1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

choices, choices...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by papachumba, Oct 4, 2003.

1. papachumba

papachumba
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone,
    firstly i apologise if this post is in the wrong section but i didnt know where else to put it, and since my story starts with a plasma screen... )

Ill be buying the new Panny TH-42PW6B over the course of the next few days.
    Now i have a few options in terms of AV amp, hi-fi amp, speakers, etc and Im really confused which setup to go with.

Obviously cash factor is important, but then again, im willing to spend a few extra bob if what im getting is of higher quality/matching better with other components.

For speakers, id ideally really like to go for the new kef eggs 2005.2 with sub, as I heard only good things about them and they look so darn cool, BUT

these are my 3 choices for the other components (bear in mind that I dont want to mix & match these i.e maranz with rotel, etc. I want to have one brand only for all the components... I hate the look of a silver amp sitting there with a black cd player and a big fat av amp all looking totally different)

choice 1 (cheapest)
    hifi amp: marantz PM7200
    cdplayer: marantz CD6000OSE
    avamp: marantz SR7300

choice 2(medium)
    hifi amp: rotel RA1062
    cdplayer: rotel RCD02
    avamp: rotel RSX-1055

choice 3 (ouch)
    hifi amp: arcamA85
    cdplayer: arcamCD73T
    avamp: arcamAVR200

now my biggest concern is that the arcam components might be a bit of an overkill coupled with keff eggs, am I right in assuming so? My other alternative was to go for KEff Q1's but I really really like the eggs and the room is not TOO big.

which option would you go for and why?
    my preference is to go with rotel as the price is not going to drill a hole in my pocket (well it is - but not as much as arcam setup:p )and i think eggs would be ok with it. (also im not sure that rotel av amp is what i need - you will have to excuse my ignorance im a newbie..):rolleyes: if you can make a better recomendation go for it.

And finally - I need a list of ALL the cabling i will need for this. Obviouslly hifi cabling i havent got a problem with but those damned convertors you are talking about on this forum certainly confuse the hell outta me. :) I have looked through the forums and i have a few links to "apparently" good suppliers for cabling, i just need to know what to get, ie essential (and dont forget hi-q!) kit to connect everything up.

Ill be using my xbox to test a few dvds when the plasma arrives. (i no i no it aint perfect but that will have to do until i get enough money to go for a dvd player from one of the above brands... Sky will be used for terestrial tv so i dont need the tuner (darn still need to order that - thinking of buying a good quality sat receiver too - having a multi setup - sky + some other channels from a different satelite, canal + etc)

Why is it that when you have the money you want everything NOW, human nature is so selfish sometimes... :) I cant wait to get this kit into my new place...

2. papachumba

papachumba
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone?

3. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    What I have is sort of Option 3 and is bloomin fantastic

The A75+ is a great amp and has loads of grunt so I wouldn't recommend going for the 85 in a small room.

Both the A75+ & CD72T have been replaced but are still available for knock down prices (I paid under £650 for the two)

Amp wise I'm not a fan of the avr200 & it does lack the 6.1 option - I'd look at Pioneer (2011,1011 or 912) or Denon (2803 or 3803 which are now available in silver)

4. papachumba

papachumba
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'd really like to get the av200 as it has an integrated hifi amp and i could spend less money right now getting this and then waiting till i get some money together to buy the A85 or A75. I hear it sounds the dog's b****cks too...

The lack of 6.1, is it really so important? I dont understand why would arcam release a new av amp without this?

Those keff eggs are worrying me too as they are supposedly not that good with music... q1 instead? oh but those eggs look so nice

uaaaaaaaaarh i just dont know what to do :rolleyes:
    :confused:

5. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    the eggs are good with music so get them now. sub sats are always gonna be a compromise with music, but there ok. your gonna have to spend a bit more if you want a very very good sub sat package for music.
    i personnaly couldn't hack it any longer and have bought a separate hifi and hc, so getting a dedicated cd player is a very good start.
    oh and get the arcam package, it looks sexy and can really deliver the goods. but there dvd players seem a bit hit and miss with different software (dvd's).
    search this forum for owners stating 'this film wouldn't play or that film kept crashing my player'.

rgds

s.

6. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    AVR200 is not new & will be replaced soon no doubt. It is a compromise IMHO - an amp that is musical certainly but really doesn't cut it as an all out av amp. If you want a one box solution then NAD may be a better bet (lot's of good things said in the AV Amp forum). For me I couldn't find an AV amp that did it for me in both areas, so two boxes was the obvious solution.

Q1 is an absolute belter of a speaker & definitely a better hi-fi choice than the eggs (which do look nice I'll admit). One thing that may interest you is that Kef have announced a new "baby Q" which is the size of a small bookshelf speaker that should make an excellent surround speaker.