1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choices so many...choices...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by TopMeTom, May 8, 2003.

1. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    What to choose.......hmmmmm

I have been looking for a 42" plasma for some time now on the verge of buying funds are available!!
    Question:so many choices what to pick,my list:
    Pan 42PWD5
    Hitachi 42PMA400E, Hitachi CL42PD3000,
    Pioneer PDP-433 MXE, Toshiba 42WP27B, LG MZ-42PZ17, Philips 420P30,are ther any more?haha

Any advice chaps?Will also be connecting dvd.sky+,MAY upgrade dvd to progressive if money right so want a screen that does that too!!(not that i'm fussy)

Cheers,

Phil

2. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Well you left out the new Fujitsu panel. Its the best panel I have seen I must say. Down to your budget. At the top end I would go for the the Fujitsu or the Pioneer.

The Hitachi & Panasonic are meant to be good screens but have had a few flaws pointed out if you do some searches. Also new Panny will be here very shortly. But then again every screen has some draw backs if you are perfectly honest. At the other end of the spectrum the LG 17 is a very good screen at the price and is around 30% less than the top of the range models. Properly setup I think its a great screen obviously I am happy with mine. I could have got the Tosh for an extra 500 quid but could not see much difference in quality and the look of the panel is much much better in my opinion.

Go and demo the lot, make such you take a selection of your own DVDs and that it is a level playing field (Component only input please sir).

Unless you are getting an amazing Progressive Scan DVD I would not bother. Plasma screens deinterlace anyway so not neccessary.

As for connectivity best quality is either component to RGB scart converter plus an RGB scart switch or Component switching (It costs).

I am sure there will be plenty of other comments oin this.

3. tonymccandless

tonymccandless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Phil

I was in same position. Things important to me were:-

* Quiet operation, no fan noise
    * As future proof as possible e.g. DVI connection
    * Prog.scan for Pal
    * No reliance on shipped-with-screen external box for processing

I looked at the following

Hitachi PD3000/400e; Reported as noisey and PD3000 has external box of gadgets

Panasonic; External box put me off

Fujitsu; new screens all returned at one distributor due to noise. Quote "It makes the Hitachi sound quiet"

Pio PDP433HDE; no prog.scan and external box

So after all this I decided on a Pio433MXE

* It's quiet
    * It has card for upgrades (bloody expensive though)
    * Decent price

I am adding a tuner to this. I will feed Sky (via JS RGB2YUV), my PS/2 and DVD (all as component) through my amp to component out. I will feed tuner into VGA and voila....he says hopefully.

I would say best advice is that already given. See them in operation if you can and make your own mid up. Everyone always wants the latest but you will always be chasing the rainbow so JFDI and enjoy.

Re cash, if you have it great, if not then don't take the dealers option if you can avoid it (Approx 19.9% for one). I calculated the difference between Lombard and the dealer credit was £600 over 36 months. Spend the extra £600 on treats and get an independant loan if you need it. If you go to £5k you get lower apr.

Good luck

T