1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choices, choices ... What pro or amp?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Andy_Brentford, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Andy_Brentford

Andy_Brentford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have be a regular reader, but this is my first post...

The core of my hifi came together 5 or so years ago, with add-ons to build on this for HC purposes. Over the last 6 months or so, I have been upgrading bits, and I now need some advice for my next step.

As the system stands:

Pana TH42PW
    NAD T550
    Yam E800
    NAD C320
    Yam CDX493
    PMC FB1/TB2C + KEF KHTs for rears
    REL Q150E

The plasma was bought just before Christmas replacing Philips 32 WS and the PMCs last summer replacing B&W DM601s1/CC3s1.

The next stage is the DVD, integrated amp and processor/surround amp.

I think I'm clear on the DVD front as I have just about made my mind up to go for the DV88+. Then it becomes a lot more unclear.

When I bought the PMC's I was intending on getting the Arcam A85 pretty quickly...I didn't. The NAD just hasn't got the power reserves to control the PMCs. However, now I'm also starting to think about DPL2 and the possibilities of a 7 speaker HC set-up.

Performance in stereo is important to me, so I would take some convincing that an AV-amp (c. £1000-1500) would perform on a par with the A85.

The choices I have been coming up with would be along the lines of:

1. A85 + Denon 3803-or similar
    2. Rotel pro + power
    3. Denon A11SR-or similar

Or save a bit longer and convince myself that I really should spend £5-6K on a Arcam AV8+P7.

But are there other options which I haven't considered? Or just respond with any other comments or views.

Thanks

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    How about Cyrus AV8 (PLII but no 7 ch currently ... I think they are planning it as an add-on / upgrade) with poweramps (not necessarily Cyrus)?

The Processor is £1200 I think ... maybe match with Arcam P85 + P85/3 or a Rotel 5 channel power amp.

Or ... as you say ... the Rotel RSP1060 processor ... though it does have bass management problems with multi-channel input if thats important to you.

Also for similar money I think there is a Roksan and Naim processors. All these will probably be better for music than the A11SR ... though the A85 (or similar) + 3803 (or similar) also has a lot to recommend it. Depending on how important the home cinema aspect is ... you don't have to go as high as the 3803 ... so long as the AV amp you buy has pre-outs for the front channels you'll be okay ... Yamaha AX-V630, Marantz SR5300, etc would also do the job well and of course are considerably less than the processor option.

Victoria

3. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    Bryston powerpacs for your FB1's and Rotel 1075 or 1095 for surrounds, front centre and centre rears.

Processor is much harder and depends a lot on your budget, there are some bargain Tag AV32R's on Tags site.

4. Andy_Brentford

Andy_Brentford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Victoria.

The Cyrus is certainly something to think about, as I'm sure it works well in stereo.

I really want to move to the next level, and so would want to really notice something more. I have been happy with the E800 but think that things must have moved on over the last 3-4 years. So I would want to go for a high mid-range replacement.

But I am now starting to think that I really should get a little more integrated and be looking to a processor and power amp(s).

I've just been reading the other Rotel thread. That does sound interesting (bass mgt aside) - but I must say I am dubious about What hifi reviews. Has anybody heard this vs other combos/integrateds?

5. Andy_Brentford

Andy_Brentford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, must admit I'd forgotten about the Powerpacs...that does add another level to my thinking.

Thanks for the memory jog.

6. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Out of interest ... how much would Bryston Powerpacs be?

7. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302