Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Choices for a new broadband ISP

Discussion in 'ISPs & The Internet' started by neil c, Sep 12, 2005.

1. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Righto guys,
    I've got the choice of moving my NTL 2mb connection to my new address (both addresses are in Leeds), or cancelling and getting a new ISP.

Now I have a few worries regarding customer services. NTL could prove difficult either way - moving or cancelling. I was supposedly on a 9 month contract, but theyve continued to charge me for the last 2 months even though the line isnt being used.
    I've had no problems with the connection, but I can see my Gb usage increasing significantly (way above the 30Gb a month). My last address already had an NTL cable line so installation was easy - I won't find out if the new address has a cable line until this weekend - will installation cost any extra if it doesn't have one?

I've got my eyes on an uncapped service such as the Bulldog 8mb, which apprently is available at my new postcode, but I've heard the nightmare stories about their customer services.

I preferably want an all-in-one package so that I don't have to sort a BT line out, which is why both NTL and Bulldog appeal to me.

Any reccomendations, advice or experiences (good/bad) of ISPs would be much appreciated!

2. timothyw

timothyw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    No problems with bulldog, except for that they kept ringing me up to check everything was ok- was somewhat disconcerting given i had made no attempt to contact them nor had any issues (and this is with pretty heavy usage! gotta love the 8meg)

3. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks TimonthyW, I'm certainly learning more towards Bulldog at the moment - but 8Mbps no caps + NewsHosting subscription will cause havok with the hard drive space! What is the upload speed?

I've worked out that it may well be cheaper to go with Bulldog - I can run the contract on a monthly basis and get a new user 3 month 1/2 price offer as opposed to a continued NTL 12 month contract.

4. timothyw

timothyw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    i can most definately concur that it plays havoc with disk space! I seem to spend half my time burning to dvd! Its half a meg upstream, which isn't stellar, but does the job for vpn, remote desktop and torrents etc.

5. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Roll on Blu-Ray/HD-DVD.......actually thinking about it for a minute, roll on ADSL+2, TB hard drives and High Definition official legal downloads!

6. MPK

MPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Bulldog is a bit like Easyjet: When it works it's great, but when it doesn't it's an absolute nightmare as the customer service is appalling. Why not go for www.bethere.co.uk. You get 24 Mb/s at £20/month, much better deal.

7. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've contact Be, and based on my postcode they told me that the service is available in my area! That's bad news - £30.50 inc a BT line for around 24Mbps uncapped, hard drives arent going to like it, it was bad enough on a 1Mbps line! I'm actually excited about it (sad), its like getting broadband for the first time all over again.

I'm going to cancel with NTL today and try and get it all signed up with the BT line and Be. Has anyone had any experience of Be or of getting a line installed with BT?

8. MPK

MPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Haven't had any experience with Be, but as far as I know the owner runs the fastest ISP in Sweden (26Mb/s) rather successfully. So in terms of customer service it can only be better than the likes of Bulldog. I think they are also looking into local loop unbundling, i.e. at some point they will take over the BT line and you only pay one lower fee to them. Regarding setting up a BT line.....good luck! :)

9. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well I've already had a bad experience with Be.

I sent an email last night and got a reponse this morning stating that Be was available in my area (on which I based the above post).

I decided to phone them to check before I began sorting the BT line. I got through quite quickly and guess what...the assistant tells me that its not available until March, and he checked the email that was sent to me and confirms that I was wrongly informed.

*At least they have a reponse management system, and it seems to work well, they log each client correspondance using a ticket ID and can locate them quickly.*

But this afternoon I recieved another email from another sales assistant to tell me that Be is available in my area in November?! I've replied to the email, detailing all the information that I have been given so far, and I asked for them to check with a manager.

So, three different dates from Be all in the same day! At least they are easy to communicate with!

10. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,431
    I too need new broadband ISP. My contract ends in 3 days and counting :rolleyes:

Shame Manchester exchanges aren't updated as wuick as London's for high speed

11. AdiCab

AdiCab
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Go to the Cableforums. There is a lot of knowledge on there..

12. burgeruk

burgeruk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    i'm currently with nildram,on 2meg,customer service is ok,fairly decent usage allowance,but it's uncapped between midnight and 8am,sometimes disconnects,and slow connecting first thing,i looked at that link above,it says my exchange will be enabled in march,but 24mb broadband?,is there such a thing in the uk

13. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yes there is, it says so right there on the Be website. Its a shame I can't get it. I may have to get Bulldog 8Mb for a few months, 8Mb seems slow now!