.