Question Choices for in wall - M&K / Monitor Audio / KEF?

Or you had a poor demo and likely not their pro range.

Their pro range doesn't. The standard consumer stuff does.

As above.

It's all well and good being honest but he's giving you HIS opinion and it is YOU that must decide what sounds best to YOU. I merely asked if you had thought about Klipsch because I had a demo of their pro range which was fantastic and night and day better than any MK system I have heard IN MY OPINION.

For anyone interested in learning about the PRO range: Professional Speakers | Klipsch

Thanks for the schooling on how to pick speakers and I think your CAPS lock is faulty.

Can we not turn this into yet another tit for tat argument !

It's all well and good being honest but he's giving you HIS opinion and it is YOU that must decide what sounds best to YOU. I merely asked if you had thought about Klipsch because I had a demo of their pro range which was fantastic and night and day better than any MK system I have heard IN MY OPINION.

All I can give him is my opinion and for what it's worth, this isn't my first time at the beach. And since you've had a sense of humour removal, it's obvious that while my opinion is my own it is also somewhat tongue in cheek.

For anyone interested in learning about the PRO range: Professional Speakers | Klipsch

Yes, he should put big PA style speakers in his house, perfect for those discrete installs. JBL would be a better choice for that kinda of application IN MY OPINION!!!!! lol.

Don't worry, I didn't expect you to agree with me.

I agree with you more than you think.. it's mainly more on the littler things that I don't.

Ok so just got of the phone to Harron Homes and they’ve given me some good new. From the outer wall to the brick underneath I have 300mm to play with which i was not expecting.

I will definitely be goin with in wall speakers with the 950 currently top of the list.

I went from MA Shadows to MK 950's recently. Very happy with the change. I'd enjoyed the MA's a lot but the MK are a good upgrade.
They go louder (dynamically too), stay cleaner, and I really noticed the subtle sounds in the mix that I hadn't been picking up on before. I still have MA's in the ceiling but even though not matched to the MK's it is still a big upgrade in sound quality. KEF's uni-q is a nice solution to the sweet spot issue but I've never noticed a sweet spot issue when I went from KEF to MA and now to the MK's which seem to have more than enough dispersion.

As mentioned worth giving Rich @Seriously Ltd a shout if you want to try the MK's. He gave me great service when i bought mine

Oh and just to add the 950's are in no way harsh/bright in my set up. Note from my taste in hifi I don't do harsh!

To be honest 9 times out of 10 a bright system has more to do with room issues. I'm lucky mine seems OK given my room is not treated at all and aside from carpet is quite sparse

Another speaker that has been pointed out to me is the Dali Phantom range. Anybody heard these ?

Another speaker that has been pointed out to me is the Dali Phantom range. Anybody heard these ?
It's going to be difficult to answer TBH. So difficult to dem at home so direct comparisons are hard. I had the Dalis on my radar but had no way of hearing them.
I could clearly hear the difference compared to my speakers when I listened to the MK's so was an easy decision.
I would try not to add to many choices into your mix as you'll drive yourself mad. All are decent brands, make good speakers, and have good aftersales support if that helps?

I would try not to add to many choices into your mix as you'll drive yourself mad. All are decent brands, make good speakers, and have good aftersales support if that helps?

Nail on the head and already there :)

Yeah that’s who’s suggested them as an alternative. What were your thoughts?
Impressive looking, but huge. Not sure I'd get away with in my lounge.

I think the base 5 worked out around £10k at the time, might be less now though.

Sound wise they seemed okay, but it wasn't critical listening to be honest.

Allan also has the MKs, so surely worth a trip for a demo in both his rooms?

By internal block work are you referring to the breeze block? The house is detached so sound proofing isn’t an issue, besides the atmos which is under the masters bedroom.

