1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choice of three amps?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by newbie265, Oct 5, 2004.

1. newbie265

newbie265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ok I am going to Sevenoaks tomorow to demo pioneer ax51 and 868 and denon 3805 and 3910.But I am thinking now marantz may be worth a listen as I watch a lot of musical dvds as well as films and will be using it for sacd and dvda .Are the marantzs a match for the other two,and what dvd player would best match the 7500,8500 and do they play dvda and sacd?

2. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, if you look here, www.avland.co.uk, there are a few Marantz models already on the website, but are not quite yet available. If you look in the DVD section you will see some rather nice looking machines, which match the amps. In my opinion they look far better than the Denon stuff. But obviously more important, not sure if they will perform as well as the Denon stuff in terms of picture quality.

3. newbie265

newbie265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Is there a big difference between the 7400 and the 7500 and 8500? as I don't think I can wait untill next year may try out the 7400 against teh other two.Anyone done this comparison?

4. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,145
    The 7500 is a direct evolution of the 7400 and the 8500 is an upspecced 7500. In other words if you can live without two more component video ins, THX cetification and DVI switching on the 8500, the 7400 is still a mighty fine amp.

5. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tons of fun, can you tell me what the Marantz amps are like in terms of 'effects steering'? I have a Yamaha amp which I am happy with at the moment but I really like the idea of the new Marantz amps. I know they are very good in stereo, but are they as good with multi-channel? How do they compare to the likes of Yamaha and Denon??

6. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If music DVDs are your thing try the arcam AVR300/DV79

7. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,145
    Marantz have made some big steps in their surround recently- the SR7400 was about the first of their amps I listened to that had a real rear soundfield in films- the steering was natural enough to not actually register. With films my Pioneer AX3 is better but has a poorer spec and a pretty rough stereo performance. I am pretty sure that the 7500/8500 will be very competitive film machines with good musicality to boot.