1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choices..... choices!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by mobily, Jan 12, 2004.

1. mobily

mobily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello all,

I have just purchased a Sony dav-s550 home cinema system and I am looking for the perfect TV to go with it. I am selling my current television which is a Sharp 24" widescreen (I never was happy with it) for a flat screen 28" model.

The problem is, which one to choose!!! There are so many different televisions out there that even drawing up a shortlist is difficult!

I have quite specific requirements in that I only want a TV with nicam stereo as I shall be piping all my sound through the Sony system. I am also after a television that has component video inputs, but after extensive research it would seem there are very few 28" models with such a facility.

I am now thinking that settling for a TV with 2 RGB and s-video would be better, however I have heard that the Sony system does have quite a bit of grain through through it's s-video connection.

I have had my eye on the Toshiba 28ZD26 but after doing a search on here for it there seems to be many negative comments about this model such as buzzing and poor picture. Although admittedly I haven't seen one in person I am always wary of visiting places like Comet or Dixons as they staff seem to know nothing and it's difficult to judge if you like a TV or not on a shop floor.

I am moving soon and have also to decide whether to get IDTV or a seperate set top box.

Throw in the old age debate of 50hz versus 100hz and my head is spinning like a catherine wheel! :rolleyes:

For me, spending about £500-600 on a TV is quite a lot of money and I want to make sure I am well pleased with my purchase once I get it home and set up. I don't know much about the whole area of AV, but I am learning mainly through the use of these forums.

If anyone can help I would be extremely grateful!!! :laugh:

Thanks,

James

2. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your budget is arround £500 and you want component inputs then the only TV I can think of is the Toshiba 32Z17 which is a 32 inch model from www.hificonfidential.com for £499. I was considering this TV and downloaded the manual this is how I know it has component inputs, it is an older discontinued model (last years I think) which is why it is so cheap.

It's just one of the many sets to consider for the price.

For Instance www.comet.co.uk have a Toshiba 32Z23 which does not have component inputs but is a newer model (6 months since they stopped making them for £499 with free delivery.

Then there is the Panasonic TX28PS1 which is a current model for arround £365.

I am reccomending 50Hz sets btw as I have had three nasty experience of 100Hz models so far but there are others on here that swear by them, its all down to personal taste, I just wanted to show you that your £500 - £600 budget can get you a larger flat screen.

Have a search for the models I have mentioned using the search facility as I am sure there will have been previous owners with opinions.

Difficult bussiness these days buying a tv that you will be ultimately happy with as I am finding out myself.

Good Luck

Robert.