Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Choices more difficult than before

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Kobus, May 10, 2005.

1. Kobus

Kobus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe that at the moment if you are in the market for "high-end" equipment the choices are more difficult than other times due to certain current and imminent advances in technology.

For my previous amp/receiver you looked at the price, the output, listened and purchased.

Now at the top end of the receivers (Denon 3805, Pioneer axa5i, Marantz, Yamaha etc.) not all of them are the same in terms of certain techno stuff. Here I refer to i-link, HDMI, video up conversion, multi room. (there might be more).

I am sure that within a year or two that they will all be on par regarding these things. But what about the guy like myself that need to purchase now?

2. Neil Porter

Neil Porter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    This is the old Betamax vs VHS problem all over. The proprietry technologies come out and you can either gamble on which of these technologies you go for or, like me, ignore the proprietry stuff and focus on what standardised facilities are available such as DTS versions or THX.

3. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    I would say primarily Get an amp based on the sound quality and to match your speaker, then concentrate on the other features you find useful. If there is/are features you find essential then put them at the top with sound quality. The feature may increase the cost or compromise on sound quaility, but something like video switch and conversion, I would call essentail these days. Although any feature you can think of there is probably a 3rd party box that'll do it for you.

Denon/I-link are a digital format for transfering sound, when the bandwidth is to high for difital co-ax/optical. You usualy need to buy the source player from the same company as the amp to use them though. Only 'SACD' and 'DVD-A' use this and you can get by with using analoauge to the 5.1 in of an amp, and this is more universal. There may be a bigg difference but i've never auditioned to find out.
    What speakers do you have or are interested in getting.

Also remember that HDMI switching doesn't seem to perform conversion, i.e. put in component to amp and conenct to pannel with HDMI probably won't work (maybe the high end denon 5805 will?). Couple this with the fact that some recievers only have 2 HDMI ins theres not much point IMHO.

Up conversion will take a source and convert it into another, not inproving the quality but just making it compatable, is great with a projector as it means you only need one cable to sned everything, i.e. DVD->component, Sky->s-video, VCR->composite, and it all travels along a component cable, instead of 3.