1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choice of Remote / input switching on plasma

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by converse120, Mar 15, 2004.

1. converse120

converse120
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Trying to select a remote control. Would like help with answers to a couple of questions. I’ve gone through the forum and remotecentral.com and have not found ‘complete’ answers.

I have a Panasonic TH42PWD6 plasma with the combined component/s-video/composite board, and a Denon 3803 receiver which is being used to switch individual components. The screen and the receiver are connected by both component cables (for DVD/SKY) and by S-Video (for VHS – time base correction problem means that VCR can’t go from 3803 to screen via component)

I therefore need to be able to switch between input 2 and input 3 on the plasma, but the input button on the Plasma’s remote cycles through the inputs. If I’m watching on input 2 (S-Video), 1 press of the input button will take me to input 3 (Sky/DVD), but if I’m watching input 3 I have to press twice (once to go to PC input and again to go to input 2).

I assume I could program a Pronto NEO or Sony RMAV300T to do this with a macro, but is it possible to go direct to an input number? (And am I referring to what I’ve seen described as ‘discrete codes’ here?)

Second question – my preferred choice of remote is the Sony RMAV3000T, for having lots of nicely labelled hard buttons for basic operation, and because I’m not a big fan of touch screens. I know I can’t program the Sony on a PC, but I already know it can do most of what I want using macros. Can anyone alert me to any other reasons why I should choose a NEO over the Sony? I’ve seen both for around £130 for UK models. I’ve tried a Oneforall6, but it didn’t suit me or seem powerful/flexible enough.

The gear list (in case it makes a difference) is:

Denon 3803 receiver
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Panasonic TH42PWD6 plasma
    Amstrad Sky Digital STB
    Sony SLV-SE800 VHS
    OLD JVC VHS operating as a terrestrial TV tuner (to be replaced with Freeview box (Sony?))

In time, but not this year, VCR will be replaced with DVD-Recorder

Thanks for any help/advice.

2. Big Al

Big Al
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can you assign your AV inputs to tv Channels. On my Hitachi 42PD300 & 32PD300 I've set AV1 as 6, Av2 as 7 etc. This gets away from the need to use the AV to scroll through.

If not check out remote central under the discrete codes section

Big Al

3. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Unfortunately nobody has discrete codes for panny 6 input selection - best we have is that the PC input is available as a discrete code so you can create a macro that switches first to the pc input, and then to an offset from that. Not ideal, but there you go.

Wasn't there a thread in the plasma forum about TBC via a Denon recently ? I thought the poster found an option in the Denon to cope with it, but my memory might be a bit fuzzy.

Cheers, Carl.

4. Kazuya Mishima

Kazuya Mishima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I have a Panny 4 series. Apologies if this suggestion is no good - is there any possibility that the discrete codes for the Panny 4 could work for the Panny 6?

5. bobgriffiths

bobgriffiths

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im working on it i'll let you Know.you might have seen my name on RC or my collegue Wolf 359
    this is a long term project of mine... trying to get easy discrete panna codes or even simple macros i have work arounds for the standard CRT sets but nothing for the module plasma sets as of yet. but work is in progress

6. converse120

converse120
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies.

I was the poster re: the TBC issue - it's because of this that I need to use the S-Video input on the PWD6 for VHS, instead of solely component. But I want to make use of the component input for DVD/Sky, especially since the component cable cost me £80 !

Cheers

7. Andrew_B

Andrew_B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I use a Harmony SST-659 remote, which has discrete codes for PC, Component, & AV inputs on my Toshiba/Panny4. My Prontos are just gathering dust now because the Harmony has real buttons, including cursor keys for Sky+. It's just so much easier to live with than a Pronto. Cost £149.99.