1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

choice of sub

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by tom_painter85, Feb 3, 2005.

1. tom_painter85

tom_painter85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    morning all

reading around this forum as i'm in need of a sub (obviously)

i started off looking at the Tannoy TS8 which is retailing at around £175 atm. then started looking properly and discovered the wonderful BK XLS200, and also the Velodyne CHT10 in the powerbuy.

originally the tannoy was going to complement my current set-up (see signature) but really, i'd rather shell out more cash and go for a top-quality sub and really enjoy it. i'm looking for something musical, which is why the XLS sounds appealing, but i'm a big fan of movies too (yes i know i bought NAD but i like it :) )

has anyone got any suggestions as to which one would suit?

budget: up to £300
    room size: 5x5 (but with a king-size in the room this makes a difference)

i know i'd be better off to test them personally, and i will eventually (i hope) but i'm looking for a few pointers really.

just as an afterthought, i don't know if anywhere will be able to give me an exact copy of my set-up, as long as i find somewhere with my amp it shouldn't be too much of a problem

thank you in anticipation

Regards

Tom

:)

2. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Tom - can't unfortunately comment on the subs you mention, but just so as you don't delude yourself (and perhaps others) on the forum, you won't at street (or realistically even second hand) prices purchase a "top-quality sub" for your budget of £300. (I don't mean that to come across as rude :) ).There are others at this price point too which you might look at however - best thing as always is to try to get a demo. if you can...............

3. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You wont get a demo of the XLS200, which I would recommend. Many of us on the forums have got one now, and I havent heard a bad comment on them yet. For the money you will be hard pushed to find something better mate, trust me.

As for the Tannoy... pfff. They really are meant to be very poor indeed.

4. tom_painter85

tom_painter85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hehe, sorry, didn't really think about that before i wrote it...i meant something along the lines of 'for £300 i want the best sub i can get'... :blush:
    no worries!

looks like the BK it is then...thank you chaps, although i may be back asking for various upgrades to the rest of the set-up in the near future (upgraditis is a wonderful thing unless you're paying rent... :D )

thanks also for the heads-up about the tannoy...was almost the answer i was expecting for £175 but you never know...

cheers

now...rent or sub...hmmm..... :D

5. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    £300 does buy a decent sub now-a-days, ok, you aren't going to rival the likes of the big SVS, B&W, Velodyne, REL and MJ Acoustics of the world, but you can get a sub with quality performance.

There aren't many though.

The ones worth considering at £300 and under are:

BK XLS200
    Mordaunt Short MS309 and the MS409
    Wharfdale SW150
    Velodyne CHT10 and CHT10R
    KEF PSW 2500

And, erm........I think that is about it :).

If you increased your budget by another £100, then you open yourself up to some interesting options:

SVS PB10

And this little mysterious number from Sony: http://www.avland.co.uk/sony/sawx900/index.htm

The SAW X900, a couple of forum members have this sub and are happy with it, although I haven't heard one personally. Its specs are certainly impressive for the money.

6. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    i am far from an expert on these matters but surely if you looked into the secondhand market some of the current out of reach subs would become available

only trying to help :laugh:

7. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Wow - that is a serious spec. for the money :eek:

8. tom_painter85

tom_painter85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    with the Velo CHT10 in the powerbuy, its put comfortably in reach for a lot of people... :)

but would you recommend it over the BK? i'm not too fussed about spending a huge amount on a sub, as frankly i don't have the ideal place to use it to it's maximum...but some decent effects would be nice for once...:)

but then again i may as well spend the cash now and i'll have it for when i can use it, i'm torn.

while the SVS may be very nice (xmas 2007 please!) i can't really justify it with the set-up i already have...can i?!

9. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    A good subwoofer will work with any system. Personally, I'd say, give that Sony a try out, it may well be a dark horse :).

There is a large jump between the budget and mid range subwoofers in terms of sound quality. The Quad L Subwoofer is a good example in the £700 price bracket, very good subwoofer, and would be my choice in that range.

Above all, try to take time out to listen to more than one subwoofer, a room also makes a lot of difference, room acoustics are our biggest enemy :)

10. Mroizouk

Mroizouk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've heard the sony SAWX900 and it's good

11. tom_painter85

tom_painter85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    the acoustics in my av room are poor...its my bedroom and like i said i've got a sodding great bed in the way...i'm going to have a play around with the set-up at the weekend, maybe i'll get myself a better sound but i'm not totally sure. i'm still not sure whether to go for velo, might have to see if i can demo that, but like you've all been saying, the chances of it sounding remotely the same in my room are approx zero-to-none... :(

but nevertheless, i'll see what i can find - going round to a mate's house tomorrow for a demo of his £40k Linn stuff... :eek:

i'm sure he'll give me some ideas and might even be able to get some demo models for me, as he installs AV Kit for a living...i want his job so much....*dribbles*

i'll mention the BK to him - i'm sure he's heard it at least once and he'll give me some pointers too... :thumbsup:

i'll keep you all posted

cheers