1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choose me a DVD player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Galadial, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Galadial

Galadial

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    These are the rules:

1) cost £100-150 (I can be flexible - but this is the amount i want to spend)
    2) 5.1 Surround sound output [I have a Sony DAV S800 DTS player with 5.1 surround sound output - I need to replace the player as it won't produce sound (see other thread) - but I want to keep the speakers and reuse them.]

Other info that might be useful:

I have a Sony 32 inch side screen TV which will accompany the DVD player.

Thanks in advance,

G

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Standard dvd players with 5.1 outputs don't have an amplifier built in. The only way you could use your sony speakers is to buy another home cinema system and instead of using the speakers included with that, use your sony speakers instead. Its possible if your sony has an optical or coaxial input you could use a standard dvd player with your sony with the sony doing the amplification. It depends if your sony's amp section is at fault or the dvd player section. Do you get sound out of the headphone socket? If you do it sounds like it could be a short on one of the speaker terminals or speakers themselves.

3. Galadial

Galadial

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No sound from headphone :( I'm afraid.

4. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Actually I've read your other thread where you say the radio works through the speakers. Does it have an optical input to connect an external dvd player? Would you happy to still use your main sony unit as an amplifier even though the dvd section is faulty?