Yes, had to take a thin layer off the breeze block but wasn't as dramatic as that sounds. They do transmit a fair bit of noise upwards as well though - which needs to be considered if anyone else is likely to be sleeping when you watch a film

That said, the newest version of the 150s seem to be more enclosed than the 'open back' versions I have, so might not be so much of an issue

Was meant to go listen to the Dali’s yesterday but neither of us was free at the same time.

There is a few different sizes and I would have possibly been looking at the s80 model that sits at £1000.

One thing I need to keep reminding myself is not to get carried away. This is is still a living rooms setup, not a dedicated theatre.

Can also strongly recommend Allan at IdealAV; that's where I bought my MKs from and he is absolutely first class

I will definitely be goin with in wall speakers with the 950 currently top of the list.

Heard them a few times now, surprisingly good.

Allan also has the MKs

He doesn't have IW950 or any of new IW ranges as he's not an authorised MK dealer anymore, he would carry predominantly Dali.

He doesn't have IW95 or any of new IW ranges as he's not an authorised MK dealer anymore, he would carry predominantly Dali.
Think you're right Ross, but he did have the 300s in the dark room I think. I know there not 950s, but guessing they would have a similar signature sound?

He doesn't have IW950 or any of new IW ranges as he's not an authorised MK dealer anymore, he would carry predominantly Dali.

Sorry, didn't realise he doesn't stock MKs anymore (shame, as I was thinking of upgrading my surrounds...)

Think you're right Ross, but he did have the 300s in the dark room I think. I know there not 950s, but guessing they would have a similar signature sound?

They all sound good, but there's a definite notable jump in quality from 950 to 150 to 300. And then there's the 150mk3 coming out (not to tempt you @Rick84)

Sorry, didn't realise he doesn't stock MKs anymore (shame, as I was thinking of upgrading my surrounds...)

Think he has some stuff still knocking around, that would be a question for him. If you want a proper MK demo and to demo their range you go see @Seriously Ltd who has full access to the entire line and can demo the stuff on a typical receiver in several rooms or on a really nice Lyngdorf Mp50 processor in a more dedicated & home setup.

Which is really, really nice - it's one of the few things were I have gone 'it's worth it'

@Rock Danger,

Haha, as if it isn’t hard enough lol. Does that mean discounts on the mkii 2 version?

@Rock Danger,

Haha, as if it isn’t hard enough lol. Does that mean discounts on the mkii 2 version?

I would imagine there would be deals to have based on who has what stock, just like any other AV item. I dunno if or when the mk3 iw150 will be released that would be a question for Rich. I'm pretty sure they'll be displaying them at ISE 2018 beginning of Feb.

I have the IW150's for atmos and the 300's on the bottom layer - I've heard IW95 as an all round atmos system in a living room and then a IW150 system with IW95's for Atmos in another living room style setup.

And then an all 300 system in a dedicated room which is great an currently in my top 3 systems heard ever.

How are the in IW95 all round, that would save a few quid.

One thing I need to keep reminding myself is not to get carried away. This is is still a living rooms setup, not a dedicated theatre.

I know what you mean, having got a little carried away last year (I upgraded from MP150 LCR to MPS300 LCR and moved the 150s to Atmos channels). However I can say that a living room set up can still be very good and I've had a good few dedicate room demos so I have a good reference.

A tip that might worth taking note of re in walls: If you choose a version that is more of a sealed box (and I'm not specifically choosing any brands here) then you can at least do some experimenting with positioning before you cut holes in your walls. I was able to do this with my MK IW28 subs. I bought them for extra infill at the back of the room and wanted to make sure I put them in exactly the best spot to benefit most from them. I was able to place them on boxes at the various positions I had planned to see what worked best.

Even if you chose a type with no back box, then you could always make up some basic MDF boxes to put them in to experiment, though that's probably a bit too much work. Less work than moving inwalls though...

I've installed a 7.1.4 system with MA WT280-IDC for fronts and centre, WT265 for side and rear surrounds and CT265 for Atmos speakers. The performance is simply stunning. I moved from MA Radius HD and this is a definite step up.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom