ChoicesUk

Shared

Established Member
Reaction score
Just on the news now.

What with Silverscreen, MVC, Fopp, and Music Zone going I wonder who will be next?

I own a Convenience store and I rent out dvds and I use Choices UK Local which is a part of Choices uk, I probably find out tomorrow whether it's just the high street stores that are in trouble or the whole company, but seeing on the news it sounds like the whole company.

It sounds like they're a victim of the dwindling market, my daughter works for them, and she wasn't aware how bad things were until i phoned her today after seeing it on teletext.

I think it is the whole group that's at risk, the managment are (according to an email they sent to the stores) hopeful of finding a buyer, time will tell i suppose.

Just on the news now.

What with Silverscreen, MVC, Fopp, and Music Zone going I wonder who will be next?
the big boys HMV(+Waterstones) and Virgin are certainly peeing £millions away on the high street; HMV are even doing the rather wierd thing of selling (unsuccessfully) digital downloads instore :rotfl:

Hopefully ChoicesUK online business will continue :lease:

Blockbuster are also in BIG BIG trouble, as I understand from management there

On the rental side it is no surprise really. Compared to the online rental services the likes of blockbuster et al can have no hope of competing. £10 for unlimited rentals or £3.50 for a nights viewing. Tricky one that!

On the rental side it is no surprise really. Compared to the online rental services the likes of blockbuster et al can have no hope of competing. £10 for unlimited rentals or £3.50 for a nights viewing. Tricky one that!

I still use a blockbuster stores. I don't rent that many but do get offers through the post such as 99p rentals or 2 for 1. I rather pay a few quid every now and then £10 every month. I would have problems filling up the rental list.

Blockbuster is also £3.95 (or 2 for £7, 3 for £9).

I own a Convenience store and I rent out dvds and I use Choices UK Local which is a part of Choices uk, I probably find out tomorrow whether it's just the high street stores that are in trouble or the whole company, but seeing on the news it sounds like the whole company.

Snap

My rep told me that the part of the business that we deal with is in profit but that their stores and web based business are losing a lot

So far everythings pretty unclear as to whats going to happen from here. Everyone working at head office is up in the air and the sooner the bosses let us know something, ie, if we will still have jobs, the happier everyone will be - one things for sure - theres a clear motto with some people already and that's jump ship and quick!!

:confused:

So far everythings pretty unclear as to whats going to happen from here. Everyone working at head office is up in the air and the sooner the bosses let us know something, ie, if we will still have jobs, the happier everyone will be - one things for sure - theres a clear motto with some people already and that's jump ship and quick!!

:confused:

Well my daughter has been told she's okay for another Three weeks, though i'm not sure who told her that, i do know she's in work tomorrow.

I've told her she should offer the same loyalty and courtesy as was offered to her, ie none. The bosses should have kept the workforce up to date.

Snap

My rep told me that the part of the business that we deal with is in profit but that their stores and web based business are losing a lot

Yeah thats what I was told to, have you had your new releases yet for Monday normally as it's a bank holiday tomorrow, they get delivered Friday/Saturday, i was told that they are now using royal mail to deliver, I did phone up the head office at Peterborough and ask them if they are still carrying on supplying new releases to it local sites like ours and they said its carrying on as normal.

We also have our own Convienience Store, and use Choices Uk Local to rent DVD's. We haven't recevied any changover DVD's or new titles, depsite being told all is well.

We've been in touch with trading standards, as we were waiting for a credit for some stock we had returned. We have also written to choices to cancel our contract, we we're going to do this in any case, as we haven't been happy with the service we had received.

In view that we haven't received any new DVD's or a monthly changover, we have stopped our direct debit. I don't think they will recover from this.

We also have our own Convienience Store, and use Choices Uk Local to rent DVD's. We haven't recevied any changover DVD's or new titles, depsite being told all is well.

We've been in touch with trading standards, as we were waiting for a credit for some stock we had returned. We have also written to choices to cancel our contract, we we're going to do this in any case, as we haven't been happy with the service we had received.

In view that we haven't received any new DVD's or a monthly changover, we have stopped our direct debit. I don't think they will recover from this.

Hi Nick

I know that the parcel company they used have stopped their contract and that everything is going via royal mail but I was told that there will be no exchanges or retail stock (sell through dvd's) being sent from the warehouse, did you receive any new releases last Monday? There might be a delay in gettng new release this week due to them using royal mail and also begin bank holiday with no post tomorrow.

Where abouts are you based, I'll also have to find another company if they go under.:eek:

I am due to have a new install of rentals in my new store next week and I phoned my rep on Thursday and he has told me that everything is still going ahead. and he was told from head office that its business as normal for Local stores like ours.

