1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choice of screen / where to buy from?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by MarkusThatch, Apr 29, 2005.

1. MarkusThatch

MarkusThatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,103
    Hi, I've got an infocus 4805 but am struggling to sort out a screen. My local av dealer suggested a screen with 79" diagonal - I'm wondering if a bigger screen would be realistic given type of projector I've got. Anyone got any advice? Also, I'm reluctant to buy a screen from web dealer, could buy from worcestershire, gloucestershire, south wales (cardiff, newport). Help! :lease:

2. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Why are you reluctant to buy from web? You can get some very good deals there.
    DRH (drhscreens.co.uk) do very cheap electric screens, or Grandview (at intoav.com) or Beamax (beamaxed.co.uk), which are a bit pricier, but have quieter motors. These companies will help you through installation & are very helpful.

I myself am probably going to buy a fixed frame from carada.com in the U.S.
    There are a lot of very satisfied Carada customers on this forum & David Giles at
    Carada is very helpful & will talk you through whole process like correct screen size & gain for your pj. Check on infocus website to see what screen size will go
    with your throw distance on the 4805.

Good luck,

T.

3. Crivens

Crivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I myself pretty much buy everything on the web if it's over £50. These days shop prices are for people without a web connection. Total rip off in vast majority of cases. And with such tools as Dealtime, Unbeatable, and Kelkoo, then you have no excuse, especially with the 7 day rule. ie. if you want to return it within 7 days of getting it, then it doesn't matter why, they have to take it back. Something to do with you never actually had it in your hands when you bought it.

Oh, and when you have decent forums like this one, then you can research suppliers a lot better.

Which reminds me, I'm just about to phone DRH to order a screen. Heh, the reason I'm not buying it over the web is because it won't fit in my car (deliver to work), and no-one will be in the house in the day. Apparently they can get it delivered on a saturday for an extra £20, but only if you phone them. Tops.

Cheers

4. ICEAV

ICEAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would ask these questions first re how big should you have...

First are you reading or watching the content..dvd movie or text

What is the light level of the viewing environment?

What is the viewing distance from the screen?

The question you ask relates to how much should your horizontal field of vision be occupied by the screen and that is primarily set by viewing distance and the screen width.

and of course how big is your screen wall.

Kevin Andreassend
    Chief Technology Officer
    ICE AV Technology Ltd
    Auckland
    New Zealand
    www.iceav.co.nz
    kevin@iceav.co.nz

5. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi mate I got a beamax screen installed it on the weekend ver good I must say got it from their web site £95 delivered :)