1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choice on High-End Headphones.

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Krakkius, May 4, 2005.

1. Krakkius

Krakkius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking into buying some extremely high quality headphones. I've looked into a small variety so far of the high-end, DJ headphones and have come across the following:

SONY MDR-7505 (My friend has a pari of these and I love the quality)
    SONY MDR-V900
    SONY MDR-SA3000

I'm just looking for everyones recommendations. Which would/did you choose? Were you happy? Would you change? I really want to get the best if I am going to be paying a lot of money. Feel free to suggest new brands/models.

I want the highest quality experience I can. Some headphones that will allow me to sit back and really listen to the details of a song.

Thanks,
    Nat.

2. rOAdeh

rOAdeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Any reason as to why you are looking only at Sony and/or DJ headphones?

DJ headphones tend to be closed designs, which is important if you do not want to disturb others around you and will generally provide more isolation. Open back headphones generally have a much more airy and natural soundstage although they are audible by others in the same room.

Headphone choices will also be influenced in particular by your taste in music and also your budget. Without either of these things it will be hard to help you choose. Some major brands include Sennheiser, Grado, AKG and Beyer Dynamic.

If you are thinking about spending a lot on headphones (say > £150) it would also be worth considering purchasing a seperate dedicated headphone amp to maximise the potential of any headphone you buy.

HTH,

Ben

3. Krakkius

Krakkius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I need headphones and I want the best. So far I have only heared these types and loved them to bits so much that i'm willing to pay the high price for them. I have enough money but i'll only buy it if I can justify the worth of it to myself.

I usually listen to Alternative Rock music so I like a good quality bass.

I'm really quite a newbie when it comes to sound equipment and the numbers i'm given really mean nothing to me. I understand the frequency range measures the capacity of sound ranges it can output but that's about it.

4. big_marcelo

big_marcelo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try the Sennheiser's HD590's - fantastic quality sound and perfect base. The only issue is that there is bit of noise leakage (open air at the back)... not much. Much better than Sony's and extremely confortable to use....

The HD600's is more for classical music and the HD570 doesn't have great definition.... the Sennheiser range is excellent... also try looking at review from http://www.audioreview.com/headphones-home-audio/headphones/Sennheiser/PRD_118011_2750crx.aspx

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Hi Krakkius....The list given above of manufacturers is a good start,and you could also take a look at Stax if your budget extends that far.

As a couple of others have mentioned above,if you really are going to spend a lot on a pair of headphones,you really should also consider a good headphone amp(assuming the H/phones aren't electrostatics such as Stax)to get the best out of them.

There are amps from under £100 to over £2k so there should be something to fit into whatever budget you had in mind.

Just to give you some sort of idea of what's in your price range,did you have any sort of upper limit in mind,and then those of us here may be able to give you a closer idea of what to look at.

6. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Adding to what's already been said, and assuming you realise the price that headphones can rise to, if you're looking for the best, your choices should extend far beyond a few Sony models. If you like Sony, though, add the CD3000 to your list. A little difficult to get hold of here, but you can get them shipped in from the States.

It might be an idea for you to give us your budget, because one man's high price is another man's entry level. We could recommend anything from £70 all the way up to ridiculous prices like £10k Sennheiser Orpheus. My guess is you're looking for something in between, but we can't know that. Until we know, we'd just be shooting our mouths off and possibly wasting our time and yours.

While you're thinking about it, check out:
    Sennheiser
    Grado
    Beyerdynamic
    Stax
    Audio Technica
    AKG

That should keep you busy, have a look at those brands, check out some of the products they sell, look at which ones fit your price range and we can start you off from there.

7. Suave

Suave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +705
    Hi Krakkius..

You say you want the very best headphones that one can get - well that depends on your budget but I trust you want very high end audiophile quality.
    Look at:

Top End Stax models - between £400 - £2000
    Sennheiser Orphues £10K!
    AKG K1000's - £400 - 600
    Sony Qualia - £2000
    Top End Audio Techica's - go up to £3k.

Go to www.audiocubes.com as they have some very nice high end headphones that are not even available in the UK generally as there was probably no percieved market for expensive headphones in the UK but the have some sublime top end headphones there.

Suave!

8. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    "Some headphones that will allow me to sit back and really listen to the details of a song."
    The Sony Qualia 010 would be what you want for the last word in detail, and would need to be supported by comparable equipment. It's not for everyone though... it has some sonic characteristics which may offend those looking for a smooth sound like the Sennheiser HD650 / Stax Omegas. The Qualia is roughly £1,700 imported, as is the Omega II. I don't know what your source is, but to get the best out of phones like this you're looking at something along the lines of £2,000+ for a computer-based source (soundcard + DAC), and £3,000+ for a disc spinner. You'll also need an amp for the Qualia. The £1,000ish Headroom Max would be a good place to start.

9. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I think we scared him away. :oops:

10. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Quite possibly....the thought of laying out several thousands of your hard earned on a H/p system can do that...especially considering the Orpheus still needs a decent set of interconnects etc!....the Headroom Max does look the part though.