Hi

We are based in South Yorkshire. We didn't receive any DVD's last Monday, or any this Saturday, which is when we normally receive them.

We've been in touch with a company called Changeover, who are going to supply us, if things don't change with Choices.

we were initally told there was a 48hour delay in despatching DVD's, due to Administrators arriving. Our Exchange was collected by Parcelforce as usual on Wednesday, but nothing has been delivered. The Parcel Force chap, said he wasn't carrying any parcels from Choices. We spoke to our rep, who said we might get a changover after the back log was cleared, although not guaranteed. They are being very vague, so in light of this, and advised by our Bank Manager, we have stopped out direct debit. We'll see what happens, but basically we haven't received any new titles since 18th August.

We'll see what happens next, but not hopeful.

Hi Nick

I am based in Devon, what type of scheme are you on, I am on the share scheme not a fixed fee, what were your last lot of titles you had from them, I got new releases last week ok got reaping, reign over me, painted veil, alpha dog and mr bean.

I was told that in my next weeks allowance was Sunshine, Wild Hogs, and a couple other titles that I can't remember, But if they don't arrive on Tuesday I 'll have to consider to canceling my contact and finding another company because I can't have it effecting my rentals after it took me years to build it up to what it is now. Are changeover just based in your area or do they cover the rest of the country.

Hi

We are on a fixed fee scheme, which basically provided us with a 28 dvd changeover once a month, and 7 new top title's a month. Our last DVD's received were Fracture, Shooter, and the contracter.

The company we are thinking of going to is only based in South Yorkshire.

We are starting to lose sales, as you'll know, people want the latest films, so we're starting to turn people down, which is not good!.

I think we're only going to to give it until mid week, and then send them a recorded delivery letter stating that they have broken the contract by not sending any fims out.

Good luck, and if we hear anything i'll post on here!.

hi nick

I would give your rep a ring tomorrow saying that you haven't received any new release since 18th August and with anything going on you feel that you are thinking about leaving as they are not sticking to the agreement you signed up for.

I am also going to give my rep a ring tomorrow if the new releases I should of had today don't arrive. If you do decide to stay with Choices if they survive ask your rep to about other packages they do, we do the share scheme and it works well for us as we have gone from only doing around £60 a week when we first joined to sales now of £300 to £400, and we are currently down for 30 new releases a month.

I don't know if you agree but one of Choices weaknesses is that we are unable to choose what titles we can have in, I know from another company that I will go with if Choices do finish, allow you to buy the films out right and also give you the choice of what you have in your store.

Hi Pete

Thanks for the info, it does sound like you are on a better system than us!. We used to buy our own, and we moved to choices as it did seem a better option, but to be honest it was a bad move. Personally we were much better of buying them.

I agree the worst thing about choices is not being able to choose your top titles, that has been one of the biggest problems we've had.

We have decided whatever happens we will pull out. We were definetly better off when we bought them outright. Thanks for the advice, and good luck. !

For anyone wondering what's the state regarding their online store, I got a PM reply from Antony_Sa one of Choices employees who is also a member of AVF.

This is what he had to say:

Hi partyweb,

Unfortuantely I have no further news to report at the moment - however it is business as usual across the business.

So here's hopin' it stays that way for a while.

I heard today that they're selling off 27 or 28 stores, which out of the total number of stores isn't as bad as it might have been, unless of course you work in one of those stores :(

Just a quick update, my daughter tells me that Blockbuster has bought 59 of the ChoicesUk stores.

Hi Pete

Thanks for the info, it does sound like you are on a better system than us!. We used to buy our own, and we moved to choices as it did seem a better option, but to be honest it was a bad move. Personally we were much better of buying them.

I agree the worst thing about choices is not being able to choose your top titles, that has been one of the biggest problems we've had.

We have decided whatever happens we will pull out. We were definetly better off when we bought them outright. Thanks for the advice, and good luck. !

Do you have any suggestions as to a good place to buy rental copies outright?

I am currently using Choices but they will be resigning everybody with new agreements in the next couple of weeks now that this section of their business has been sold and I am looking into other options for renting out dvd's

hi
I have started to get some of my delayed titles in Becoming Jane, meet the robinsons, stephanie daley and this is england have arrived still waiting on 28 weeks later, factory girl, perfect stranger, van wilder 2 curse of the golden flower and a couple of other titles, which I have been told that I should get all outstanding titles by middle of next week, I have already had next weeks new releases which is a good thing Black Snake Moan and Tigers Tail.

Has any other Choices Local customers starting getting any titles in that were owed.

I am also looking to start to buy my own, and am going to hold of in signing any new contract with them,

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom